Old 03-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #1

Roof Leak - Berkshire

We recently bought a used 2008 Berkshire 390bh. We have discovered three areas that are leaking along the driver's side of the MH. One in the back bedroom, one in bathroom, and one above the sofa behind the driver's seat. The areas in the bedroom and above sofa have resulted in the soft-touch ceiling sagging.

We just had the roof resealed about two weeks ago. It has rained a lot over the last couple days and it is clearly still leaking.

My question is: Have any of you with a Berkshire had anything similair where you have with roof leaks? If so, what fixed it?

Many thanks for any insight you can provide!

Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #2

Is this a fiberglass roof or rubber. I have never heard of sealing a fiberglass root. If fiberglass the roof would have to be cracked or the sealant around the vents and other roof items would need to be replaced. I wonder what damage is not showing if the soft ceiling is sagging. I would think that should be looked at. You could have mold in there that could cause health issues for you.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #3

It is a fiberglass roof. They put sealant along the edges of the roof and around the vents, skylight, etc. I did notice that there had not previously been the "sealant/caulking" in those areas.

I am not familiar with fiberglass roofs and just did what the dealer said needed to be done. Any other input as to whether it is common to seal a fiberglass roof would be helpful.

The sagging of the soft-touch ceiling is very minor so far...I hadn't even noticed until I was doing a thorough inspection yesterday. I completely agree we need to have this looked at and will be talking with the dealer first thing tomorrow.

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:50 PM   #4

Another thought on my 2011 the dealer found cracks in the fiberglass. These were hard to see and I'm not sure I would have noticed them if they were not pointed out. It seems that FR had some bad fiberglass that had issues with thin spots that cracked. I'm having the entire roof replaced under warranty. This cracking issue was for a time around fall of 2010 and I guess they have done a dozen or so roofs from that time. It might be something to have the dealer look into most likely not the issue but you never know. I would think if its a 08 the warranty is done unless you have an extended warranty.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #5

Good info, Phil57. Thanks very much. I will definatley look into that.

I am also wondering...if the sealing the roof two weeks ago fixed the problem, would the miniscule amount of water I found today be from two weeks ago? I literally had to press up on the ceiling and at the seam I finally worked out some water. Maybe just wishful thinking.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #6

It could be. There is all the insulation up there and wood will hold water like a sponge. If they used a good flowing sealant around all the mounted items it should not leak. That's the nice thing about fiberglass. Good luck and be sure to let us know what your outcome is.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
marialee-Berkshire410qs

We used the following product on my daughters trailer. It had leaked for a couple of years. They had put a tarp on it to keep the water our. Used this tape and no more leaks.. that was two years ago. I also used it on our last motor home and stopped a leak around the sky light. Untill then I had it into the RV shop twice and it still leaked. Give it a try. Easy to apply. You may find at a local roofing store.
Roof Leak Repair Products & Sealing Tape | EternaBond®
Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #8

So we had a leak test done which determined the only leak is around the A/C seal. The roof is in great condition. I think that is good news. I am having both A/C seals replaced. Thanks for all the input.