Old 08-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #1

Slide cover billows out in cross wind

The dinette slide on my 2013 390FL is susceptible to the slide cover billowing out in strong cross winds from the driver side. This is the longest slide on the rig and the only one that has that problem. I was on a 30 day caravan with 17 other rigs in the Canadian Maritimes in June and this happened 4 times but none of the other rigs had any problem. This had also happened a couple times before on other trips. The first time it happened I had to cut off the cover since it had torn at the leading edge and continue on without a cover for that slide. I replaced the cover and then it happen again. I stopped at CW to have them tighten the spring and they discovered the spring was broken.
I learned while getting the spring replaced that this slide cover was the longest one Carefree of Colorado made that had just one spring (it definitely should have two!). Had the new spring in when we went on the Canadian trip and still had blow outs. I had to wrap bungee cords around each end to secure the roller tight enough to avoid blow outs. Fortunately I didn't tear the cover although it did stretch some.
I contacted Carefree to see if a flex hard cover was available that encompasses the rolled up soft cover when the slide is in, like I have seen on many other rigs. They said it was not and that furthermore the model I have is no longer available. They had no solution for me. If I replaced the whole slide cover assemble with something new I might have the problem of brackets not matching up with existing mounting holes.
Has anyone else had this issue and solved it?
Thanks for any inputs.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 08-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #2

More...the reason the cover blows out is because the metal cover underneath the roller leaves a gap of about a half inch at the side wall and strong 35-40mph winds blowing at right angle to the rig have nowhere to go but up the side wall and thru that narrow opening, which increases its velocity. Since there is no top cover over the fabric cover and only one spring at one end the roller unwinds and allows the fabric cover to blow upwards. Looks crazy going down the road and embarrassing. I'm not sure if this is Carefree's fault for not having another spring at the other end or FR's fault for failing to put a hard flex cover to encompass the fabric cover.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:09 AM   #3

Go to www.awninglock.com.... This is exactly what you need....

Old 08-22-2016, 12:14 AM   #4

The exact same thing CAN happen to your main (patio) awning.... Ask me how I know that !!! The arms have NOTHING to do with keeping the awning fabric from sailing... The actual roller itself MUST be locked in place because a strong crosswind WILL force the material to billow and when that happens it WILL ruin the portion of the motor that actually turns the roller....

HAD IT HAPPEN TO ME LAST MONTH !!!!!

Old 08-22-2016, 12:25 AM   #5
Land of the Midnightsun

Billowing arms or billowing locks. Put them on solve your prob
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:26 AM   #6
Land of the Midnightsun

Couldn't find pic
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
Couldn't find pic
It is on this page:

Which RV Awning Travel Lock Do I Need?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
The exact same thing CAN happen to your main (patio) awning.... Ask me how I know that !!! The arms have NOTHING to do with keeping the awning fabric from sailing... The actual roller itself MUST be locked in place because a strong crosswind WILL force the material to billow and when that happens it WILL ruin the portion of the motor that actually turns the roller....

HAD IT HAPPEN TO ME LAST MONTH !!!!!

Unfortunately it is my SLIDE COVER that is having the problem, not the awning. I checked the website with the link you provided and while it is a great solution for an awning, I can't figure any way to use it with my slide cover roller. There's no arm to attach to.
Thanks for your help and happy trails

Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

The "pin in roller" idea just might work for a slide topper as well.

I will need to look at mine to see how something like that might work.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #10

Great! Hope you come up with something. Of course, if there is a pin lock solution one would need to put a flag note on their slide control panel inside the rig so they don't accidentally try to extend the slide with the pin inserted lol😳
I have to remind myself of that even now when I lock it down with bungee cords. The main problem with the bungee cords is having to guess whether you will encounter problem winds, and I have to get out the ladder to put them on and take off. Would not have this issue if Carefree had just designed it with two springs.

Tags
cover, slide