Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #1

Sewer hose does not drain.

I connected to the sewer at the park which has a threaded connection. I screwed in my 90 degree connector and then connected to the RV. To test it out I opened the grey water tank first and the hose filled with water and expanded some.
I have to hold the hose up and then after a couple seconds it will start to drain down the sewer pipe.

Does it need a vent? Should I not screw it into the connector?

I can understand the need to be level or down hill to the sewer but not it staying in the sewer hose.

Thanks,
Mike
MBTRAMMELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

It sounds like the CG sewer is blocked. Close the lines and see if you can get what’s in the hose to drain.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckerburg View Post
It sounds like the CG sewer is blocked. Close the lines and see if you can get what’s in the hose to drain.
Thanks for the response, turns out I just needed to get something to support the line to keep it level. Simple mistake by a newbie.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #4

It's actually not a bad thing because it will act like a P-Trap and not allow sewer gases back into the RV if you want to keep the gray water valve open and not have to open it periodically to empty. It will not back up into the coach as long as the coach outlet valve is above the sewer connection. Just a thought. It's gray water not the other kind. Disconnect at the RV and raise the hose to empty into the sewer.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #5

Remember to close the gray the day before you leave, then when ready to go, drain the black first, then use the gray to rinse out the black stuff.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #6

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTRAMMELL View Post
Thanks for the response, turns out I just needed to get something to support the line to keep it level. Simple mistake by a newbie.
Yes, those "slinky" things work pretty well for the job. After over 40 years of trailering, I finally broke down and bought one this year. It is the plastic one that accordions out and works fine with no metal to rust or corrode. Just got tired of having to lift the hose after every dump. Remember as previously noted (by bubbles) to dump the black water before dumping the gray. If you are at full hookups, you can leave the gray water open all the time and just close it before you dump the black (or it could back up and cause a mess in the gray tank). Sometimes, if I was dumping at a dump station (but, I try for full hookups all the time), I could (after dumping) take the dump hose out of the drain, hold it high, and fill it with rinse water and lift it up so it backs up rinse water into the tank and then put it back into the drain to get anything else out. Works in a pinch, but, be careful to keep the hose up (like a reverse P-trap) above your drain valve (tank) until you get the end back in the drain! Otherwise it could get messy.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #7

I got two cheap 10' plastic gutters and cut them 6 1/2' so they fit in the truck bed. I carry all four pieces (two 6 1/2' and two 3 1/2') and use them with the plastic accordion folding sewer support thingy. Works okay, but it still won't run uphill.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
Yes, those "slinky" things work pretty well for the job. After over 40 years of trailering, I finally broke down and bought one this year. It is the plastic one that accordions out and works fine with no metal to rust or corrode. Just got tired of having to lift the hose after every dump. Remember as previously noted (by bubbles) to dump the black water before dumping the gray. If you are at full hookups, you can leave the gray water open all the time and just close it before you dump the black (or it could back up and cause a mess in the gray tank). Sometimes, if I was dumping at a dump station (but, I try for full hookups all the time), I could (after dumping) take the dump hose out of the drain, hold it high, and fill it with rinse water and lift it up so it backs up rinse water into the tank and then put it back into the drain to get anything else out. Works in a pinch, but, be careful to keep the hose up (like a reverse P-trap) above your drain valve (tank) until you get the end back in the drain! Otherwise it could get messy.
Thanks I meant to get one before the first trip and forgot. I will get one now for sure.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymil View Post
I got two cheap 10' plastic gutters and cut them 6 1/2' so they fit in the truck bed. I carry all four pieces (two 6 1/2' and two 3 1/2') and use them with the plastic accordion folding sewer support thingy. Works okay, but it still won't run uphill.
Well, if you want it to run uphill..... you will need a ram pump! Just for fun, here is the link to a couple of pumps that pump water (fresh) uphill:

Pumping Water Uphill With No Electricity

Kind of interesting.

By the way, the thing I liked about the plastic slinky hose support is that it can curve really easily - doesn't have to be in a straight line. I don't know how long the plastic will hold up, but, it worked all season this year (about 25 nights). Got it at Wall-Mart - a Camco product, I think. They also had the metal one as well. I did buy the plastic gutter, but, with bike storage, etc. couldn't get a good place to put it (and it wouldn't bend). So it holds PVC pipe up in my barn loft for now. The plastic slinky stores in a very small space and has a carrier handle that clips on - and it is cheaper than the metal one.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 AM   #10

Always drain Black tank first !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain