Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #41

Boo
When I had to change my timing shaft, I found out that the bearings were sealed bearings on my coach and the zert fittings were there for show. I guess they got a bargain on the bearing blocks.

Check yours out as you may not have to worry about greasing them.

Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #42

I've greased both the timing shafts on my kitchen and dining room slides. On my 2013 390RB the bearings are not sealed. I actually see the grease oozing out. On the kitchen slide the forward zerk is accessed from that fore most compartment. It has a large access port at the top of that compartment that screws out to provide access to the zerk.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:35 AM   #43

My kitchen slide rumbles on the way out; like a steel wagon wheel over a cobblestone street. I am very fearful that it will someday fail. I greased the timing shafts and sprayed dry lubricant on the metal rails, to no avail.

Because there is one hydraulic piston in the center, the timing shaft is supposed to keep the kitchen slide to go out and in evenly, without one end leading or lagging the other end. In theory, this is the way at least it is supposed to work. My guess is that my rumbling is caused by the slide binding at one end. This then puts a heavy torque on the timing shaft (like a stretched rubber band). This built up force then makes the binding side to give way which gives the rumble sound. This is repeated many times.

I had my sofa piston replaced and found that it was pushing at an angle because where it was attached to the frame. Could be the pushing angle of the piston is causing the binding,

That's my guess! - Hank
Old 09-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #44

edgewant,
did you have trouble greasing the timing shaft? I tried to grease mine and I couldn't get the grease into the bearings. It just oozed out around the outside of the zerk.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:31 AM   #45

Here are 2 pictures of the bearing pillow block that I took out when I had to change my timing shsft on the sofa slide. As you can see they are sealed bearing and when you grease the zerts the grease will just ooze out

Maybe the kitchen slide is different, but I would be surprized

. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442154517.839308.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	88499Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1442154566.441071.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	88500

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #46

Marty thanks for posting the pictures. I have greased mine several times and the grease comes out the shaft. I would have expected it to come out the side if the bearing was not sealed. This confirms for me that at least the bearing doesn't need to be greased. So why put fittings on that part? Warren from FR told me it was important to grease them and to also keep the shaft clean and rust free.
I wonder if at some point they switched to a sealed bearing and never changed the housing? If that's the case how would anyone know if it's sealed or not. I guess for me it doesn't hurt anything and I clean the timing shaft at the same time.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #47

Ok. The first two pics are of the dinette slide. The third is the kitchen. I didn't have enough gumption to access the forward timing shaft bearing on the kitchen slide but I assure everyone it looks like the other three. I have had issues with zerks in the past. Sometimes the little ball check valve sticks and its difficult to get any grease to flow in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150913_095548.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	88504   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150913_095636.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	88505   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150913_095723.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	88506  

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 09-13-2015, 10:24 AM   #48

When I tried to grease the bearings, my old-time grease gun would not grab the zerk fittings. I had to replace the zerks.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #49

Interesting. When I zoom in on my pics and those posted by Mmnsc it looks like the bearings have a different set of letters (mfg?) cast into the bearing housing. Maybe they are using bearings from more than one supplier??

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 09-13-2015, 12:04 PM   #50

Seems like everyone thinks that greasing the zerk fittings will do the job - wishful thinking!

I just crawled out of the cargo bay with shock. First of all, the timing shaft is pressing down on the hydraulic piston (mostly when the slide is in). Secondly, it looks like FR installed the slide mechanisms before laying the floor. The floor is pressing hard on the timing shaft's coupler, which is further pressing the timing shaft down on the piston rod. I tried loosening both ends of the hydraulic piston and cannot get any clearance. No wonder the slide cogs !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydraulic cylinder attachment.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	88526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing Shaft n Piston.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	88527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Timing coupler.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	88528  
Old 09-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #51

Well, that is not it. I loosened the two bolts attaching the piston end to the slide body. Lowered the piston about 3/16". The timing shaft now does not contact the piston and there is clearance between the coupler and floor.

Slide still rumbles on the way out; about half way Hank
Old 09-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #52

I think some of the rumble I hear is the side wiper seals dragging as the slide moves.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 09-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Well, that is not it. I loosened the two bolts attaching the piston end to the slide body. Lowered the piston about 3/16". The timing shaft now does not contact the piston and there is clearance between the coupler and floor.

Slide still rumbles on the way out; about half way Hank
I had heard that the piston can interfere with the timing shaft and bend one or the other if they don't have any clearance. I need to crawl under mine and look. It may be useful to have the DW run the slide in an out a bit whist I look it over?

On mine, besides the rumbling, I also hear noises like metal on metal scraping.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide