Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #11
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampin Keith View Post
Wyntaxman.......I would agree with your winter use comments. We have been avid RVers for many years and last year got caught in a nasty winter storm while on our way back from California overnthe Xmas holidays. With a blizzard blowing and the highway closed just north of Calgary, we were forced to spend the night on the side of the road. We managed in our "four season" camper by staying warm enough......but despite the heater not shutting off all night, the minus 45 plus windchill froze a line and ruined a water pump.

I think what I am looking for is a coach that once properly winterized, could get us comfortably from Edmonton during the winter down to California. Although we would not use the water, it would need to withstand some cold temps to keep the coach warm enough while we drove out of this nasty winter weather.
Keith, I would think the Berkshire could handle that scenario. Although we have never camped at anything below the upper 30's (F) the rig seemed to handle that type of temp without any issues. Also the Berk is pretty tight, as RV's go, and I would think the wind would not be an issue. Although I did spend a year in Great Falls, MT and I know what the winds can be like just East of the Rockies, so those winds may be an issue. Would I hesitate taking my Berkshire south in January or February? I wouldn't hesitate in the least other than road conditions being a factor.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #12

If you look in the compartment where the water pump is located (large compartment just ahead of the rear wheels on the passenger side), you will see a silver duct coming through the top aimed downward at the holding tanks. This is from the furnace and, along with the heating blankets on the tanks, should keep all the plumbing warm enough for your needs. When you run the furnace, the floor is warm from the ducts and should, as I said, keep the plumbing from freezing. I am not speaking from experience and this is just an observation.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #13

Well we have been a bit delayed getting out to look at the 390BH as we had family visiting.

So tomorrow, we will get out and take a look in person at the coach. We are excited to actual go and see it. Unfortunately, the weather man is calling for -10 weather. We should probably call ahead and get it warmed up but at this point I really don't want to tip off a salesman and then be blanketed as we go through the coach. Some guys are great......the ones that are typically older and have actually RVed in the past. I have an issue with spending 200k with a 25 year old kid telling me the features and benefits. Anyway, don't mean to start any kind of argument here. Just want to have a look through the coach with someone knowledgeable or no one at all.

Keep you posted.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #14

Well we had a great time looking through the Berkshire. I must say that this is one roomy and big beast!!!! It was huge. We really liked it a lot.

Now here is where I could use some advice......the dealer tells us that you can't test drive the unit until there is an accepted offer with the only remaining condition being subject to a test drive. To be honest I was a little bit put off. This is a motorhome that costs a bunch of money. I can't imagine going through this whole entire process before I even get a test drive.

Opinions? Am I asking too much? I even went out and obtained my air brake endorsement today by taking a full day course.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #15

Asking too much? Absolutely not! There is no way I'd even go to the bargining table until I was sure this was what I wanted to purchase. Would you accept the same terms on a automobile, which is far less money?
I see no problem with a salesman going with you on a test drive, but talk money before I knew what I was buying.....absolutely not.

Just my take on the situation.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #16

Just doing some research on the freight liner page and the camp freightliner.....can someone tell me what chassis the 390BH is built on??

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #17
2011 Berkshire 390bh

First off Keith, there is no way you should be expected to put any money down or sign anything to take a test drive. If the dealer insists, then I would just casually inform him that you will go elsewhere. When money changes hands you can end up creating a contract which is not what you want to do until you are sure this is what you want.

I think the chassis is listed on the Berkshire website under specs. I would look there first.

Ed
Old 11-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #18

I found some chassis info. Sorry, I should have done a better job searching on my own. The freightliner site is very good. I didn't realize how many motorhome chassis they mfr. the berk. Specs. On the chassis is vague but I figured it out based on the allowable GVWR and HP.

I feel the same way about the test drive deal!!!! I was really taken back with that. In addition to the test drive, I asked them why they are $30-40k higher than US distributors. They have some explaining to do for sure. Thanks for the reassurance, I didn't think a test drive was too crazy.

Have a nice evening.