Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #1

Residential Fridge; anyone install one?

Thinking about having a residential fridge installed in our Berkshire. Has anyone done this? I have not done too much research, but would I assume along with the fridge I would need add two more batteries and change the inverter.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #2

I know of a few folks that have done it and are really happy with it. There is a lot of information on installs out on the web. Inverter and battery wise it would depend on what you already have on board.

I personally wouldn't consider it simply because I'm a dry camper and need to be able to run on propane as well, but if your trips between shore power are short, you might really enjoy it. Repair costs are so much lower, more temperature control, overall more storage space, not having to be so concerned about how level you are, and the lower overall maintenance are pretty attractive.

I do know that the install can be a bit tricky with the spacing and such. I would do some serious research. I would love to read a follow-up if you decide to go ahead with it.

~Cheers
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:30 PM   #3

I think if you search under Samsung RF197 here you'll see a lot of info on similar questions. My own takeaway is that you probably need to get a pair of 6V batts and a dedicated inverter for the fridge. I believe the Samsung can work on a MSW but many others require a true sine wave.
I agree with Yarome that if you boondock a fair bit...it probably is not a good decision...but if you are plugged in full time...it makes sense.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #4

My friend had to replace his in a Phaeton. Took it back to Tiffin and they had to take windshield out to do it.

Mike
mcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:05 AM   #5

EJ I removed my old dometic and installed a Haire that I bought at Lowes. It's not connected to the inverter so I don't run it while traveling. I measured to opening started shopping. Found the perfect fit. I brought it in thru the front emergency window. Not sure how big your frig is but my new one is 10 cubic feet seems like it's twice as big. My trips usually are 6 hours or less so there's no problem keeping things cold you have to make sure you secure the doors. Hope this helps. Jim
jrlebaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge