Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #1

Rubber seal under wardrobe slide.

On 2011 390RB, my seal is completely mangled beyond recognition. Anyone else noticed this?

I can't imagine what it's going to take to replace a seal UNDER the slide itself.

Anyone??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #2

Boohoo, does the seal screw to the coach body? The techs in Gosgen replaced the seal under my kitchen/LR slide. The rubber flap was held on by a metal strip screwed to the body. Being mine is a TT and yours a coach it may not even be close to the same. Just an idea.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

My wardrobe slide is gone as well on our 390BH-60. We see daylight between the bedroom dresser and the floor.

Paul
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:47 PM   #4

We had our seal under the bunk slide and the dealer replaced it with a flap that was screwed to the sude wall as described above. That is the FR suthorized the repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
On 2011 390RB, my seal is completely mangled beyond recognition. Anyone else noticed this?

I can't imagine what it's going to take to replace a seal UNDER the slide itself.

Anyone??

Boowho??
Which slide?
Old 09-01-2015, 06:38 PM   #6

Boo - If it is your wardrobe slide, I had the seal problem when my Berk was one year old. The seal is called a compression seal. We were noticing metal shavings on the inside hallway floor. FR approved Lazydays to replace it. They were going to remove the slide and the was to take 19 work hours. After FR saw the dollar signs, they devised a new plan where they fished the compression seal out and replaced with a simple external lip seal (like on the hydraulic slides).

The metal shavings were from the metal spine of the seal (see my picture). The seal was ruined probably by too much compression due to the slide rollers creating a rut in the underside of the slide. I had to put metal plates screwed to the bottom side of the slide. Do you have the metal plates yet?
Hank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130401-1244 RV Slide Problem.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	87530  
Old 09-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #7

Boo - If it is your wardrobe slide, I had the seal problem when my Berk was one year old. The seal is called a compression seal. We were noticing metal shavings on the inside hallway floor. FR approved Lazydays to replace it. They were going to remove the slide and the was to take 19 work hours. After FR saw the dollar signs, they devised a new plan where they fished the compression seal out and replaced with a simple external lip seal (like on the hydraulic slides).

The metal shavings were from the metal spine of the seal (see my picture). The seal was ruined probably by too much compression due to the slide rollers creating a rut in the underside of the slide. I had to put metal plates screwed to the bottom side of the slide. Do you have the metal plates yet?
Hank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130401-1244 RV Slide Problem.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	450.7 KB
ID:	87531  
Old 09-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #8

Boo I went out and checked mine and they look new. I see no sign of wear and nothing that could tear them up. I can't imagine how they could be so torn up.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post

Hank
Yep, your pic looks exactly like mine. I'm going to check on using the same seals as on the sides of the slide.... I have not done the metal plate upgrade.

Dan-Nickie: It's the wardrobe slide on a 2011 390 RB

Boowho??
Old 09-01-2015, 10:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Boo I went out and checked mine and they look new. I see no sign of wear and nothing that could tear them up. I can't imagine how they could be so torn up.

Mine is "munged" as badly as the one in Hank's picture.

Boowho??
Old 09-02-2015, 05:01 AM   #11

Does anyone have any pictures of what the so called metal plate upgrade is suppose to look like? When RF has a solution for a problem on their coaches do all owners get notified of the fix, solution ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Does anyone have any pictures of what the so called metal plate upgrade is suppose to look like? When RF has a solution for a problem on their coaches do all owners get notified of the fix, solution ?
I don't think so, otherwise they would have done all my slides at Goshen.

I had my rubber wiper under the kitchen slide rip in half and hung down.
At Goshen, they used jack stands to hold the slide up while they replaced the rubber wiper AND put in the metal plates for it. They did not do anything with the other three slides.

I would think the metal plates should be on all slides, or at least the kitchen slide that holds the weight of the residential fridge.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:39 AM   #13

The wardrobe slide which operates by cables rests on plastic (probably Delrin) 5" rollers. The BH model has five rollers and other models have three. The rollers contact a soft wood bottom of the slide and since the wood gives under the slide weight, the gap between the slide and motorhome narrows. Not sure if FR corrected this problem on later models.

There are post about this which I could not put my finger on. I put the plates on myself. FR has made no recall and appear to willing supply the plates gratis, but the install will be on you unless at the factory. -Hank
Old 09-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
I don't think so, otherwise they would have done all my slides at Goshen.

I had my rubber wiper under the kitchen slide rip in half and hung down.
At Goshen, they used jack stands to hold the slide up while they replaced the rubber wiper AND put in the metal plates for it. They did not do anything with the other three slides.

I would think the metal plates should be on all slides, or at least the kitchen slide that holds the weight of the residential fridge.
Kenny I agree and would rather on issues like this be proactive than reactive after something breaks and more damage occurs. Could you post a picture or two of the plates that were installed at Goshen by the factory ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-02-2015, 06:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
The wardrobe slide which operates by cables rests on plastic (probably Delrin) 5" rollers. The BH model has five rollers and other models have three. The rollers contact a soft wood bottom of the slide and since the wood gives under the slide weight, the gap between the slide and motorhome narrows. Not sure if FR corrected this problem on later models.

There are post about this which I could not put my finger on. I put the plates on myself. FR has made no recall and appear to willing supply the plates gratis, but the install will be on you unless at the factory. -Hank

Hank after installing the plates have you noticed that the slides operate like they did when you first bought your coach ? Can't imagine the plate being more than an 1/8" but there must be enough play in the height where they do not create a binding situation for lack of space on top. I'd like to ask you also if you could post a picture of your installed plates. Thanks.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 09-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #16

Joe - I believe that I also had roller installation issues, since my rubber seal went very early. I had to desperately install the plates since the bottom of my slide was rubbing on the MH's metal siding. I'll dig up pictures for you. Later - Hank
Old 09-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #17

About photos ...

I will gladly post pictures of the plates when I return home from work at 5PM, but I'm sure someone else will get them up here before then....I'll keep my eyes open and if no one does, or if their installation is different (can't imagine how), I will be sure to get the pics up here...

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #18

As I understand the issue as regards to needing plates. This is a issue that started because the rollers were installed improperly. They should be over a support in the slide and they are not. The way to tell if your MH has this issue is the plywood will start to have deep groves where the rollers sink in to far. The fix is simple and it seems like it is permanent. Not all need it. Keep an eye on the bottom of the slide and get the plates on before it gets to the point if ruining the seals.
Mine didn't have the issue. Yours most likely won't either but you know how to check and what to do. I believe they are very easy to install.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #19

Kitchen slide too??

On my 390 RB, the kitchen slide (has refrigerator in it) seems to creak and groan at lot more than when it was new. Anyone else notice THIS?

It's always been a bit scary to watch it go in and out; it tips inward and looks like it's just going to fall into the coach!

Boowho??
Old 09-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #20

Mine is the same. It's scary sometimes.

Tags
slide