Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2018, 07:32 AM   #1

Requesting Advice: Mods in Wet bay Area

Thanks for looking at my request for advice.

I have a 2018 BK XL 2018 C, with the fancy wet bay design.

I wanted to make a few modifications in this area, but was hesitant to start cutting holes, so I thought I would poll the crowd here.
1-Cut another 4"X4" hole in the steel plate to the top right.
There is a 4"X4" hole with one of those bumper plugs in a steel box to the top right of the wet bay. I am assuming this is for storage of a sewer hose. Good Idea, especially since I cap the sewer hose when travelling, so there won't be any residue to collect in this area. Problem is that when a sewer hose compresses (RhinoFLEX) type it becomes so rigid that it won't bend up and fill the compartment. The hose I have is too long to fit in that area unless it folds over. I am thinking about cutting another hole above that one, same size, so I can cap it with a standard bumper plug, and that way I would be able to feed the hose in, and be able to make it bend/fold over so it will fill the area.
2-Install a wall plate with a COAX and Ethernet Jack on left wall.
I have a Direct TV dish installed on a post permanently at the campground we set up seasonally. The power inserter and splitter are installed on the wall of the basement compartment under the kitchen slide, or basically on top of the dirt devil. I need to bring RG6 COAX from the dish into that compartment. I also have a POE (Power Over Ethernet) box and wireless router installed in that area also, I also need to bring Ethernet Cat 5e cable from that compartment to an outside antenna for wifi boosting purposes. I would prefer not to install another hatch on the bottom of the basement compartment, since there is one just next door in the wet bay for the water hose. I would get a basic wall plate, cut a hole in the white board on the left of the hot water manifold install the wall plate and drill two small holes on the wall of the basement compartment. I can feed a short length of RG6 COAX and Ethernet cables through the wall, attach them to the back of the wall plate, then seal the gap between the cables and the holes. Then I would run coax from the connection in the wet bay down the existing hatch to the dish and cat 5e from the Ethernet jack to the wifi radio.

There seems to be enough of a gap between the white board on the wet bay and the wall for the Ethernet jack to stick out of the back. I would get a snap in female-female RJ45 jack, so I don't have to worry about crimping in the ether net cable. I'll probably need to be careful about where the holes get drilled, so it lines up closely with the wall plate connections. These wall plates are intended to be installed in a typically wall, but I wont have a 4 inch gap behind it, so it might be tight.

I would appreciate any feedback from this group on these mods. I am also considering running the Ethernet and coax across the coach, and out the existing hatch for the propane quick connect, but I would prefer to stay on the driver's side with these connections.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #2

Photos

I snapped a couple of photos of the locations I am thinking about cutting into.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0727.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	161394   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0728[1].jpg
Views:	91
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	161395  
Old 02-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #3

Owning a 2014 and not the model you have not sure that I should comment. Your wet bay although similar is different. But good luck.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote