Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #1

Regen

Has anyone had an issue with ever having to do a regen? If so what steps did u complete to do a regen? Just curious if it is something I should lookout for in the future.
MotoxDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #2

Guess I don't know what a regen is...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #3

Regen

Only with DEF Ernest.
I have a 2011 and to my knowledge it has never went into regen. It has never called for it and hasn't done it on its own. No idea how to do it and won't worry about it.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:48 AM   #4

Thanks Phil good to hear that you haven't had to deal with it.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoxDad View Post
Has anyone had an issue with ever having to do a regen? If so what steps did u complete to do a regen? Just curious if it is something I should lookout for in the future.
I always thought a regen was controlled by the engine computer? Err at least that is how it works on a truck...would a Berk be any different?

Only thing I would imagine you would notice - or be a indicator of regen - is your fuel economy goes in the toilet during regen. As I understand it a passive regen occurs automatically while you are driving and is completely transparent to the driver.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #6

I don't really know if the pickups are like the bigger units.

We have a few newer units at work and this regen is a pita. You just never know when the regen will happen and it happens so unexpectedly.

Our units are operating trucks not transporting trucks, so when your out in the field doing a job and the unit decides it's time to regen Thats it, your done, all systems shut down until the regen is completed. This is very annoying to say the least.

The actual regen process doesn't really take all that long, our units usually only take 20-25mins, usually.

The regen can happen once a month or two. There are a few factors like idle time, travel time.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #7

I usually travel with my instant mileage screen showing, or with the large digital mph showing. I often toggle back and forth between. The only way I know a regen is going on is when my fuel mileage drops for a while. It's pumping extra fuel into the exhaust system to burn out the soot... from what I understand about it... hence the drop in mileage. Of course, you can see that I drive a pickup and not a MH... but from what I've read, the regen process is the same across the spectrum of diesels that do it.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
Master of his Domain

My Berkshire had a light come on during regen. It was on the highway, and the color of the light was yellow. It came on red once, and that was when I stopped while the regen was running. My impression is that this was to warn me that exhaust temps were higher than usual and to be wary of flammables near the exhaust (e.g., tall grass). I did not observe the impact on fuel economy. Must have dropped, but I'm saying I didn't note it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 03-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

There's a LOT of info on the regen process if you read through the Freightliner manuals. The auto regen will only occur when driving above a certain speed. This is to make sure the high temp exhaust gases (approx 1,600F) are exhausted away from the MH properly. It also ensures no one gets near the exhaust during regen. There is a way to manually force a regen; the process us in the FL manuals. For the folks who don't understand regen, a very simplified explanation is the it's the process to clean the exhaust filtration system by basically burning the accumulated buildup off the ceramic filters.

2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #10

Regen

The only way I know my berk is performing a regen is because I notice a drop in fuel mileage. Normally when you take your foot of the gas, the instant MPG goes to 150.5 but when in regen will not. It is much lower. I usually stay around 70MPH and avg about 10 to 11 mpg depending on winds and hills. During regen my instant mpg goes down to around 8mpg. I've noticed this a few times now and last about 5 minutes or so. No light has ever come on though.

Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 Cadillac SRX (toad)
FB
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #11
Master of his Domain

I figured I'd check the manual on my 2009 390BH. Here's the page with the dash lights...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1457466236.958430.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	101387

Sorry it's sideways

Old 03-08-2016, 04:13 PM   #12

If your berk uses def fluid you won't know it's happening unless your dpf filter is clogged and need to do a parked regen. Def fluid is used when it burns off the soot. It's also my understanding you will not get a drop in mpg since its using the def fluid for this process. I do a lot of hwy driving with my 2012 berk never had a lower mpg and never had to do a parked regen. I go thru about 1 gal of def fluid per 2-300 miles. I have 45k on it now.

klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #13

All great information to know. Thanks
Old 03-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucas View Post
If your berk uses def fluid you won't know it's happening unless your dpf filter is clogged and need to do a parked regen. Def fluid is used when it burns off the soot. It's also my understanding you will not get a drop in mpg since its using the def fluid for this process. I do a lot of hwy driving with my 2012 berk never had a lower mpg and never had to do a parked regen. I go thru about 1 gal of def fluid per 2-300 miles. I have 45k on it now.

Not doubting your word but, Woah! Waitamin...DEF usage is typically injected into the exhaust stream by a metering system at a rate of 2% of diesel consumption. So, to keep the math simple, 2% of 100 gal = 2gal DEF; worse case assume 9MPG** = 900 miles. So, 1 GAL DEF per 450 miles of travel.

** Some Berk owners are reporting MPG in the 10-11 range.

So now MY question is can something go screwy with the DEF injector? Is a high DEF usage rate indicative of something going wrong in the engine or exhaust systems?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Not doubting your word but, Woah! Waitamin...DEF usage is typically injected into the exhaust stream by a metering system at a rate of 2% of diesel consumption. So, to keep the math simple, 2% of 100 gal = 2gal DEF; worse case assume 9MPG** = 900 miles. So, 1 GAL DEF per 450 miles of travel.

** Some Berk owners are reporting MPG in the 10-11 range.

So now MY question is can something go screwy with the DEF injector? Is a high DEF usage rate indicative of something going wrong in the engine or exhaust systems?

It may be more on occasion- (def usage). But I have the 360 engine and a lead foot. We mostly travel in the mountains so I don't get 10mpg.

klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #16

I need to fill my DEF tank every three fill-ups

Mike & Amy + 3 and the dogs!
2014 berkshire 390bh-40
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoxDad View Post
John - Regen most of the time happens automatically. However with certain driving habits, like always short trips, you will be alerted on the dash to do a manual Regen. There is several alert severity levels. A high severity level will incapacitate the RV from moving.

An excellent past thread on this explains regen.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tch-89652.html
Hank