Old 11-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #1

Replacing Relay box and 50 amp power cable

Well, I did the unthinkable. In my haste to winterize in these freezing temps and short on time with three busy kids, I jumped in the rig to move it across the driveway and completely forgot to unplug. Couldn't just come out at the cheap Walmart 30 amp extension cord, had to partially rip out the relay box and shred part of the power cord. Figured i would just run the genny for power, but then the relay box started to whine and smoke, so looks like i need to replace it all. Doesn't look like it would be a job too difficult to do myself if I got the right parts. Everything looks pretty straightforward. Anybody ever do this? Did you replace it yourself? If so, did you get the parts from .randy at Forest River? Won't be a job i tackle until the warmer weather of April, but just curious for some pointers.

Thanks-
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #2

Mike,
There was a recall on the automatic transfer switch on older models of the Berkshire. I got the parts from FR and had a local electrician do the install. I wanted to make sure it was done correctly because I didn't want any problems when I was on the road.
Tom

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Mike,
There was a recall on the automatic transfer switch on older models of the Berkshire. I got the parts from FR and had a local electrician do the install. I wanted to make sure it was done correctly because I didn't want any problems when I was on the road.
Tom
Tom, was the recall on older 2014 models?
Or do you mean earlier years?
Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #4

Dan,
Not sure how far back the recall went. I had an '08 Berkshire at the time. I guess that it depends on which transfer switch you have. I think that they changed all the new coaches to the newer transfer switch. I guess you could look at the transfer switch that you have and see if it is the one that was subject to the recall. If you have the IOTA ITS-50R transfer switch, it is part of the recall. I believe it only involved units up to 2011 model year.
Tom

tmmar is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp, power