Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #1

Satellite Antenna Question

I am planning to get introduced into satellite reception, for Dish Network, using a Dish 1000.4 Eastern Arc manual antenna. Before purchasing, does anyone know if a Western Arc LNBF can be swapped onto the Eastern Arc antenna? So far I got some faint info, that there is a mechanical interlock preventing this, but can however be modified. Is this true?

My method behind this madness is that when in Maine, the WA satellites are 18 degrees elevation, while the EA satellites are 38 degrees high. The manual tripod dish also allows me to locate away from the motor home for a clear shot at the satellites.

Hank

2012 Berkshire 390BH
Old 10-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #2

I did a quick search on Satellite Guys forum and it looks like you cannot swap the lnbf. Something about a notch preventing it. But as an alternative, you can get a dish and lnbf for the EA for about $85.00 from SolidSignal.com. I have both EA and WA dishes and the EA is much easier to set up. At least in my experience it is. I have some property in Oquossoc, ME. and could never get the WA satellites with my portable WA dish. I have no problems now with the EA dish setup now.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
Papi

Don't know of any diff. I have peaked up on both W and E sats without problems. I have a single LNB small dish but an LNB is an LNB is an LNB for sure.
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:34 AM   #4

I believe the 1000.2 dish makes it possible to interchange the E & W LNB's. If that dish will work for you it might be an option.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #5

Papicamper; if your dish has one LNB then I agree with you. However, I'm considering a triple LNB for EA and WA. The triple LNB's have different spacing between them for EA vs WA.

DSurette; from close-up pictures, it appears that there is a keying protrusion that prevents the swapping. But it appears to me that a little modifying can make the swap possible. I would just like some confirmation from someone that put a Wester Arc LNBF on a Eastern Arc dish foe Dish Network.

Hank

2012 Berkshire 390BH
Old 10-11-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
marialee-Berkshire410qs

We have traveled all around the US and only use a Dish 500 with no problems. Sometimes we didn't get HD but that was no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
marialee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, satellite