Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #1

Sheared Fan Hub Bolts revisited

OK, I've looked at my fan hub and do NOT have the upgraded 5 bolt unit.

So, in reviewing older threads is seems that the problem was caused by undersized bolts, OR bolts made from an inferior grade of metal. Can anyone verify this?

I'm going to try and back out one of the four bolts to see what size, grade, etc it is. I figure by tossing a drop cloth on top of the engine, I can just lay face down on top of the engine and maybe get one out fairly easy.

If the fan is clutched, then every time the clutch engages and starts the fan, a slight amount of shearing would occur and after many, many such clutch engagements the bolts then shear completely.

I suppose one could actually replace the existing bolts with new ones every year as part of annual maintenance. IF not that hard to do, that might be a good solution.

Thoughts anyone??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

Freightliner told me they used lock tight blue on the bolts so it might be easier said than done removing one. From my college days metal will not show wear until it breaks then will shear all at once so backing one out will not show anything. May just want to verify they are tight.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Replace belt driven fan with an electric one and eliminate the problem entirely.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #4

Been through the issue of having the bolts sheer. Actually one sheered and the bracket cracked in half. No have the 5 bolt installed. Been meaning to follow up on a thread i started when it happened but haven't had a chance yet. Know pretty much everything you'll need to know....lol
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

Have they corrected this problem and if so what year coach did they come out with the new style pulley / bracket ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Have they corrected this problem and if so what year coach did they come out with the new style pulley / bracket ?
Only way too know for certain would be to examine the hub yourself as a couple of us have done. Mine is a 2011 and has only 4 bolts.

Whether or not coaches newer than 2011 have 5 bolts, I have no idea.

Since I only have 4 bolts, I assume I'm liable to have this MAJOR problem at any time. Currently have 20K miles on the coach.

I'm going to try to be proactive and either get the 5 bolt hub, or a new electric fan; whichever is cheaper.

I guess I could hope that even though I have only 4 bolts, those bolts may have been beefed up on newer chassis'. But I won't count on that unless I can prove it.

Boowho??
Old 10-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Freightliner told me they used lock tight blue on the bolts so it might be easier said than done removing one. From my college days metal will not show wear until it breaks then will shear all at once so backing one out will not show anything. May just want to verify they are tight.
Blue Locktite will come loose fairly easy. RED is almost impossible; maybe IS impossible.

And backing one out will at least tell me the actual bolt size; assuming the bolt hasn't weakened and I snap the damn thing off. THAT would be just plain ugly.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Boowho??
Old 10-17-2015, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
Been through the issue of having the bolts sheer. Actually one sheered and the bracket cracked in half. No have the 5 bolt installed. Been meaning to follow up on a thread i started when it happened but haven't had a chance yet. Know pretty much everything you'll need to know....lol
Do you know the price of JUST the 5-bolt hub (no labor).

Boowho??
Old 10-17-2015, 09:49 PM   #9

Electric fan will probably improve you mileage a bit. That's why almost no cars use engine-driven fans anymore.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:39 PM   #10

In reference to this topic what engine and year couch is this problem associated with?
jmgllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgllt View Post
In reference to this topic what engine and year couch is this problem associated with?
Not sure, but seems to be 2011 and earlier right now. May be newer too, but I don't know one way or the other.

Boowho??
Old 10-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Electric fan will probably improve you mileage a bit. That's why almost no cars use engine-driven fans anymore.
Electric fans may not be the best for towing. They apparently they do not move nearly the volume of air that the stock fan moves. Like maybe half at best??

Boowho??
Old 10-17-2015, 11:44 PM   #13

How do I know if my engine is effected by this, I have a 2012 340?
jmgllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Do you know the price of JUST the 5-bolt hub (no labor).

Boowho??

Price was $960CAD so prob around $700US. I have the correct part numbers for the bracket/hub and bolts and washers as well, along with the Service Solution information from Freightliner. When I am back in my office on Monday I'll post the info.

It should also be noted that this job can be done WITHOUT removing the radiator. I have heard of some people being told by shops that it has to come out, and of course much more money to do so.

Also a good idea that while you are in there to replace the engine thermostat.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgllt View Post
How do I know if my engine is effected by this, I have a 2012 340?
You could call Freightliner Custom Chassis (don't have the number handy) and give them your VIN number. They can tell you. Or you can crawl up beside the exhaust system and with a inspection mirror count the bolts on the bracket.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:17 AM   #16

Yeah not sure that I'd fit up there, but I was thinking possibly with a mirror or I have a Dewalt Inspection camera that should get it.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #17

I do not understand how they might change an existing 4-bolt to 5-bolt. Seems like they have to drill and tap four locations or add one location to the four already there.

I haven't checked yet, but I was wondering whether Access Freightliner shows what you have. When I go into this site, it gives me the parts for my serial number chassis. However, the fan mount may be a Cummins item and therefore not included.

For Access Freightliner, you need to sign up for it at....

www.AccessFreightliner.com

Hank
Old 10-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #18

Boo I totally understand your concern but if you remove even one bolt and bolt should break you not only cause yourself a major repair to extract the remaining bolt but now FL has no liability to repair the clutch should it be defective.
Should a class action suit or recall be filed you could excluded from it.
If FL has denied that your engine is a potential make them put it in writing easiest way is to put it in writing and make them reply in writing.
Another way is to file a complaint with the NTSB or FCC then they have to respond.
I just don't want you and others getting burned if this is more than just an isolated case or if FL corrected the possibility of bolts happening.

Wayne
Old 10-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #19

I agree with you Wayne. Be careful there, Boo!
Old 10-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #20

I did go into AccessFreightliner for my coach. Under "Engine Cooling Radiator", there is an assembly called "Fan-Engine". Unfortunately, when I go to open that part, there is a not that states that no graphic is available. It gives me a Parts List No. 263-C00200 and a Part Number of 681 000 05 N1.

I was also led to a Cummins web site, for which I haven't signed up for. It is at..

https://qsol2.cummins.com/cola2/logi...esn%3d73199415

Wow, what a URL !!! Hank

Tags
fan