Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 04:58 PM   #1

Reflection from slide window affects view in driver-side mirror on Berk 34QS

I have often had trouble using the driver-side mirror when backing into a camp spot. I noticed that there is often a bright reflection superimposed over the mirror view that I want.

It took a while to figure this out. The problem happens when I'm backing into a spot with tree cover, so that it is dark. But, the front windshield is facing a wide open, bright sky. My 34QS has "bay windows" on the living room slide, so that when the slide is retracted, one of the windows is right behind the driver's head. So, the light comes in the front windshield, bounces off the slide window and is headed for the driver-side mirror. Often that is more light than I get from the spot beside the RV that I need to see.

I wonder how may other RVs have a similar front-facing LR slide window. They likely have the same problem.

I just bought a black terry cloth bath towel and will mount/drape it on a horizontal stick and hang it from the ceiling behind the driver. I've just got enough room to mount it and not hit it with the slide. It will be removable, using eye screws.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

I have had this issue with both my '08 and now with my '14 Berkshire. I have tried putting a dark blue towel on my dashboard because that is where the reflection is coming from. It helps somewhat but the reflection on my drivers side window is still there. I wish there was a solution to the issue. I posted about this problem years ago when I first got my '08 but the issue is still present.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

My MH is parked now, so I haven't tried my solution, yet. I'll report back. Note that it puts the towel just in front of the mirror that gives the reflection.

When I drive, I can see ghost images of power poles, grain elevators and clouds that are in the right side of my view. They are above the dashboard.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #4

I have been fighting this issue since day one. I brought it to the attention of FR but so far they provided no help. As you said conditions have to be right for this to happen but drivers mirror is useless.

Wayne
Old 08-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #5

It happens at the most in opportune times too.
55post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:43 PM   #6

Same problem for me on my berk. Thought about having anti glare film put on inside to prevent reflection.

Chris & Carol
2016 Berkshire 38A
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox base plate & tow bar. Air Force one Braking system.
ccupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #7

Wow, I thought it was just me! This is truly annoying when it occurs, but it does happen a lot to me as well. I find myself putting it in "park" more often and getting out and looking at what is happening first hand.
Pacific Northwest
Subsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #8

I had to drive my brother in laws 2014 Tiffin Allegro and its so bad just driving down the road it's difficult to even use the drivers side mirror. Much worse than my Berkshire. Still, it is annoying when you're trying to backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Toad: 2002 Jeep Wrangler

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:05 AM   #9

I have been dealing with this since I bought my 08 new. I always blamed it on the double pane glass. In fact we schedule our arrival home to back in the driveway when the sun is not directly in front, and when we arrive at a campground at night we always get someone to assist.
GOOD LUCK
AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccupton View Post
Same problem for me on my berk. Thought about having anti glare film put on inside to prevent reflection.

Chris & Carol
2016 Berkshire 38A
2014 Honda CRV
Haven't had this problem with 38A,no windows in slide just wall for Fridge.
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:51 PM   #11

There is another source of ghost images from a side window refraction

I went out to my Berk 34QS today to install what I thought was the solution to my reflection problem. I attach a picture of the black towel behind the driver's seat. It covers the slide window behind the driver.

I didn't have the conditions to test whether it solved my problem. The problem occurs with bright light facing the front windshield and a dark space to the left of the coach into which I am backing. I didn't have the dark space.

However, I did mention that I also had noticed ghost images in my left mirror as I drive, and I assumed that they were related to the problems with the left mirror being overpowered by a reflection. Maybe they are related and maybe they aren't.

But, the big (bad?) news is that the towel doesn't get rid of the ghost images! Now we have a mystery and I looked more carefully. Obviously the ghost images aren't a reflection from the slide window and I couldn't find any other surface that would provide the reflection. I am able to identify the source of the ghost image because I can see the logo and windows on the trailer across from me.

I finally discovered that if I position a flat object like a book so that one edge is along the pillar between the windshield and left side driver window, and so that it goes back toward the driver in a manner that it doesn't block the driver's view, then the ghost image is blocked.

I'm a photographer and the necessary light path is perplexing. It has to be the case that the light enters the windshield and hits the driver's side window just behind the pillar, because my book was only blocking that light path. But, there is no way for the light to be reflected forward to the mirror. It must be refracted! That would require an incredibly high index of refraction. But, the side window might be laminated safety glass, which gives another surface for a second refraction. At any rate, the two refractions seem to turn the light by almost 90 degrees so that they hit the side mirror and reflect back to the driver.

OK, so this explanation is a bit complex, but there are three conclusions to draw from this:

1. The ghost problem can occur on a coach even if it doesn't have a forward-facing window on the slide behind the driver.

2. The ghost problem may or may not be the same as the problem that causes the side mirror to be virtually useless when backing into a dark spot. If it is not the same, my black towel solution may be all that is needed to solve the parking problem.

3. If the ghost problem is the same as the problem that makes it hard to back up, the solution is to fasten a flat vertical piece (black coroplast would be safe) with its edge along the pillar between the front windshield and the side window and aimed back at the driver in a way that does not block the driver's view. My guess is that something 6" wide by one or two feet tall would do the job.

I'll report back as to whether the towel solves the problem after my next trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towel to stop reflection.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	116525  
Old 08-07-2016, 07:33 AM   #12

Gordonsick,
On my 38A I do not have a window behind my head. There is just bad reflection off of surrounding interior. Like you I have had to stop and look where I am backing. This is an issue but how often are you backing compared to moving forward. Still looking for the right fix.

Chris & Carol
2016 Berkshire 38A
2014 Honda CRV
Blue Ox base plate & tow bar. Air Force one Braking system.
ccupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #13

I think that most of the problem is caused by light reflecting off the light (white) dash. If I cover the dash with a dark towel, most of the reflection is taken care of - not all of it though.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #14

My take on this is drivers side window is picking up reflection of windshield and drivers mirror is capturing that image. How to prevent it is the million dollar question

Wayne
Old 08-07-2016, 08:39 AM   #15

I had the same issue with my '08 and that had a 2 piece windshield.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
My take on this is drivers side window is picking up reflection of windshield and drivers mirror is capturing that image. How to prevent it is the million dollar question

Wayne

I just lower my windshield sun shade. It takes all the glare out. Works great when backing into my garage or a site.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #17

That was the next thing I was going to test to see if it worked. Did you pull it all the way down below the mirror?

Wayne
Old 08-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #18

I also have encountered this issue and it is very frustrating. I often have to look down at my small curved mirror to see what I need.

Regards,
Fred
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
That was the next thing I was going to test to see if it worked. Did you pull it all the way down below the mirror?

Wayne

Yes sir I did. Works great, there's still a little reflection but most of it is gone.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #20

Wayne,
How low can your sunshade go when your motor is on? Mine won't go very low and the source of my reflections in the sky seems to be below my sunshade, even when lowered.

Tags
reflection, slide