Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #1

Sanitizing the Fresh Tank?

How do you get bleach water into the fresh water tank to sanitize it? The only inlet I see is the tank fill hook-up for the hose. My old coach had a second inlet that I could use a funnel to pour bleach water in to sanitize it. I tried pumping water through the water pump, but that doesn't let water into the tank, only the lines. Also, is the tank drain to the bottom right of the tank, in the same bay as the water pump? That's the only one I can find and it's about one inch off the bottom of the tank. It doesn't seem that it would empty the tank all the way. I opened it and it only drizzled out.

Confused as to why Forest River doesn't have a normal handle on the tank door. Those clips underneath are not so friendly. Could also use a hydraulic shock on that door to keep it up. hmmmm

Thanks for any help/insight.

Mike
Mbh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You could pour the bleach into the water hose before you hook it up...you only need 1/2 to 1 cup of bleach.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #3

That will only bleach the lines. He is looking for a filler to access the water tank to bleach it.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnys_walkers View Post
That will only bleach the lines. He is looking for a filler to access the water tank to bleach it.

It appears he only has a city water pressure fill line to add water to the tank, no gravity fill. So if you put bleach in the city water hose then hook it up to fill the tank, the bleach will be forced into the tank.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #5

Put a hose in the fill line and the get a funnel with a small enough spout to go into hose and poor in your bleach. It will work.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 AM   #6

I scratched my head for quite awhile with this myself. One day the light bulb clicked. Pour the sanitizer into the hose before connecting to the RV, then connect the hose & turn on the tap and let the water flush the sanitizer into the water tank. So simple I couldn"t believe it took me so long to figure it out. LOL

George & Diana
GHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #7

That's a brilliant idea George. I would like to offer an improvement too. Put your sanitizer in the hose, connect the hose to itself and rotate it all around to coat the entire inside of the hose to sterilize it a well. Then flush it into the tank as you described. ...very timely post as I'll be doing this later today or tomorrow.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #8
2011 Berkshire 390BH

For those that do not have Berkshires, there are two fill input lines. One for "city water" hookup and one for "fresh water tank". Both lines have a check pressure value in them that you can only add water to the system with pressure. I had the same issue as others, until I put the bleach in the hose and let the water pressure "push" into the freshwater tank.

Also the drain for the fresh water tank is both to the left and the right of the fresh water tank. Open both valves, the water pump will come on and drain the tank on the left side. The right valve will also drain it, but as stated very slowly.

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote