Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

Safe t plus co/propane detector

I need to replace my propane/CO detector and I am curious if you have to replace the solenoid shut off at the same time. When looking online to purchase a new one some are sold as a kit. If you’ve recently replaced yours? Where did you buy it and how much $.
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:10 PM   #2

Mine went out on my brand new rig... The alarm would NOT stop.. I just ordered the alarm online and installed it. Two screws and two wires.. not hard
ghhardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #3

The ones with solenoid shutoff have 4 wires.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #4

Model 70-742-R
Old 03-24-2019, 12:01 PM   #5

I've seen people state that the best price was directly from FR. And I thank they said you could get it without the solenoid.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #6

My rig was just about two years old when the solenoid failed. An independent mechanic replaced it but had to purchase the kit containing the solenoid and the detector. This was covered by my breakdown insurance. Unfortunately, the solenoid in the kit had different sized fittings than the original one that FR installed. Fortunately, he had adapters with him that made it possible to install.

I plastic bagged the detector and just installed it this year when the FR original finally reached the end of its service life. This year, I also needed to replace the solenoid which burned out again. I was able to find the solenoid online and did the replacement myself.

I strongly recommend NOT DOING A SOLENOID REPLACEMENT unless you have experience working with gas lines. A mistake here is a great way to blow up your motorhome.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:46 PM   #7

Just replaced ours. The detector was acting up. Solenoid seems fine, BUT if your coach has the solenoid on the propane tank, then you will need the detector with 4 wires. I wanted to only purchase the detector because it was cheaper. My local RV dealer contacted MTI (the company who manufactures the detectors) and they said that particular model (70-742-R) is sold ONLY IN A KIT (detector & Solenoid). It's not cheap! The life expectancy of this detector is 5 years. There's a date stamped on the back of the detector in red noting the manufacture date.
RV4J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:43 AM   #8

Replaced just the detector and original solenoid still worked, so keeping the one that came with the kit as a spare.

Tags
propane