Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

Should I Change the Waterline Antifreeze

My coach was winterized last November. We were not able to use the coach this past season due to medical issues but are planning to head south right after Christmas. Question is whether the waterline antifreeze is still good (I don't know how long it lasts). I always flush and sanitize on the way south (once the freeze danger is gone), so not worried on that aspect. Anyone know the lifespan of RV antifreeze or any other thoughts would be great. Thanks

RKC02
Old 09-10-2016, 05:41 PM   #2

I just did a Google search and came up blank. I really have no idea. I guess it should be good but for the price I think I would run some fresh in the system just to be safe.
Sorry you haven't been able to use the rig. Hopefully next year is better.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #3

It should be fine, cause I buy jugs to winterize and whatever I don't use I just shelve and use the next year. None of them have a use by date on them.

Mike
mcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #4

Mike the only difference is the product is now somewhat diluted and contaminated. It is also exposed to air. I have no idea what affect those things have in the antifreeze but again the risk and reward tells me to add some fresh.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:28 AM   #5

You could pump another gallon in if you want. I wouldn't "change" what you have but top it off. There should be antifreeze in the lines or nothing where it evaporated (head and traps)

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:51 PM   #6

I read once that reusing the antifreeze one year later is perfectly okay, so I've been saving the jugs and come spring I refill them. I do add another gallon to make up for evaporation and loss. I live in the northeast and never had a problem with freezing. After reading above I'm now thinking I may be thought of as cheap, but I like to think of it as being environmentally sound by not dumping the old antifreeze.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #7

Unless diluted it doesn't loose the ability to prevent freezing. Like car antifreeze it don't go bad just looses lubrication ability
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
I read once that reusing the antifreeze one year later is perfectly okay, so I've been saving the jugs and come spring I refill them. I do add another gallon to make up for evaporation and loss. I live in the northeast and never had a problem with freezing. After reading above I'm now thinking I may be thought of as cheap, but I like to think of it as being environmentally sound by not dumping the old antifreeze.

I hope you didn't think I called you or anyone cheap. I am surprised by your results. It's great to know that it doesn't break down. Thanks for the first hand knowledge. I still don't plan to winterize any RV ever again. My plan is to run like hell to a warmer spot.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I hope you didn't think I called you or anyone cheap. I am surprised by your results. It's great to know that it doesn't break down. Thanks for the first hand knowledge. I still don't plan to winterize any RV ever again. My plan is to run like hell to a warmer spot.
X2 above
the only problem is like one person said it will do is evaporate over time it does not break down like car antifreeze which does in time when its subject to heat and that's why you change your car antifreeze after so many miles or years or face head gasket problems
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:16 AM   #10

I would be concerned with the odor of the antifreeze permeating the plastic water lines if left for an extended period of time. I would drain it, sanitize it, then re-winterize it.

Bruce
Old 09-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #11

Reuse...

The RV Doctor: Re-using RV Anti-Freeze
zalewskim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:16 PM   #12

Thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions. Still semi laid up so knowing I don't have an impending crisis really helps.

RKC02
Old 09-13-2016, 05:31 AM   #13

That's why you only use Rv antifreeze and not auto antifreeze
I have see 2 year old campers sit on a sales lot with factory antifreeze in them and no problem
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #14
BobbyJ

The temperature lowering ability of antifreeze is a colligative property, that depends only on the number of molecules that are present in the solution. No it cannot get old. The people who make antifreeze want you to think it has a life-span, but it does not. Auto antifreeze contains rust inhibitors that does have a life span due to those molecules working on the steel container they are in, (hence, they tell you dump the whole thing and replace it) but the colligative property of lowering the freezing point never goes away.

BobbyJ
State College
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #15
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I would be concerned with the odor of the antifreeze permeating the plastic water lines if left for an extended period of time. I would drain it, sanitize it, then re-winterize it.

Bruce
The "pink" would be in there for the same amount of time leaching into the plastic (yes it does) Flushing and re-filling would do NOTHING to slow that down, neither does sanitizing.

I have read that flushing with vinegar when de-winterizing reduces the flavor/odor left behind by the pink....haven't confirmed that yet, it would surprise me,as I doubt it would get it out of the plastic. Once in the plastic it's in there.

If you use pink, get used to it. I use bottled water for drinking/cooking.

Tags
antifreeze, water