Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #61

All these wireless devices, "smart" TV's, etc are wonderful if you have a consistent high speed link. Sometime, in a good area my AT&T 4GLTE streams fine with no glitches/burps.

Even then, unless you on an "all you can eat" plan you will burn thru your monthly allocation VERY quickly. I have a 20 GB allowance monthly, and it goes really fast.

Supposedly, Dish Network and others are working toward phasing out all satellite based programming in favor of an all cell based distribution network.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:35 AM   #62
ENE

As long as you get a free internet connection either McDonalds, Starbucks neighbors wifi or RV park surfing the internet is free and does not effect your data plan. Your data plan is only effected when you connect via your cellular connection including your hotspot.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #63

Lots of great tips here. We use the
WineGaurd Mission in motion mounted on the roof with Dish Pay as you go program. A stated already you just have to watch for the trees blocking your signal. We have 2 receivers one in the main room operating the two front TVs, one in the bedroom operating the bedroom and outside TV. I have a infrared eye hooked to the outside TV and the receiver in the bedroom to change the channels from the outside of the coach.
We also use our iPad set up as a wifi hot spot to access wifi throughout the coach. If we loose the Dish signal we switch to Apple TV which is connected via wifi to access either Netflix or Hulu. You could also use a Roku (different brand but like Apple TV either work great), Roku is more user friendly (my opinion).
Love this set up!
Tip: if you get a In Motion satellite turn it off at night as it can be a noisy wake up call in the middle of the night if it moves to find a signal. The wife doesn't like being woke up by a noisy satellite.
Good luck, as others have stated, take your time and get the system that fits your needs and budget!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
stephencamiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #64

Stephen, here's a tip for you.
My dish does not start the searching at night until after it does it's updates and the receiver shuts down.
Change the scheduled time for updates to later in the morning.
Mine is set to update at 6 AM. I get up just after that anyway.
Old 09-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #65

Awesome tip
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
stephencamiolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite