Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

Same set up I take with me.
But mines a dvr to.
Turbs, your dish (in that picture) is not a "500". The 500 only has two horns on it.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
(Note that you have to "check switch" when you change dishes like that, including when you get back home.)
whys that ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Turbs, your dish (in that picture) is not a "500". The 500 only has two horns on it.
agreed ! my dish at the shop is a 500 . 2 lnbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Yep, its a 1000.2 I believe; not a 500. As such it's capable of receiving all three birds (110, 119 and 129) at once.

Alignment can be tricky, but using tinfoil to "blind" the two outside LNB's helps a lot. I posted a detailed message on how to do this already. If anyone needs, I can post it again.

Local channels are done with a "spot beam" on one of those birds. Spot beams cover a very small geographic area where as the normal signals pretty much blanket the entire US. When you drive out of your spot beam coverage (leaving your house) you lose your local channels.

Think of a spot beam as a HUGE flashlight being pointed from the satellite toward earth.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #25

PHIL57, do you not have a cable input jack for park cable? Why don't you just connect the tailgater to that (your unit uses RG6 cable internally). That's what I do. I did put in a coax switch at the input selector in the overhead so I wouldn't have to disconnect and reconnect the park cable when not using the tailgater. But you can just disconnect the park cable input in the overhead and connect it to the sat receiver and the sat receiver cable out to where the park cable was connected. Set the tv up for cable input and you should be good to go. My tailgater has been flawless in it's operation.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himcules View Post
coax from stb to tv is analog = crappy picture.
coax from ota antennae to tv internal tuner is digital = hdtv 1080i
coax from dish to stb to component to tv is digital = hdtv 1080i max
coax from dish to stb to hdmi to tv is digital = hdtv 1080p and digital audio
No I meant as far as RG59 vs RG6, etc THAT difference.

Boowho??
Old 05-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
PHIL57, do you not have a cable input jack for park cable? Why don't you just connect the tailgater to that (your unit uses RG6 cable internally). That's what I do. I did put in a coax switch at the input selector in the overhead so I wouldn't have to disconnect and reconnect the park cable when not using the tailgater. But you can just disconnect the park cable input in the overhead and connect it to the sat receiver and the sat receiver cable out to where the park cable was connected. Set the tv up for cable input and you should be good to go. My tailgater has been flawless in it's operation.
Thanks for the info. I may go back go that. I have it set up now and it works good. I really would like to have a audio video guy take a look at this and redo it. I think the speakers are not the best and I would like a blu ray player in the MH. Most DVD we own are blu ray. I didn't know enough about it to know what can be done and I'm not sure where to start. Is there a place that specializes in AV for MH?
I will get a cable and hook it to the cable in the power bay to see what I like best. Thanks for the info.
Phil

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Thanks for the info. I may go back go that. I have it set up now and it works good. I really would like to have a audio video guy take a look at this and redo it. I think the speakers are not the best and I would like a blu ray player in the MH. Most DVD we own are blu ray. I didn't know enough about it to know what can be done and I'm not sure where to start. Is there a place that specializes in AV for MH?
I will get a cable and hook it to the cable in the power bay to see what I like best. Thanks for the info.
Phil
Phil:

If you consult an AV person ask him about digital media players. I have one and it allows me to copy all my DVD's onto a computer hard drive (external type). The drive then plugs into the media player and you watch the movies off the drive.

It takes a little effort to put the original DVD on the hard drive, but once done you just select the movie to watch from a menu on the screen. I have approx 250 movies on a 1 terabyte (that's a TRILLION bytes) drive. Of course bluerays take much more room; you wouldn't get that many of them on the HD.

Finally, the media player also doubles as an Netflix internet streaming device. Cost is minimal; around $100. A 1 TB drive about the same, so $200 for the whole setup. Oh, and you can also put all your music CD's, MP3s, etc on the same drive and use it for your audio entertainment as well.

Boowho??
Old 05-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
whys that ?
Turbs:

The normal dish receiver stores info internally about the type of LNB setup that exists on your antenna. It also stores a list of available channels so your program guide matches your available channels.

Every time you switch (like from a single LNB to a triple LNB) then you have to "notify" the receiver of the change; that's what the check switch does. It also then scans available channels and updates the program guide stored in the receiver.

I guess you could skip the check switch, but I'd imagine it'd be a nightmare trying to get a dish aligned with the LNB settings in the receiver not matching the actual LNB type.

Boowho??
Old 05-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
No I meant as far as RG59 vs RG6, etc THAT difference.

Boowho??
rg5, rg58, rg59, rg6 all differ in ohm ratings and max frequencies...

rg6 rated for 75ohm and up to 3000mhz
rg5 rated for 50ohm and up to 3000mhz
rg59 rated for 75ohm and up to 1000mhz
rg58 rated for 50ohm and up to 1000mhz

most satellite signal (dish to stb) has to be rg6 because of the 75ohm and higher frequency requirement
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #31

Quote:
rg5, rg58, rg59, rg6 all differ in ohm ratings and max frequencies...

rg6 rated for 75ohm and up to 3000mhz
rg5 rated for 50ohm and up to 3000mhz
rg59 rated for 75ohm and up to 1000mhz
rg58 rated for 50ohm and up to 1000mhz

most satellite signal (dish to stb) has to be rg6 because of the 75ohm and higher frequency requirement

OK, got it...... I'd guess that the 1000mhz are pretty much obsolete, then.....

