Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2011, 03:56 PM   #1

Satellite coaxial connection

Recently purchases the new Winegate automatic portable satellite.... When I connect the coaxial directly from satellite to the receiver, everything works fine.

When I connect the coaxial marked "sat" (in overhead cabinet in front of passenger) to the "sat in" connection on receiver and then connect coaxial from satellite to either connector in coach (one in compartment next to door; other in electrical compartment) I get no signal from satellite... Anyone know solution for this??

Also, what's the black switch in overhead cabinet in front of passenger?? It's on right wall next to antenna boost with 12v plug....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The black switch is for the amplifier for the roof top antenna, and should only be on, when watching television over the antenna. Is uses 12 volt power. The 12 volt receptacle is to plug in a 12 volt television.

As for solving your problem you are going to have to have a meter, and short piece of coax, with one end on it. Strip the wires back some, and twist the center conductor to the shield, creating a short. Connect this to one of the connectors on the outside of the coach, and go inside with your ohmmeter set on the lowest scale. Temporarily touch the two probes together, verifying the meter is working. Now check your connectors inside and find the one that is shorted. If it can't be found, it's time to start pulling wall plates.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #3

Black switch - I'm not talking about the antenna booster button next to the 12V plug you push (and it lights up), I'm talking about a black rocker style button mounted into the wall inside the compartment above windshield on passenger side.... It's above the 12V plug.... Can't find any info abt it anywhere.... Would take s pic and post it if I was smart enough to figure out how....
Old 09-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I don't have your unit, so sorry, kind of trying to help with generic stuff.

As for posting pics, don't do the quick reply. Get the pictures on your computer, then do an advanced reply. Up on the top of the box you are typing in, you will see some symbols and stuff.Look for the paper clip, and click it, this will allow you to browse on your computer for your pictures. There are size limits, and such, just follow the guidelines.

Picture is from the top of Mt. Mitchell, highest mountain on the east coast, till you get to the Rockies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-09-03 14.02.45.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	8161  
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #5

All help is appreciated.... I'm out of my area dealing with this.... Just seems to me that this should be a simple plug and play solution IF, and that's a big if, FR did the logical thing which is - make it easy for coach owners... Truthfully I don't see that happening....
Old 09-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
Lottery Non-Winner

I'm not 100% on this, but maybe someone else who is could chime in and confirm this or refute this.

I believe the cable connection in the power cabinet is for cable TV not satellite TV.
I believe the cable connection next to the door is not an input, but its where you can connect an outside TV to watch the game from the comfort of a lawn chair under the awning.
I believe the satellite connection for FR RVs is up on the roof inside what looks like a sewer vent cap positioned above the passenger's seat. The logic being that you might install a roof mounted dish. I think I read that the color of the cable in that vent tube is pinkish.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote