Old 08-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #1

Satellite TV

Man Iím sooooo sick of my Winegard Carryout sat dish...

Lately, all it want to do when I move locations is just search, search and search.... Absolutely wide open Southern sky and it CANíT lock onto the satellites.....

About to decide itís A PIECE OF CRAP!!!!!

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
Lacey's Spring, AL

I know this may come across as a little less than endearing, but the usual case of an antenna constantly searching and not 'finding' any satellites, is because it can't find any satellites.... simple.

Now that you're even more aggravated, I'll tell you my own personal situation where I also was 'aggravated' - I was SURE I had a clear sky, clear view, and no obstructions, and yet the King Tailgater antenna, successful every other time, could NOT for the life of me 'find' any satellites - I KNEW something was wrong with it.

The solution was this: I was actually pointed in the wrong direction.

Now, with the 'automatic acquisition' antennas this would seem to not be an issue, and it really usually is not, but there ARE times when we 'think' we are looking in the right direction, yet the antenna is looking in the CORRECT direction, maybe even 180degrees in the opposite direction, which is NOT clear, and the satellites are NOT viewable. : /

sad, but true.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:16 PM   #3

I had one of those a few years ago and I hated it. Someone else owns it now. I gave it away. Didn't feel right taking money for it. Buy a fire stick
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #4

I use a crank up Winegard which gives me the digital elevation of the LNB. The hardest thing is determining where North is using a cell phone compass. Once I get a good idea (+/-25 degrees) I get a solid signal within a minute or two. However, this is manual and actualll I prefer that.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #5

Any truth to this statement????

ďIn the extreme northern locations the dish wonít lock onto the sats because they are too low on the horizon.Ē

Reason I ask: When I was further South (Pierre, SD) dish locked into satellites with ease....

Now up in ND near Minot and just wonít lock into standard 110, 119, 121....
Old 08-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #6

Brother in law wants to buy one can anyone tell me what to tell him... Thanks
Frank & Cindy *** Rockwood Ultra Lite *** 2019 Ram *** Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies *** TST 507 TPMS *** B&W Patriot 18K *** 3.92 axle *** Goodyear Endurance *** 29 days camped 2019 *** Predator 3500
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #7

Just discovered that according to the Dish coverage map, this area of ND has no coverage - soooo itís NOT my carryout after all.... YEA!!!!!
Old 08-10-2019, 06:24 PM   #8
Lacey's Spring, AL

the reality is that since the satellites are in the SKY, they can be available ANYWHERE you have a clear unobstructed VIEW of them.... no matter 'where' you are ... ND, Alaska, Canada, etc.

the PROBLEM is that as you move more NORTH, you are effectively moving 'away' from the satellite's orbit, which is around the very southern U.S., if not nearer the equator.
As you move north, these satellites are still in the sky, but they are lower and lower on the HORIZON.

How do you get around this issue?

A) HEIGHT, putting your antenna at the most highest possible point you can may solve the problem

B) make sure that when you are looking for the satellites in the 'southern' sky that there are not trees, even low tree lines, in the way, or buildings, etc... as the farther north you are, the more even low tree lines can get in the 'way' of the antenna clearly seeing the satellites, especially 129, which is the lowest...

C) you can also try, with portable antennas, to 'tilt' your antenna slightly toward the southern horizon, which might give it the capability to 'see' them better, as there is certainly a point at which the internal 'eyeball' of the antenna cannot move any lower...
tilting it down toward the horizon allows the eyeball not to have to look so 'low'.

We watched our KingTailgater2 antenna and DISH programs and channels successfully in all the lower states, including North Dakota, and Maine, and even in ALL of the lower Canadian provinces, including PEI(Prince Edward Island), Manitoba, and British Columbia...

Now, word to the wise: don't call Dish and ask them 'why' you can't pick up the satellites in Canada - their stock answer is: we don't support satellite viewing in Canada.
The reality is that they 'can't' support it in Canada, because they don't have the licensing to broadcast in Canada... it's a different country...BUT, that doesn't mean your antenna or your receiver will not continue to WORK just fine there.

Use a zip code/address just over the border into the U.S. if you are changing your LOCAL SERVICE ADDRESS in order to pick up local channels, while in the lower provinces of Canada. You should then receive the local channels of the metro area closest to your location, IF you are really close enough to that spot beam. Regardless, it's worth a try because most of the time you are.
For example: if you are at Niagara Falls, on the Canadian side, you might use an address in Buffalo(NY).. you should see their local channels since you'd probably easily be in that local spot beam area.
If you are in Calgary, Alberta, you might not be close enough to the border to be in a local spot beam, but you can StILL continue to see all the other channels, just like normal.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 100w/5amps roof SOLAR, BlueOx, 100,000+mi since '14... US, Alaska, and Canada... from W.C. Georgia, then W. North Carolina, now Lacey's Spring, AL : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #9

Actually, from a pure physics standpoint, if you can see the bird you can pick it up. But DBS is not that simple. DirecTV doesn't serve Mexico but you would imagine that as you go south the signal would get better. I have been told that it simply disappears! These satellites all have directional broadcast antennas and they don't waste power beaming to areas that they do not commercially serve. I get good DirecTV in very, very southern Ontario (like 1/2 mile from the border) but there is no assurance that the signal is solid further north. Think of it like Continental US spot beams..

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #10

Dish worked in Banff...except 129...

Just left Banff, Alberta today. Was in the National Park campground in the section with no trees nearby. Got satellites 110 and 119 fine. 129 had not worked anywhere along the TransCanadian Highway (1) starting in Indian Head Satstachuan (sp). Since I left Boston in June and headed west and North I have unfortunately run into too many campgrounds with too many trees. I use both my built on King Dome and a portable Tailgater. I get the Tailgater out often as required and keep moving it around until it works or I finally give up!! Such is the way of life up north!

KPfulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, satellite