Old 09-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #31
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbalentine View Post
I don't understand the address location or zip. I didn't have to change anything on the home receiver when I was RVing. Just plug it in and it was like I was at home.
I know you can go in and change your zip code if you want, because I did that at home.
I would enter a east coast zip code that way I would receive all channels 3 hrs earlier.
So instead of waiting to watch prime time TV at 7 I could watch it at 4:00pm.
Dish or Direct.......With Direct, when I went to Nashville, I hooked up like always, and got a message with their trouble code, one that had never showed up before along with a phone number. So, I called.,because tracking that far east must of changed something on their end as I wasn't getting any reception...the controller for the Flex had loved on to SATs, they corrected the problem and it's worked fine since.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #32

I believe the HD local antennas on RV's are mostly bi-drectional (360 degrees) so they can pick up channels in any direction.
If you buy a large directional antenna (4-5 footer) and point it towards the nears large city you should be able to pickup several channels. Th antenna could be portable mounted on a tripod as you would do with a satellite dish.
At home I get 36 channels in HD for free.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #33
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbalentine View Post
I believe the HD local antennas on RV's are mostly bi-drectional (360 degrees) so they can pick up channels in any direction.
If you buy a large directional antenna (4-5 footer) and point it towards the nears large city you should be able to pickup several channels. Th antenna could be portable mounted on a tripod as you would do with a satellite dish.
At home I get 36 channels in HD for free.
My antenna also works just fine for locals anywhere....but locals on this Flex are only good far about 250 miles...locals from home area. There' a slim margin of portable set-ups for Direct that are reasonable...cost wise.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #34

When I travel to new locations with my Dish Trav'ler, if far enough away from previous location, I have called Dish with my location. Their techs have told me;" unplug your receiver for 10 seconds." This then let's them locate your reciever. Maybe because you were unplugged, then plugged in you got your service automatically.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:40 PM   #35
Left Coast

Dish's deal is a lot different than Direct...but, Direct also has the pay as you go thing....$6 per month, than have it turned off when not using....I, just leave mine on because I'd forget to call to reactivate. If I had Dish at home ,there would be different venues to work in. With Direct, you don't have to call for zip code change.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #36

There is a lot to know about satellite systems. I suggest that you google some information about them. There are some good websites that explains it all rather than get it in information piecemeal from this forum.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:31 PM   #37
Left Coast

Yeah, we're just common folk.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:45 PM   #38

That's for sure!,When I got my first RV last year I felt like I went back to school again with all the studying and learning the various systems, options and everything else about camping/ RVing.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:05 PM   #39

Bob,
Is that $6 a month if you have Direct at home and the RV is a second connection or can the RV be the only one on the service? Also, is there a reactivation fee every time you want to suspend and reactivate the service?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #40
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Bob,
Is that $6 a month if you have Direct at home and the RV is a second connection or can the RV be the only one on the service? Also, is there a reactivation fee every time you want to suspend and reactivate the service?
No fee...Have had Direct at home for 10 years. What I did was buy a receiver off internet...made sure there wasn't anything owed ( if it was a leased unit and someone didn't pay the bill and sold the box,you'd be stuck for that, or stolen) It's an add-on...had to call Direct, give them the serial number.They looked up my account for my package,made a card up and sent to me. When I got it....I took box from house out to trailer(working box) to set up Flex and make sure I was locked on sat., switched boxes, called them and they activated it......got tired of mov'n receiver box back k and forth....so, on a long trip I still take one from house for outside TV.

Tags
satellite