Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

Smile Review of First Trip

Just got back from first long distance trip with MH.and the reviews are great.Traveled from NJ to Florida(Fort Wilderness) total distance 2176 miles round trip and averaged 10.2 mpg.What was nice was that the onboard computer showed that we averaged 10.1 to 10.3 on each tank full.We used a total of 4.5 gallons of DEF for the trip,so just under 2 gallons every tank full of fuel.Only problems we had where cracked drain lines under 1/2 bath sink and bad seal with the drain in the rear bath sink,and on returning north with the generator running to use roof air the computer keep saying that the internal term was 32F. and would not let the aircond. to run.Back to the dealer for repairs.
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #2

I didn't know you can run generated while driving?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #3

Yes you can run Generator any time that you need A/C.
oldkeywest91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:25 AM   #4

Even when you don't need A/C I run my refer,tv, etc off the gen. Also great time to run the gen, as they love to run!!
Old 05-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #5

At least you got to take yours out for your first trip , we bought ours in Oct.14 and as of today we still haven't been able to use it . The way it looks it will be out of warranty before we ever get to spend a night in it , still sitting at the dealer waiting on parts From Forest River so you can get your ass we will never buy another FR product .
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 CC 38CK View Post
At least you got to take yours out for your first trip , we bought ours in Oct.14 and as of today we still haven't been able to use it . The way it looks it will be out of warranty before we ever get to spend a night in it , still sitting at the dealer waiting on parts From Forest River so you can get your ass we will never buy another FR product .
Get a lawyer
Old 05-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #7

Quote:

What FR product do you have and what parts are you waiting on? No way it takes months to get parts. Any part used on any new product is readily available. Have you talked with FR directly?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #8

I'm glad "almost" everything went well for you oldkeywest.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgahlhoff View Post
Even when you don't need A/C I run my refer,tv, etc off the gen. Also great time to run the gen, as they love to run!!
Mr hoff, your talking about while driving down the road right? Why would you want to put hrs on gen when your engine is charging batteries and inverter is providing 110 for fridge and tv?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #10

I run the AC when it's hot. If I have passengers the dash air won't keep up. Also it's good to run the gen. It's a diesel and needs to run. I know people with all electric MH that start the gen every time they drive anywhere.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:38 PM   #11

What if you don't want to stop to cook/heat something in the microwave/make toast/coffee/etc.; anything that requires AC power; start the genny and go for it, that's what it's for. People who try to keep generator hours to a bare minimum are not utilizing it to its full potential and defeating the purpose of the unit and probably are making it useless in the process. I don't have an inverter and the grandkids surely like their TV videos while traveling and it makes the time and arrival at the next campground go faster for them.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #12

I run my gen 90% of the time when I am traveling. Very seldom will I go anywhere without it running while going down the road.

The worst thing for your gen is to not run it under a load.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #13

I agree it is good to run the Gen often. Being new to this I thought you would want to keep the hours off the generator but I was wrong. I talk to two dealers who both said they don't even look at Gen hours for trade in and second the more they run the longer they last. The worst thing for a generator is to sit , the coils get corroded or something like that. I ran it all the time especially at college football games it will run for the days straight.
Terrilegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
What FR product do you have and what parts are you waiting on? No way it takes months to get parts. Any part used on any new product is readily available. Have you talked with FR directly?
I would be interested in knowing what the issue is also. DW would like to upgrade to a Berkshire in few years. We purchased our Georgetown new and had some frustrating issues with the dealer but FR was always very responsive and helpful in anything we needed. Curious to know what issues would not allow any use of a new coach.

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #15

Almost anyone I talk to that has bought a new RV has issues. I assure you the diesel division of FR stands behind their products and will make it right. We have had ours for 3 years and are very happy with it and FR.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #16

Well here is the update , we bought a new 5th wheel after the dealer told us that they couldn't fix the leak we had in our bed slide , every time they would work on it it got worse . So we traded for a new Cedercreek 38ck 2014 and here it is almost June and still haven't been able to use it . I have talked to FR and told them I didn't trust the dealer and wanted to bring it back to them but they said it had to go back to the dealer , so as of this morning after being promised it would be done before last weekend they are saying they can't find the parts . After thinking about the problems we are having all the problems are with products from Lippert . I just can not imagine a company coming in and taking over supplying different things to be used by the RV industry and see all the problems people are having with there stuff . Our problems are 1. Lippert slide out won't go in or out . 2. Lippert auto leveler so squirting fluid all over the ground , but the tech cannot find where it is coming from . Dealers said parts were ordered and were shipped a week and half ago but still no parts . So do we blame FR or our dealer ? You would think after paying cash to buy a new unit they would take better care of there customers the DW said maybe we should look at a different manufacture but I told her every manufacture is using the Lippert systems . Would love to get a group of everyone that have had problems with there Lippert products and go after a large co pant taking advantage of people and there money . We have owned many of RV's and the last 2 have been nothing but a joke . About to give up on RVing . We as RVers need to join together and demand products that are safe , Tires made in China and not the US are another safety issue that the industry could care less about and your safety . Good Luck to anybody that buys any FR products .
14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #17

I personally cannot say enough good things about the FR Diesel Division. They bend over backwards to have satisfied owners. Doesn't your state have "Lemon Laws" go after them that way.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Well here is the update , we bought a new 5th wheel after the dealer told us that they couldn't fix the leak we had in our bed slide , every time they would work on it it got worse . So we traded for a new Cedercreek 38ck 2014 and here it is almost June and still haven't been able to use it . I have talked to FR and told them I didn't trust the dealer and wanted to bring it back to them but they said it had to go back to the dealer , so as of this morning after being promised it would be done before last weekend they are saying they can't find the parts . After thinking about the problems we are having all the problems are with products from Lippert . I just can not imagine a company coming in and taking over supplying different things to be used by the RV industry and see all the problems people are having with there stuff . Our problems are 1. Lippert slide out won't go in or out . 2. Lippert auto leveler so squirting fluid all over the ground , but the tech cannot find where it is coming from . Dealers said parts were ordered and were shipped a week and half ago but still no parts . So do we blame FR or our dealer ? You would think after paying cash to buy a new unit they would take better care of there customers the DW said maybe we should look at a different manufacture but I told her every manufacture is using the Lippert systems . Would love to get a group of everyone that have had problems with there Lippert products and go after a large co pant taking advantage of people and there money . We have owned many of RV's and the last 2 have been nothing but a joke . About to give up on RVing . We as RVers need to join together and demand products that are safe , Tires made in China and not the US are another safety issue that the industry could care less about and your safety . Good Luck to anybody that buys any FR products .

Sounds like you have a dealer problem. Can you ask FR if they have another shop around you that can work on your RV?
Old 05-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #19

I agree. You have a dealer problem. The lip pert slides are pretty simple to troubleshoot. Having the parts on hand is the problem as none of them are cheap. My dealer was useless. Do the repairs myself. Forest river has been very helpful.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #20

Quote:

This is getting confusing as your post is on the Berkshire motor home page. I think if they moved you you would get better advice from owners of your same product.
That said any dealer that can't fix a leak Ina day or two should be runout of business. It's not that difficult to do. They need better service people. As for your slide issue waiting on parts if the biggest BS excuse ever. It's also not difficult to fix if they have competent service people which they obviously don't have. I would contact FR again and give them the whole story. There is no excuse to keep someone's RV for weeks let alone months. I would never allow a dealer to keep mine for more than a couple of days. To drop it off and say we will pick it up next month is never a good idea.
I would also get a relationship going with FR so when you call them they know who you are. Stay in touch and let them know what is happening with your RV.
Good luck I hope you get it back soon.