Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 PM   #1

Santa on my roof?

Hey Berk gurus.... I'm unable to find any info on roof and ladder weight limits. I'm 6'1" 290 (old powerlifter not big fat guy ) I'm hesitant to climb my ladder much less walk on the roof; but, I would like to wash the roof and check on things. Any thoughts?

Thanks all!
Old 12-01-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

I think you should be ok. I'm 6' and 215. I've been in my roof several times.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #3

Thanks Phil..... Do you think I should try the ladder?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:34 AM   #4

I use mine.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #5

I never worried about the roof as I have seen several people on the roof at Nascar races and a couple on the roof at the factory. But that ladder held on with about 6-8 sheet metal screws into fiberglass always concerned me.

I have read many forum posts about this and have not seen anyone that knows for sure what the ladder rating is on the Berkshire. Some members have said there is a label on their RV ladder of 250 for some and 300 for others. Never read about one breaking, but then I have not seen anyone on those threads stating they weighed over about 250 lb.

I was hesitant at first but finally learned to trust the ladder. But after losing a few lbs I'm now much leaner than Phil.

My main problem now is not being as agile as I once was is transitioning from the ladder to the roof. Seems those top rails are narrower than most and closer to the side of the RV. Going up is not as bad as once at the top of the ladder I can crawl onto the top, but that first step coming down backwards scares the crap out of me. I once stayed up there about a half hour just figuring out how I was going to make that first step down. I guess I knew how, just getting up the courage to do it.

Be careful.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:46 AM   #6

Lots of Gov $ has been spent on Weights and Measures,they have found out that a 290# Fat guy weight the same as a 290# Muscular guy! You will not find a RV rear ladder Co. that will Certify a ladder that THEY didnt Install! Better Safe than Sorry! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:51 AM   #7

Old fat guy at 6' and 285. I use the ladder and I'm on the roof all the time. After washing the roof apply a generous coat of Aerospace 303 to prevent the white streaks coming over the edge of the roof.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #8

I use mine all the time and have had up to about 6 to 8 people on my roof at one time in the infield of Charlotte. I usually try and spread people out so we're all not in one spot but I've never had an issue at all. Max weight I've put on my ladder is probably about 230 to 240 I'd say. I think a buddy of mine was about 250 and went up once but not too sure.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #9

Thanks all...... with 6-8 sheet metal screws I think I just use it as my flag pole holder.... I'll get a ladder and try the climb that-a-way... but I do think the climb down will suck....
so with that do y'all have any experience with these... pros/cons?
http://amzn.to/1SwGlBt
Old 12-02-2015, 11:58 AM   #10

Nathan I have read on other moho forums that many use the ladder you posted. It gets good reviews also.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantoensing View Post
Thanks all...... with 6-8 sheet metal screws I think I just use it as my flag pole holder.... I'll get a ladder and try the climb that-a-way... but I do think the climb down will suck....
http://amzn.to/1SwGlBt

Read the reviews at the bottom and I don't think based on them I would buy one without actually trying one out first.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #12

I have that ladder. It is light and easy to use. I put a towel on the top to protect the paint. Sometimes I wish I had a two sided ladder so it could be free standing but most of the time it works great. I would definitely buy it again.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:24 PM   #13

Greetings,
I have owned one of those telescoping ladders for a couple of years now. While it is a great product I would extend a word of caution when using it. If you notice, the feet are round and flat (when the ladder is vertical). The issue is when the ladder is being used and leaned against the structure on which you hope to gain access. Those feel can slip...especially when you are initially get on the ladder to climb down. My advice would be to have a safety person stationed at the base to help secure the ladder when you're on it. Again, it is a good product and I've used mine quite a bit...just be careful with the design of those feet.

Cheers,

Joe
JoBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #14

I am pretty careful on a ladder but never noticed the feet. I will have to look. I have used it on all surfaces with no issues but certainly is something to watch out for.
Also I forgot the best part of the ladder is it will stand up in the basement. I store mine standing up and bungeed to the back wall. Easy access to it.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Nathan I have read on other moho forums that many use the ladder you posted. It gets good reviews also.
X2 I know a couple of folks who own these & have borrowed their ladder - it is a really well engineered ladder - in fact when we sell the 5er and get the Berk, this is the ladder I will be buying to replace the folding one in my 5er Bumper.

When we use the ladder (note I said WE and that is NOT a Royal We ) Anne-Marie ALWAYS spots me and stays outside when I am on the roof. At 61, I am not as limber as I was when I was a lean mean Combat Controller so I just don't take too many chances anymore

I must say, I am looking forward to the Fiberglass "almost" maintenance free roof on the Berk - that's a long way up there - and more importantly a long way to fall!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #16

Could take up a couple of pieces of 1/2 ply to spread load.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #17

I got one of those fold up step ladders. Folds up square and 8 ft. long. No hard to store and stable when open in use. Great waxing RV.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #18

Just to add my 2-cents....

I am 225LBS and have used the latter without problems. However, I find myself placing our step ladder behind the coach ladder and going up the step ladder to the second last step, then transitioning over to the Berk ladder.

There is no scientific argument for why I do it. I just don't feel there is as much force on the ladder if I'm not tugging and pulling my way up from the bottom.

It probably makes no difference whatsoever......just thought I'd throw that out there.

Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathantoensing View Post
Telesteps 1800EP Pro 300-Pound Duty Rating Aluminum Telescoping Extension Ladder with Wide Step, 14 1/2 Foot - - Amazon.com
I have that ladder for 10 years and USED It very often! As said place a towel at the contact point before deploying! Our ladder has a Slight angle on the Foot Pads where they contact the ground surface. When retracting I Slowly bring it down,never letting it Slam! I rate these as a 10! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #20

Thanks all.... great advise.... me thinks I'll take the ¼ mile trip to Camping World and give one a try... I like the idea of resting it again the top fixed Berk ladder! Did I mention I HATE ladders in general.... the fall is kinda fun but the landing stinks when you're a big boy !!

Tags
roo, roof