Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #1

Satellite TV providers

I have a King Dome 9704-LP satellite antenna. Direct TV does not provide HD thru this model and Dish TV requires you to by receivers and if you only by one, it does not give you capability to watch different channel on different TV. Do most folks upgrade their antennas or what other options are out there?
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #2

I have a Winegard Trav'ler mine is for Dish but I know they have one for Direct HD as well. Nice thing about it is it locates 3 satellites at the same time.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
I have a King Dome 9704-LP satellite antenna. Direct TV does not provide HD thru this model and Dish TV requires you to by receivers and if you only by one, it does not give you capability to watch different channel on different TV. Do most folks upgrade their antennas or what other options are out there?
I don't believe that to be true.
You don't "have" to buy a receiver from dish.
Bought my last 2 on ebay. "Cheap"

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #4

Satellite TV providers

I have a Winegard Roadrunner, Mission, in motion. This unit supports two receivers. I have one receiver in the main salon and the other in the bedroom. I have a wireless digital transmitter to send the tv signal to the front TV and the outside TV is hard wired. The bedroom can watch different channels while the other three are on.

Paul
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
I have a Winegard Roadrunner, Mission, in motion. This unit supports two receivers. I have one receiver in the main salon and the other in the bedroom. I have a wireless digital transmitter to send the tv signal to the front TV and the outside TV is hard wired. The bedroom can watch different channels while the other three are on.

Paul
With Dish Network service, Supports two receivers for simultaneous viewing of different programs located on the same satellite.

That is a big limitation if on Dish Network.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
I have a Winegard Trav'ler mine is for Dish but I know they have one for Direct HD as well. Nice thing about it is it locates 3 satellites at the same time.
Just looked into the Winegard SK SWM3 TRAV'LER and yes then Direct has HD available, but that's another $1600, not including install. I might have to settle for Dish and find a couple receivers online instead of buying them from Dish. I have the brand new antenna on there now, might as well make it useful.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post

Paul
And what service do you have Paul?
Old 06-03-2015, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
With Dish Network service, Supports two receivers for simultaneous viewing of different programs located on the same satellite.

That is a big limitation if on Dish Network.
I suppose you have a Winegard also Dan? Maybe this is something I should have looked into further and upgrading before purchasing coach.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:07 PM   #9

Ben I have a King Dome also. Dish does not work to handy with 2 receivers on different channels. If you read the instructions I think it recommends against 2 receivers.

May be done, but there is only one LNB. If someone changes channels on one TV and the dome switches to a different SAT in the sky the other TV loses signal.

Or maybe you have something set to record. Then you find out your recording is blank because it could not switch sats.

I have used 2 Dish receivers with a dome before and it's a real pain.

We now use a single 211 receiver and slave the second TV off it. Both TVs have to watch the same channel.

Only way around it is a Traveler with multiple LNB. Or Directv and no HD.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Ben I have a King Dome also. Dish does not work to handy with 2 receivers on different channels. If you read the instructions I think it recommends against 2 receivers.

May be done, but there is only one LNB. If someone changes channels on one TV and the dome switches to a different SAT in the sky the other TV loses signal.

Or maybe you have something set to record. Then you find out your recording is blank because it could not switch sats.

I have used 2 Dish receivers with a dome before and it's a real pain.

We now use a single 211 receiver and slave the second TV off it. Both TVs have to watch the same channel.

Only way around it is a Traveler with multiple LNB. Or Directv and no HD.

Thank you Dan for the clarification, seems like that is pretty much the thin and thick of it. With my antenna now my choice is, Direct with SD and multiple TV usage with a 2 yr contract, or Dish with HD and limited TV usage with month to month "pay as you go". This is a quandry!
Old 06-03-2015, 09:41 PM   #11

Honestly, it all depends on what you want. I have the Direct-TV Winegard Travl-r open faced automatic dish which locates all three satellites to include all of my local and HD programming no matter where I am. Yes the dish was a little pricey but, this dish is the best I've ever owned!! I've had a dome dish on other units and could barley get signal in certain areas and if it rained or was humid out, I'd loose signal! With this dish I've gotten 90% signal in very covered areas and have never lost signal in a storm or any other time! I've posted a pic of a place I got signal where I never thought I would but I had 98% on all three satellites! Again I believe you get what you pay for and I love this dish.

JasonClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1433385671.157158.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	78980

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:33 AM   #12

I have Direct TV for the sole selfish reason the have NFL Ticket.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #13

Satellite TV providers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
Just looked into the Winegard SK SWM3 TRAV'LER and yes then Direct has HD available, but that's another $1600, not including install. I might have to settle for Dish and find a couple receivers online instead of buying them from Dish. I have the brand new antenna on there now, might as well make it useful.
I use my Dish receiver from the house when we travel so no additional expense. That receiver accepts two HD inputs so I can watch 2 different changes or DVR one channel while watching another.
Also have you looked into Dishes RV receiver that you only pay when you travel.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15berkxl View Post
I use my Dish receiver from the house when we travel so no additional expense. That receiver accepts two HD inputs so I can watch 2 different changes or DVR one channel while watching another.
Also have you looked into Dishes RV receiver that you only pay when you travel.
If you are talking about the "pay as you go" , then yes, but they still are charging me to buy the receiver from them (or find on Ebay as was mentioned). Taking yours from home sounds like a great idea but would not work for me...I have verizon FIOS at home but as soon as we leave here, it won't be my home. We are hitting the road full time.

Tags
satellite