Last question then..... what would be the effect of using the wrong ohm rating.... In other words you should really have a 75 but use 50 or vice versa??

I'm still trying to figure out why my OTA High Def is so much better than my Dish Network High Def.

Thanks, Himcules

Boowho??
Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #32

Quote:
OK, got it...... I'd guess that the 1000mhz are pretty much obsolete, then.....

Last question then..... what would be the effect of using the wrong ohm rating.... In other words you should really have a 75 but use 50 or vice versa??

I'm still trying to figure out why my OTA High Def is so much better than my Dish Network High Def.

Thanks, Himcules

Boowho??
i suspect it's because of the cable you have going from stb to the tv.

like i said before, the tv has an internal tuner. that tuner is connected to the coax to the ota antennae. the tuner sends digital images to the screen internally. no other cable. the internal tuner sends 1080i or 1080p to the screen.

chances are, you have your dish connected to your stb by coax (only way to connect right now). the question is, how is your stb connected to the tv. if you are using coax, then your picture quality is poor. if you are using rca composite to the media switch box, then your picture quality is poor. if using either of these methods, you only get 480 lines per inch maximum to the screen.

only way to get hd picture quality on the tv from the stb is to use a hdmi cable or component video cable. hdmi gets you up to 1080p. component gets you 1080i iirc.

since FR released this model with new TV's that have HDMI connections but insist on using rca composite cables, our picture quality is poor. really bad implementation by FR's entertainment design person. might as well be putting an old tube tv in there since all they are transmitting is that level of picture...
Old 05-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #33

Quote:
i suspect it's because of the cable you have going from stb to the tv.

like i said before, the tv has an internal tuner. that tuner is connected to the coax to the ota antennae. the tuner sends digital images to the screen internally. no other cable. the internal tuner sends 1080i or 1080p to the screen.

chances are, you have your dish connected to your stb by coax (only way to connect right now). the question is, how is your stb connected to the tv. if you are using coax, then your picture quality is poor. if you are using rca composite to the media switch box, then your picture quality is poor. if using either of these methods, you only get 480 lines per inch maximum to the screen.

only way to get hd picture quality on the tv from the stb is to use a hdmi cable or component video cable. hdmi gets you up to 1080p. component gets you 1080i iirc.

since FR released this model with new TV's that have HDMI connections but insist on using rca composite cables, our picture quality is poor. really bad implementation by FR's entertainment design person. might as well be putting an old tube tv in there since all they are transmitting is that level of picture...
For OTA :

COAX (installed by FR) from the OTA antenna directly to the TV and using the internal TV Tuner.

For the DishNet Work

COAX (again, installed by FR) directly to the set top box (Dish Receiver) from the cable connector in the power bay and then HDMI from the Dish Receiver to the TV.

That's how I'm wired. Maybe DN's Hidef signal is no where as good as they brag about??

Boowho??
Old 05-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #34
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
.... and I would like a blu ray player in the MH. Most DVD we own are blu ray. I didn't know enough about it to know what can be done ....
Even though our trailer has a Jensen radio/DVD player, I take a Sony PlayStation 3 with me, set it up alongside the Sat Receiver, and connect it to the TV via HDMI. The A/V connection from the TV to the Jensen takes care of the sound, the the PS3 plays Blu-Ray AND/OR any movies downloaded/copied to it's hard drive.

I didn't get the PS3 for games - when I set up my Home Theater a couple of years back, my son said I "must get a PS3 .... as way better than a DVD player". I did, and I would agree.

Bob
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
I didn't get the PS3 for games - when I set up my Home Theater a couple of years back, my son said I "must get a PS3 .... as way better than a DVD player". I did, and I would agree.

Bob
Your son is GOOD!!!!! He needs to go into sales when he finishes college!!

Boowho??
Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #36
Berkshire 390QS

Have a PS3 and WIIU. the PS3 plays movies great and have HDMI cable hooked directly to TV.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #37

Quote:
For OTA :

COAX (installed by FR) from the OTA antenna directly to the TV and using the internal TV Tuner.

For the DishNet Work

COAX (again, installed by FR) directly to the set top box (Dish Receiver) from the cable connector in the power bay and then HDMI from the Dish Receiver to the TV.

That's how I'm wired. Maybe DN's Hidef signal is no where as good as they brag about??

Boowho??
you are set up the optimal way. can you check your stb's display settings? it should be set to the highest setting since you are on hdmi to the tv.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
Even though our trailer has a Jensen radio/DVD player, I take a Sony PlayStation 3 with me, set it up alongside the Sat Receiver, and connect it to the TV via HDMI. The A/V connection from the TV to the Jensen takes care of the sound, the the PS3 plays Blu-Ray AND/OR any movies downloaded/copied to it's hard drive.

Bob
i used to do the same. i keep the ps3 at home now. i got a sony blueray player that has usb plugs and connect my usb disk drive that has movies on it. the sony blueray player has a similar interface to the ps3 and plays great movies from disk. it also has an hdmi output.

the ps3 is way more machine than i need for travel tv... it's larger and the fan runs louder and needs to be air cooled correctly. the blueray player is 1/4 the size and nearly the same video capability...