Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #1

Septic connection

Has anyone put in a pump out into their own home septic tank. If you have did you put a trap or some kind of one way valve in line connected to the exeisting pipe from the house to the tank. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Scott

3rd generation Disabled Veteran, oldest son is 4th Generation Disabled Veteran...its a family tradition.
Scokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scokat
Has anyone put in a pump out into their own home septic tank. If you have did you put a trap or some kind of one way valve in line connected to the exeisting pipe from the house to the tank. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Scott
I just dump right in the top of the tank.
I didn't have enough fall to install a pipe.
Removing the lid is a pain but it works for me.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I dump into my lawn vent and trap. It is down hill from my driveway.

I just bought 5 10 foot sections of 3 inch PVC; glued a union to one end of each; put an elbow fitting with a short piece of glued in 3 inch and left one end open to receive the "run" from the camper. One piece of 10 foot has a black sewer coupling on it for my dump hose.

Amazon.com: Valterra T1027 Rotating Rigid Sewer Pipe Bayonet Adapter with 3" Male Thread x Bayonet Hooks: Automotive

The camper will drain just fine. Had the township drive by several times and no troubles from them about doing this. They are P%$^s about grass clippings in the street so if there was a problem doing this I am CERTAIN I would have heard about it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #4

As I recall, the flo-jet pump instructions suggest just running the hose to the nearest toilet. The toilet bowl acts as it's own trap.

Rather than drag the hose through the back door, kitchen to the nearest bathroom, I put it into a cellar window and pump into the old washing machine drain (we moved the laundry room upstairs a few years ago, when I built an addition on the house).

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I just dump right in the top of the tank.
I didn't have enough fall to install a pipe.
Removing the lid is a pain but it works for me.
Ron
Never thought about it, but I could do this, too. A few years ago, after digging up the tank-hatch to have the tank pumped, I installed two chimney blocks on top of the tank, and then put the hatch back on that. That brought the hatch just over the surface grade. I then picked-up a set of plans for a back-yard "wishing well", modified the plans slightly, so that the inside opening was a few inches bigger than the hatch, built the wishing-well, and put it over the hatch.. Now to pump-out, I just move the wishing well out of the way, and lift the hatch. To put a garden hose to pump IN, I wouldn't even have to move the well, just tip the hatch inside of the well! Thanks for the great idea!!!!

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #6

I have a fairly new tank that has knockout holes it so I knocked 1 out and put a short piece of 3" pipe and elbow with a threaded coupling up top to screw a cap in like you would have at a campground.
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Mod free 5er

We always dump before we leave the last campground and the only thing in the tanks is calgon, soap & 3-4 gal of water which we leave in the tanks until we go camping again and empty when 2/3-3/4 full. Never winterize, because when it gets close to freezing here in Concord, NC, we head to FL.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

You may have a cleanout fitting between your house and the tank, but it depends on what the plumbing code requires in your area. If you can find it, that's an easy access point. Would have a threaded cap on it like in a campground. Tanks can be 3 compartments sometimes, so make sure you dump into the first section.

Won't need a P-trap at the access point as long as you have a threaded cap on the pipe. If you remove the lid to the tank, remember that the tank(s) are part of a sealed system that vents sewer gas back up to the vent pipe in your roof.

If you are looking for a home project, you could locate the tank inlet pipe and install a wye fitting and new inlet for RV use. If you need to extend the pipe, it should have a min. slope of 1/4" per foot. I did this 6-7 years ago when building our house before I even dreamed of owning a TT. Inlet is beside our driveway so I could dump when we get back home if needed. Not sure we ever will use it, but it's there.

Helpful hint on septic tanks: make sure it gets pumped out every 2-3 years and not 6 or so like us. Just had ours done yesterday because 2 toilets on main floor kept plugging up. Would not be fun to run a line from your RV into a toilet only to find 30+ gallons of black water in your house because your tank needs pumping.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc
We always dump before we leave the last campground and the only thing in the tanks is calgon, soap & 3-4 gal of water which we leave in the tanks until we go camping again and empty when 2/3-3/4 full. Never winterize, because when it gets close to freezing here in Concord, NC, we head to FL.
We always dump before we leave as well .
But when we have our annual camping party at my acreage that's when home dumping is needed.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #10

We recently went from septic to sewer. And had them leave the clean out extra long so we could open and dump. The is also a anti back up valve just up hill from it so no chance of it backing into the house. The drop from our house to the sewer is all over 9 feet so we have plenty of flow.
Jamisonhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #11

When I had septic I dumped it in the clean out right before the tank. Recently we put public sewage in...I left a clean out next to the driveway, I can dump it into there...probably isn't needed but just as a precaution I always turn the faucet on the laundry tub just to add some extra water to the flow.
Willysrule is offline   Reply With Quote