Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #1

single ceiling speaker between driver and passenger

Quick question - today while working on projects inside my 2008 Berkshire, I had the radio playing - enjoying some tunes. I realized that the single ceiling speaker, between the driver and passenger seemed to be silent. There are two ceiling speakers behind the driver and two behind the passenger and four more in the kitchen and dining area. The brochure says the unit has 8 speakers - and there are 8 that belt out music. My question, is that single speaker for the radio? I took it down and it is connected to speaker wire but the speaker itself does nothing...

So - after posting - I'm wondering if this is a surround sound speaker???

As always - thanks. This has been a wonderful resource for a new owner.
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #2

It is a center channel speaker for the surround system and not powered by the radio. It will come on with the dvd player or any movies that are played in Dolby 5.1, including if you have a HD sat receiver. Mine is an '08 as well, unless the newer radio units in the newer MH's power that speaker off the radio, but I doubt it.

James
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #3

On my coach, I do not have a center speaker in the front only the 2 over the driver and passenger seats.

Jboyer/James,
What year and model coach do you guys have?
Have you had the transfer switch replaced and if so, did they have to do anything special to install the new one? Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #4

tmmar,

Mine is a 2008 360QS. I actually just called a Forest River dealer locally (they don't deal Berkshires specifically) but let them know about the recall and they are looking into it and are suppose to get back to me shortly. I haven't pulled the IOTA cover off yet to see if there is any browning on the wires but will likely check it out tonight. Will keep everyone posted....
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #5

I looked into the transfer switch on my coach and all the wires look like new. No browning or any signs of overheating. If you look at the 'transfer switch' thread, you can see a picture I posted of the wiring to my transfer switch. You will see 3 wires, all going into the top of the switch. The new switch has 2 openings on one end of the switch and 1 opening on the other end of the switch. I don't know how the new switch can be installed without running a new wire.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #6

ATS question -

TMMAR,

I just bought mine a month ago. It is an 08 360QS. As part of the deal, I had them replace the ATS - which they did, so I have no idea the condition of the original...
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote