Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
RV Owners manuals are pitiful.....

leaving rv owners to skull around to find solutions to problems. Great manuals from chassis manufacturers. Why do they build such nice vehicles and produce such cheap manuals. I have had motorhomes from two different manufaturers and seen several more and they are all the same. Burkshire doesn't even have a separate manual. They lump the Birkshire with all others.

BamaCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
And thus the reason that forums such as this one exists!!

I totally agree with you. When you are new to something, or even when you just want to try and fix something yourself, a 'Detailed' manual would be nice. I guess you can look at it this way. An RV is like your home. When you buy a house no manual comes with it detailing how it was wired, plumbed and so-forth. But again, that why forums like this are so helpful. You still have to rummage around to find the answer you are looking for, but there are plenty of people on here that have probably had the same problem/issue as you and will gladly step you through the solution.

2004 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
2010 Rockwood 2701SS
Killman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh
Bama, I couldn't agree more. The documentation with our rigs is pathetic and it's that way with every manufacturer. You would think that they could give you some sort of combination of manuals that would make sense. The fact that there is not a single manual for the house itself is just plain dumb. Even a reference that says your TV is this make and go to that manual would be very helpful.
2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 AM   #4
i have to respectfully disagree abt the useless manual. i found it is quiet useful for keeping a chair with uneven legs from rocking.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Ditto above.

However, assuming each RV came with related components manuals (Suburban, Dometic, Toshiba, etc.) we can build our own manual that is undoubtly much better than any that Forest River could compile. I've got all the manuals that came with our MH and put them in three ring binders, along with resolutions obtained from this site and other internet site inquiries. IT IS quite big but very comprehensive.

FR may not be able to create a comprehensive manual with all components due to possible copyright law restrictions from component manufacturers and liability to FR for what they may "say" regarding separately manufactured components.

Chassis manufacturers do have great manuals, but they address what they manufactured in total.

I consider this forum to be my extended owner's manual resource for info.
Pete and Patty
2010 Georgetown 378TS; 2012 4dr Jeep Rubicon
1 Yellow Lab (hers);1 Little Bitty dog (mine)
gartonhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Future Berkshire Owner
I like the three ring binder idea...gonna do that when we get back home!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
Even if the manufacturer did do a better more comprehensive manual no would read it. I think people who break out and read the paperwork are a very small percentage. Not saying it's right, just the way it is....
2005 Ford Excursion V10 4x4 4.30's
2011 Salem 26TBUD
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
You are probably right in most cases......

but if other rv owners experiences are like mine they have many times that they have no choice but to search for solutions to their problems. Sometimes when you are on the road a tech is not around. You get a more professional document with a toaster oven or push lawnmower than with a $250,000.00 motorhome.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #9
Killman said it best....when I had my house built it came with a "binder" and in that binder was all the individual manuals for each component, nothing on the wiring, plumbing lines, etc.

Toaster Ovens or push mowers are built by the hundreds of thousands. RV's, not so much. My division builds about 2000 a year across (4) models. In addition you could have (10+) floor plans for one model and we're constantly changing and adding floor could easily be a nightmare trying to keep them current. Instead of complaining how vague they are, we'd be having this discussion about how out of date they are.

I am told that Pleasureway has great manuals specific to each floor plan...but that is also part of my explanation at RV shows when customers ask me why a 22' pleasureway costs twice the amount of a 30' Sunseeker.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
bclemens, I understand your point......

a professionally crafted owners manual would add to the cost just as everything else. When you build your house you usually have a complete set of plans including wiring and plumbing diagrams which you had a hand in planning. I agree with those coments above that we have component manuals that can be referred to. Also, the participants on this forum are extremely helpful and thankful that I have been able to call upon them when needed. Also, when I call the Forest River factory techs they are always helpful.