Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #11

Is that a cable tie wrapped around the tube? I see the clip through the end cap, but how does the cable tie grip the tube enough to prevent it from turning?

Thanks,

Old 05-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

mx800, I would just tighten the spring and forget clamps & locks of any kind on the slide out. The regular power awning is a different animal and I would either put a clamp on it or a lock like I did or something similar. Saw one with a big hose clamp holding a picture hanger clamped to the end of the roller and an alum. screen door spring/chain (chain covered in plastic tubing) hooked to the bottom of the strut.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #13

mx800,
what model coach do you have? I do not have an awning over the dinette/sofa. The only thing on that side of my coach (390by) is the slide topper and unless the whole slide is moving out, I don't see how just the slide topper can extend.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Gusting winds on that side while traveling and evidently not enough tension on the roller to keep it taut.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

I don't understand what is going on here.

The Dometic Topper has an "anti-billow" lever that hits a stop on the wall of the camper when the slide is closed. It is supposed to prevent wind from unrolling the awning with the slide closed because the lever is jammed against the wall.

When the slide moves out the lever is pulled away form the wall and is allowed to turn with the roller. If the roller can turn with the slide closed, the lever is either broken or not adjusted properly; just like Youroo stated earlier.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

I had the dealer tighten the spring on my slide topper. They said they got it as tight as they could It still billows up with a strong gust of wind. I don't see any anti-billow stops on mine.

What would stop this from happening is to keep the wind out. As you can see from the picture on my Berk is if you could put a piece of matching metal under the cover to prevent the wind from getting under the topper. It could be perforated so the water could drain out but not so much to let the wind get in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1715206412.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	14020  
Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
Mod free 5er

Maybe blocking the wind from the end would accomplish it also. As an experiment, I would use some 100mph tape on the end. If it works, cut a pc of alum and secure it to the slide or somewhere. Have to agree with Herk, something is amiss. Do other mh like yours have an anti-billow fixture? If not, maybe fabricating one or modifying a Dometic one and installing it.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
2011 Berkshire 390BH-60

Just got off the phone with Dometic. Part #540 is the anti-billow device. I know I don't have this installed. I guess they forgot about it at the factory?????

eDometic Service Parts Detail

Go to page 9 on the pdf. It shows the install.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3109384.143.pdf (1.31 MB, 141 views)
Old 05-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #19
Future Berkshire Owner

Tater, mine does EXACTLY the same thing. I have temporarily secured it twice with duct tape while leaning out of the windows on the side of the road. (scary). One time I forgot it was still taped when I put out the slide. It broke all 6 pieces of tape that were keeping the topper in place, but it looked like nothing was damaged. I would be interested in a permanent fix for this. I have Carefree toppers.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaterColo View Post
Just got off the phone with Dometic. Part #540 is the anti-billow device. I know I don't have this installed. I guess they forgot about it at the factory?????

eDometic Service Parts Detail

Go to page 9 on the pdf. It shows the install.
Is FR going to furnish them Free of Charge? I would sure try for it anyway.

Tags
awning, led pad