Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #1

Satellite TV Hookup

Need some advice. I have a portable satellite antenna but can't figure out where to connect the cable on the coach. The connection in the electric bay is only for regular cable tv. There is a separate port for satellite under the main television set, so does anyone know where the other end is? The only answer I have so far is that there is satellite prep "on the roof".
If so, is there an accessible connection up there or is that only for a permanent dish?
We are considering Dish-for-my-rv pay as you go service to try it out. If we like it I guess I could put a dish on but want to be sure before taking that leap.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
2013 Berkshire 390 BH-60

That is exactly where that satelite connection terminates, under the roof. I had to use a portable dish and "fish" the cable in thru the corner of the slide out. It's funny that they don't show a roof top dish as an option anywhere in their literature and the salesman didn't mention it either.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Thanks Jersey Guy. I guess that's the only way to go short of a permanent dish.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #4

Start with post #16 in this thread. It will tell you what to do. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post500567
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC02 View Post
Need some advice. I have a portable satellite antenna but can't figure out where to connect the cable on the coach. The connection in the electric bay is only for regular cable tv. There is a separate port for satellite under the main television set, so does anyone know where the other end is? The only answer I have so far is that there is satellite prep "on the roof".
If so, is there an accessible connection up there or is that only for a permanent dish?
We are considering Dish-for-my-rv pay as you go service to try it out. If we like it I guess I could put a dish on but want to be sure before taking that leap.

The other end of the cable you mention IS under the roof sheeting. If you need it, I have the diagram provided by FR. I also used a wire (signal) tracer to verify where they said it was, before I drilled the whole.

It's up fairly close to the OTA antenna and is IS completely covered by the roof.

I will add this; they take the easiest way out at the factory; or worse they deliberately try to screw you over. The COAX at my rear TV was Orange. I find an orange COAX in the main entertainment compartment. Easy right???

NO!!! The ORANGE wire ran thru the wall about halfway to the compartment at which point it was connected with a "barrel" connector to a BLACK piece of COAX and THAT is what terminated in the compartment.

I figure they just ran out of orange and use black to finish the "run"; How dumb is THAT???

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Thanks Barry and Boo: so its either rewire or drill (&$@!). I absolutely Love my Berkshire but this us one of those headscratchers for sure!
I guess the simplest answer is to push the cable thru the slide seal.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #7

I choose to drill a hole from the entertainment center to the basement. I store my dish in the basement and made a hanger to hang the coax cable. I have the sat box in the entertainment and use the video option to send the signal to the bedroom TV. I have a antenna on the sat box to enhance the remote signal. It's not perfect but works very good and is a nice and clean set up. i didn't want a dish on the roof and was not happy with the dish signal from the existing cable in the rear of the MH. This way I get a direct hook up from the dish to the sat box. I would send pictures but the MH is in storage until January 4.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #8

Just a suggestion! If your RV had an option for an outside entertainment center and you do not have one, there is a coax wire in that compartment which can be connected to your dish and with a connection change made at your main TV entertainment cent.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC02 View Post
Thanks Barry and Boo: so its either rewire or drill (&$@!). I absolutely Love my Berkshire but this us one of those headscratchers for sure!
I guess the simplest answer is to push the cable thru the slide seal.
FR finally admitted to me that NOBODY knows exactly where wiring "runs" (for anything) are located because each coach is different, depending upon where the particular installer feels like putting something. And they don't keep a "map" for each individual coach

Whether or not the plumbing, etc is the done the same way, I have no idea, but not even the original installer knows on the electric because they have no "standards".

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote