Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

Replace Dometic refrigerator with residential

I am considering replacing my frig in my 2011 40BH Dometic as I cannot keep it on constant 34 degree. It goes up to 52 then 12 hours drops back down. Not sure why. When it's parked and plugged in storage stays on 34 but when we travel go up and down. Any thoughts and how difficult to replace so it can be consistent or what am I doing wrong? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Texas Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #2

Go ahead and do this mod. You will not regret it. You will have a fridg that will cool down fast and stay consistent with the temps. It is not a bad job. Samsung fridg cost me 900$ and handy man helper cost me 100$. With the time I spent removing old unit total time for job was less than an average day. Mine had a 1200 watt inverter and four batts. This run mine just fine. We do quite a bit of boon docking and have not had a problem. You can run generator for a hour in the morn and same in the evening. This is without a dought the best mod you can make to a motor home. Let me know how it come out or if you have any questions. IRV2 has a lot of info on this subject. Just go there and Google it. I read every article they had before I done it. You won't regret doing this. Joe
Gacman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:09 PM   #3

I did mine in my 5er and my previous 5er and if we upgrade again I will do it again.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Realtor View Post
I am considering replacing my frig in my 2011 40BH Dometic as I cannot keep it on constant 34 degree. It goes up to 52 then 12 hours drops back down. Not sure why. When it's parked and plugged in storage stays on 34 but when we travel go up and down. Any thoughts and how difficult to replace so it can be consistent or what am I doing wrong? Thanks

I would call Dometic first I think they came out with a new fix for your stat.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #5

Gacman13 what type of Samsung did you get and where!! I appreciate everyone's advice as the current Dometic frig for past 2 years has never been consistent on trips and I could not understand why and my DW did not want to use it so we always had ice chest which is pain in ---.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #6

I used a Samsung RF18hfenbsr. Home Depo has them for 1249.00$. They just happened to be on sale when I got mine.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #7

Looks like height could be issue on that Samsung. Did you have to modify the top above the refrigerator as it shows 71 inches tall but Dometic shows 63 inches. Looks nice and thinking of biting Bullet just hoping it fits

Old 02-16-2015, 03:33 PM   #8

Yes the height is an issue. I had a 2011 39RB Berkshire. I got the extra room out of the bottom. There was a dead space there of 6 to 8 inches can't remember. But it just was enough. My refrigerator was in front behind the passenger seat. The width and the depth worked perfect.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #9

We had the same problem with are 2010 BH. Check the thermostat out side in the control box your plug maybe lose. If not I put a black screen on the inside the cover or door and tapped it. Thinking that air going in sort of would blow out the flames. So far it stays at 36 even going down the road. It's been 1yr. And no problem. It even keeps my ice cream frozen and ice buildup in it.
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:31 PM   #10

Gacman would you post pictures and more details on your project? I have a 2011 and have thought about doing this. How did you get the new one in? Did you have to reinforce the floor? Did you need to add any trim to the sides?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:40 PM   #11

I brought mine in through the safety window behind the drivers seat. It was very tight fit even with all doors removed. I removed all doors from Dometic and took it out the entrance door. There Was a space under the Dometic that was enough for the extra height. Once this was removed there was a good solid piece of plywood there. I cut a couple of pieces of 3/4 plywood and bolted them to the bottom of the new refrigerator before installing and let it overhang the rear so I could screw it to the floor once it was installed. There was a piece of wood on the inside top used for a brace that I had to cut down so I could get the new one in. I also bolted a piece across the top back that was screwed to each side wall to help steady the top of the fridgerator. There was a small gap around the top and sides maybe 3/8 inch. I also took the rollers off and cut the plywood I used on the bottom to fit the lowest points on the bottom.
I don't have any pics of this and have since traded this bus for another one.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:46 PM   #12

The small gaps on the sides could be left or not. It was not very much so I left mine. I did seal the outside vents to keep air from coming in or going out. I guess if you sealed the sides with trim you might could leave the outside vents alone. They will no longer serve any purpose. This was not a bad job and was worth it all. The bus I traded for is all electric. I like that and we do a fair amount of dry camping. A residential refer only uses a very small amperage. The ice maker uses the most when it dumps. We kept ours off except when we were plugged up to electric and water.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #13

Thanks for taking the time to give us more details. I'm on the fence right now. My Refrigerator works ok but the defrosting is a pain. We full time so it would be nice to have a better option. Thanks again.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:17 AM   #14

I had alot of difficulty with my Dometic Refrigerator when we were driving and which is built into my slide. After having it in and out of the shop for warranted repair I finally gave up and started to search for the problem my self and found the gas hose that came from the propane tank to the supply to the refrigerator was being kinked when the slide was pulled in. The hose is the connection from the fixed part of the MH body to the slide connection to the refrigerator and Stove.
johnny duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #15

Replace Dometic refrigerator with residential

I have a 2011 39 BH as Dometic not in slide but above floor heater. I have to find about 68 inch tall refrigerator and that looks like cutting about 4 to 5 inches in trim above my domestic almost to ceiling 26 inch depth and 33 wide. Been hard to find a fit but think I have maybe in Maytag 19.7 French door it's 68 3/8 high. Any recommendation if someone done this appreciated!

Old 02-24-2015, 01:12 AM   #16

I believe the Samsung 197 is a direct replacement, or really close. That is what my friend used.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:42 PM   #17

Samsung 197 shows 70 inches tall and I can't see that fitting about the floor heater that current fridge sits on and it's 63 inches tall. Might be able to squeeze another 5 inches of cutting the top trim board but seems to be pushing it at 70 inches

Old 02-24-2015, 11:54 PM   #18

Vissani, Home Depot <$500 ...60 inch tall 25 wide approximate.... Had to trim the side a hair to fit it in.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	70223

Had a sheet metal shop bend the little brown trim piece to cover the shave
Old 02-25-2015, 12:34 AM   #19

Maytag 19.7-cu ft French Door Refrigerator with Single Ice Maker (Stainless Steel) this shows to need 68.375 inches tall. May be worth a look.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #20

Next mod!
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, refrigerator