Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #1

Satellite TV and Internet

I am considering switching from Cablevision to Dish network to both save money on the monthly bills and have the option of using the Dish equipment while on the road. They also have internet service available for the house.
My question is whether anyone uses the Dish internet access in the MH (if that's even possible), and if so, what is required to make that happen (besides the second (dedicated) sat dish for the 'internet' satellite)?

I was told that Dish uses your home phone line for uploads (??) and that is the reason the service is not mobile. I have no clue myself how the satellite systems work and am looking for suggestions and solutions if anyone knows how.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

*BTW - Picking up our new 390-RB on the 13th!!!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #2

Congrats on your new coach!! Hope you have many fun and trouble free trips with it!!

I can't really help with your questions about internet service but when I had Dish at my home, the programming was terrible, I couldn't get internet service and many programs were not shown. I had dish and a friend had direct tv. I was looking for a local teams hockey game and local teams baseball game. I didn't get either. I was told by dish that they were not available in my area. I called my friend who lived about 1/4 mile from me and he was getting both games. That's when I cancelled dish.
Just my experience with them.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

We use dish pay as you go for TV so we only pay for the months we are on the road. As for the internet we use verision 4G. As to a satellite internet system have no idea, but think it would be expensive.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #4

I have Dish at home. Yes, being able to use the same service while camping is a big plus. In the end, I doubt you'll save much money, depending on how many TVs you have at home. It always sounds cheaper until you see it all added up.

I don't know anything about their Internet service (it's quite new).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Same as barry .
We have dish service at home and just take my shop receiver camping.

Have Not looked into there internet .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #6

I've used Dish at home for years.... I purchased a receiver strictly for MH use and pay $7.00 a month for dish service for that receiver.... It's worth the small extra cost to not have any hassle when I want service on the road.... (I didn't want to have to unhook my home receiver and then hook it up in the MH and then reverse the process when I return home). It simply duplicates the service I have at home....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC02 View Post
I am considering switching from Cablevision to Dish network to both save money on the monthly bills and have the option of using the Dish equipment while on the road. They also have internet service available for the house.
My question is whether anyone uses the Dish internet access in the MH (if that's even possible), and if so, what is required to make that happen (besides the second (dedicated) sat dish for the 'internet' satellite)?

I was told that Dish uses your home phone line for uploads (??) and that is the reason the service is not mobile. I have no clue myself how the satellite systems work and am looking for suggestions and solutions if anyone knows how.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

*BTW - Picking up our new 390-RB on the 13th!!!
This MAY not be accurate for DN internet service, but for what used to be known as "Wild Blue" (almost identical service) you cannot get the internet side on any sort of portable antenna; however this is not due to having no land line. At one time, they did use a phone line for outgoing data, but I think that was obsoleted at least 10 years ago.

The problem is that the alignment on the internet sat dish is about 10 times more difficult than a video-only dish, because the "beam" is extremely narrow. The internet sat dish is bi-directional, that is, you send data TO the satellite as well as receive FROM the sat.

I don't think it's even legal to install such a dish yourself unless you've been trained by the service provider; the reason being that you could easily mess up someone else's service.

This is my understanding, anyhow.... A guy I know worked as an installer for WildBlue and this is what he said. He even warned me not to place my hand between the LNB (actually called a TRIA) and the reflector as the outgoing data signal could burn me similar to a microwave.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote