Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #1

Saw a wreck

Driving through South FL we ran into stopped traffic around Miami. When we got up to the wreck it didn't like anyone was hurt but their was some badly damaged cars. The worst was between a SUV and a truck towing a 5th wheel. The reason this was worth mentioning was that the entire hitch the 5th wheel part was torn from the bed and the trailer was pushed into and demolishing. the cab. I have never heard of this happening. I has happy they were ok but they were lucky. That's a lot of trailer to have hit you. Scary.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Another good reason to have an eight foot bed.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:01 PM   #3

I couldn't tell you what size bed it was. I was trying not to rubber neck and paying attention to my own rig.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #4

Too much shearing force and any mount will break at the weakest point, and since that that which is behind you must continue to move forward until all the force is distributed (including that provided by the guy texting who rear-eneded you doing 85mph.) I doubt that the friction created by a longer bed would do much. Still, something to keep in mind when traveling at highway speeds.

I once saw a massive class A auger in due to a blowout while they were passing people going around 75-80mph - it was not pretty.

- R
Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #5

My hitch is bolted to the frame not the bed which is one reason I bought the Pullrite.

Glad no one was hurt.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #6

I have been on several accidents involving trucks with goose necks and 5th wheel hitches and most of them had sheered or come loose on impact. The chains on goose necks held up though. The results were same with long or short beds.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #7
Columbus 302 rs

Saw a slow speed wreck on a hill in a campground and the hitch tore apart. It wasn't rated for the weight of the very large and heavy fifth-wheel. I have a long bed pickup but wouldn't expect it to make any difference if there were shearing of the hitch.
TheEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWayRandall View Post
Too much shearing force and any mount will break at the weakest point, and since that that which is behind you must continue to move forward until all the force is distributed (including that provided by the guy texting who rear-eneded you doing 85mph.) I doubt that the friction created by a longer bed would do much. Still, something to keep in mind when traveling at highway speeds.

I once saw a massive class A auger in due to a blowout while they were passing people going around 75-80mph - it was not pretty.

- R

I wasn't implying 5th wheels were more dangerous than a MH and I think about what a wreck in ours would look like. Not good. I think that we all operate our rigs in a safe manor. It's just a reminder when you see something like this.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 AM   #9

It's always very sobering when you see something like that - no doubt. I have logged well over 1 million miles on the highways (many of them in Florida btw) and in that time, sadly, I've seen a lot of accidents involving all sorts of vehicles. My comment, like yours, was just intended to bring up how much weight is moving down the road and what happens when it gets out of control. I didn't mean to imply anything else

- R
Old 03-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #10

And another reason (besides fuel economy) that I just "puddle along" at around 58 MPH. More reaction time and if you do slam something the energy you have do dissipate is less.

Plus as a full-timer, I have no where to go and the rest of my life to get there.

Even though I always travel in the right lane, I still get the finger once in awhile. I just wave back (with all 5 fingers) as though they were my best friends!!

Boowho?

P.S. A real negative to our coaches (and most DP's) is that if you really crunch the front in a head-on, the door will probably jam and be impossible to open.
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #11

Just pulled this photo from a police web site I belong.......not a pretty looking rig and I'd think it has totally ruined their day. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1394071222.799495.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	47237

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote