Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

Sleep Number Bed. Who has one and how was it installed?

I am thinking of getting a Sleep Number bed for our new Berk (390RB-60), queen size.

Does anyone have one and if so, how was it installed?

Looking under the bed is a "box" with no storage, so I wonder where the compressor goes and any other tweaks that are needed.

Thanks for any and all input...
JimNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #2

Jim
You should have enough room to out the compressor under the bed as long as the remote will work. You don't change the bed much once you get it set for you. We had one but sold it this spring. We have a Tempera Pedic bed in the MH now.
Have you picked it up yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #3

Phil - Haven't picked it up yet. We have one in our home and has been the best so far... The one we had in our Georgetown was not so good.

We slept in the Serta bed that came with the coach last night and it was a world of difference from what we had with the previous coach... really pretty good.

Or we were really tired from traveling back and forth to Indiana in less than 24hrs (to pick up the coach and deliver the George).
Old 08-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #4

We put on a 2 or 3 inch memory foam topper that we purchased from Costco. This combined with the original mattress is more comfy that our 3500 dollar bed that we had at home. We also put memory toppers on both bunks of of 390BH ... The kids love the.

Not sure of the cost of a number bed ... If cost is at all a factor ... memory foam toppers may be a great alternative.

Tim
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #5

We love our memory foam.... So much we got a memory foam mattress for home....

ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #6

We bought the Sleep Number Bed after a two week trip. We have one at home and really missed it. Though we have a fifth wheel and not a motorhome I don't see any issues. Ours is under the bed and I have the cord coming out a hole I drilled in the side, pretty far up towards the head of the bed. Remotes work with no problem. I am going to install a small inverter for the times when we have no hookups.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #7

We had one in our home lasted about a year and my wife couldn't stand it every time you rolled over near the center you sank in to a hole (foam between the two mattress's). We changed to memory foam she's happy (I can sleep anywhere). In the camper we bought a good memory foam topper and are very happy with the combination.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #8

JimNix,
We have a Sleep Number in our 2008 Berkshire, 360QS. I purchased it last year and installed myself. There was limited space under our bed, near the headboard side, but enough to install the pump. I used a hole saw and drilled a 2in hole right at the hinge of the bed platform and ran the air tubes up through it. On our setup, the pump is almost directly under the hole I drilled, then the tubes just run up to the front of the mattress. We have the 5000 series which has two bladders and a wireless remote control. After installing, I feared the air hoses were a little snug so I called Sleep Number and to my amazement, they FedEx'd extension tubes at NO cost. We would not be without ours - worth every penny to me. Regardless what you decide to do, good luck and safe travels.
sold 2008 Berkshire pusher
sold 2010 Mini Cooper Convertible toad
sold 2015 Nissan Frontier toad
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #9

That is very true with Sleep Number. They replaced all the foam in mine because of mold. That was after four years. They also replaced the plastic frame when it cracked. That was at ten years so we had to pay shipping on that. Great company.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #10

In the Berk, the pump is installed under the bed on the right side (looking towards the bed, standing at the bottom) with the hoses secured with one attachment allowing movement when the slide goes in and out.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #11

Hey Jim, why are you thinking of changing mattresses? We also have a '14 with a Serta and just finished a two week trip and found the mattress to be extremely comfortable. Just curious.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Hey Jim, why are you thinking of changing mattresses? We also have a '14 with a Serta and just finished a two week trip and found the mattress to be extremely comfortable. Just curious.

Rich
Rich, the bed we had in our Georgetown XL was not kind to our backs, nor the quality of sleep. We have a Sleep Number now, and knew we liked that. Spending this kind of money, we thought we would set the coach up as we wanted it.

I've got to admit, we spent the first night in and slept in the bed and I thought it was rather comfortable... My wife still had some issues.

We plan on spending a few more test nights and see how it goes... And maybe five the foam mattress topper a try before we take the plunge.

Tags
bed, led