Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #1

Replacement Driver Side Mirror for 2015 Berk?

I had an odd incident with my Berk while driving in a construction zone in Pennsylvania. They narrowed the road to the left side to go right beside the concrete divider. Those dividers contain signs that extend out beyond the barrier, which is no problem if there is a shoulder beside the barrier, but they forced us to drive on that shoulder. Then, a construction worker moved toward the driving area to retrieve some debris and I diverted left while watching him.

Bottom line is that my driver side mirror hit a sign. It didn't damage the outside housing, since it managed to rotate out of the way. And, the camera survived, FWIW. But, the flat and concave mirror shattered and fell off.

So, my question is whether anybody knows of the source of these mirrors. I'll contact Forest River, but I expect they will be very expensive from them. In other cases, such as for the headlights, I've found that they charge way more than their source for parts like this.

Attached is a picture of what I've got left. It looks like all of the mount is still there. Note that I taped the camera in place to give me a substitute left-side mirror.

I also attach a picture of my subsequent temporary replacement, which is a "West Coast" truck mirror from NAPA and a convex mirror attached below.

Any help on the correct replacement would be appreciated.

–Gordon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1750.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	191381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1752.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	191382  
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:48 PM   #2

My complete mirror, arm and all got knocked off couple weeks ago. I called Forest River and they quoted me a price of almost $700 for the complete assembly.

Since the other guys insurance is paying for it I got a quote at a body shop. The Body Shop price on the mirror assembly is about 450 and they say it is coming to them from Forest River also. Not sure why they quoted me so much more than the body shop.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #3

Mirror.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181101_145411.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	191386
Old 11-13-2018, 09:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the price comparison, Dan. I wonder if I should try going through a dealer. I'll be spending some time in Tucson, so I might find a dealer near there.

I've been searching on the web, and can't find a source for the Berk mirrors.

Pacific RV Mirrors has hanging mirrors for the Fleetwood American Tradition.

Velvac has a variety of mirrors that hang, but are different from the Berk.

–Gordon
Old 11-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #5

I didn't search for another source very long as I don't recall ever seeing the same style on another coach.

Aren't you sure some other parts didnt getting knocked off around the motor section?

BTW, mine does not have a camera in it.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #6

I'm pretty sure the supplier is Ramco Engineering in Elkhart,
800-321-4818 / 574-266-1455. Give them a call and let us all know what happens. Good luck.
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #7

Plano pat thanks. I called them and gave them the year model and coach and they knew exactly what I needed.
The complete arm in 3 pieces was 106.56.
I'm afraid I didn't ask for the cost of the head which he needs as mine would be different than his since I don't have a camera in mine.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #8

Planopat,
Thanks. I'll call them when my travels settle next week. I'll let you know what happened.

Dan,
I agree about the concern that other things broke. But, I can't see any damaged parts. OTOH, I don't know what holds it all together, since you can't screw from the front.

Gordon
Old 11-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #9

Andy had me call Velvac (800-783-8871) when I needed replacement mirrow glass.... had what I needed.....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #10

Mirror - dang auto spell
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #11

On the "Glass is half full" side - is there anything that Duct Tape/Gorilla Tape CAN'T do!?!?!?!?!

One feature I wish these RV's had is a collapsible/foldable mirror support - obviously it would not have helped in this situation (or maybe it would have if the concern with hitting a sign with the mirror outweighed the concern about not being able to use your mirrors!), but, for example, my storage facility has the coaches so tight that the hanging mirrors become a real obstacle to getting in/out of the spot. I'm sure there are other situations where a quick/temporary retraction of a mirror would help navigate past/through a campground/kiosk/toll both/tight bridge etc.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:27 PM   #12

Ramco Engineering of Elkhart is Mirror OEM

I finally got my mirror ordered. I confirmed Planopat's suggestion that the OEM for the mirrors is Ramco Engineering of Elkhart. Looking closely at the passenger side mirror, I can see Ramco Engineering engraved in the mirror. The flat heated mirror has GLS173 engraved and the convex mirror has GLS172 engraved on them.

Total cost was $122 plus shipping, including the motor assembly, which I needed. I think that is pretty reasonable.

Their website is at https://www.ramco-eng.com/mirror-documents and provides documentation on installation. There is also an online shop, and also an online query form. I filled out the query form and got an email response, which allowed me to send a picture of what I had left, and they used that to conclude that I also needed a motor assembly for the flat mirror, since I was missing some parts.

I asked to get the convex mirror without the camera hole, since a driver side camera is useless – you have to look to the instrument panel on the right while checking the lane to the left. The camera still works and I plan to relocate it to the rear of the coach (probably near the tail lights so that I can get inside and outside access). I will aim it farther down the road than my existing backup camera, which only shows the toad.

–Gordon
Old 12-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #13

I'm glad it worked out for you and the price does indeed seem reasonable.
planopat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement