Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 11:48 PM   #1
Master of his Domain

Refrigerator condensate drain clog

I have a 2009 FR Berk 390BH with a Dometic dual fuel fridge, and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why the condensate will not drain out of the little catch basin in the back of the refrigerator.

I have "snaked" both the little hole shown in the picture and the half inch hose on the outside through which the condensate should exit the coach. I blew compressed air through the little hole, and that causes some of the water to run out of the outside hose.

But, the darn thing will not drain by gravity, leading to a daily puddle of water at the bottom of the refrigerator.

I'm thinking there must be some kind of gravity versus pressure tug of war going on, like pulling water out of a glass by putting your finger at the top of a straw.

Any ideas? Got a towel I can borrow?

Thanks,

Moose

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1157.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	151916
Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
Dragonship Captain

I'd have to futs with it, but one option is that you can install a new more direct drain hose....
Old 09-20-2017, 11:06 PM   #3
Just as confused as you

You may have a kink in the hose or it may be routed so the water has to try going uphill.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #4
Master of his Domain

Does anyone have a picture or good description of the back of the fridge where the condensate tray exits the refrigerator and connects to drain the hose? I'd hate to pull the fridge out of the wall to look. I went to a campingworld and they had a dometic fridge, but the display model was mounted in a wall-like display with the rear of it inaccessible.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:39 AM   #5

Mine had a black plastic hose, that did not drain properly from behind the refrigerator. From years of not drain correct it bubbles the paint between the frig and the storage compartment. ( water just ran in outside compartment) I pulled the hose right through the louver. In hot humid weather it sure drips a lot.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbramhall View Post
I have a 2009 FR Berk 390BH with a Dometic dual fuel fridge, and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why the condensate will not drain out of the little catch basin in the back of the refrigerator.

I have "snaked" both the little hole shown in the picture and the half inch hose on the outside through which the condensate should exit the coach. I blew compressed air through the little hole, and that causes some of the water to run out of the outside hose.

But, the darn thing will not drain by gravity, leading to a daily puddle of water at the bottom of the refrigerator.

I'm thinking there must be some kind of gravity versus pressure tug of war going on, like pulling water out of a glass by putting your finger at the top of a straw.

Any ideas? Got a towel I can borrow?

Thanks,

Moose

Attachment 151916
When you "Snaked your 1/2" hose" there should have been a "Bug Plug/Check Valve/Discharge pipe plug"inserted at the discharge end of this hose! It needed to be there for "Bug Control" if it is missing Bugs can build "Homes" that restrict flow! Youroo!!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #7

I've heard some folks insist that there should be a bend in that line to form a trap, which would apparently keep the bugs out.

I replaced the hose on my last trailer and tried it. With the bend the catch wouldn't drain; without the bend it would. So no bend for me.

Might yours have a bend in it, intentional or not?

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #8

There should be a black corregated hose connected to the outside of the refer on that drain. It usually goes to the outside of the camper through the vents on the outside of the amper. I have seen them not go outside and stupidly drained onto the floor or support for the refer. That hose, if in the shape of an "S" creates a trap which can prevent it draining properly.

Solution:
1. remove the outside vent cover behind your refer
2. locate corregated hose
3. insure hose is straight with no kinks or traps,
4. route it outside through the slots in the cover.
5. Reinstall cover,

There should be a clear or white little piece stuck in the outside end of that hose. It is there to prevent mud daubers from getting in and clogging the hose. DO NOT remove it!
Old 11-11-2017, 11:17 PM   #9
Master of his Domain

I’v been traveling and not keeping up with the forums. Apologies for not closing this out. The problem rectified itself when we arrived in a dryer climate. My problem existed in NOLA and Austin, but not in Big Bend or AZ. My assumption is that there was so much humidity getting into the fridge when the door was opened that that the little drain basin would fill up faster than it could drain. My guess is that there is no vent for the system, and it would pressure clog with in a high humidity environment when the basin level covered the drain hole. Not the best, as it failed when most needed. If I blew in the hose, it would drain, however, I looked silly doing that!

Tags
drain, refrigerator