Old 09-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #1

Slide Drift and Equalizer Cylinder

I drive a Berkshire 40a. Has anyone replaced the passenger side hydraulic cylinder yourself? It is rather long and is mounted above the steel frame. Ordered a new one from Equalizer after slide started drifting out a few inches. I'm finding it difficult to remove the old hydraulic cylinder. It is unbolted and drained of fluid. The ram/shaft is 15" from fully retracting inside of the cylinder. Any ideas on how to remove it ?

Berkshirebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:57 PM   #2

When we had a slight problem with our slide creeping out (after having some adjustment made) we talked to equalizer who told us that it was likely air in the system since we couldn’t find any leaks. That fixed it. Looking at my kitchen slide when the slide is completely closed, there is still a fair amount of the ram showing. Mine is a 2016 and yours could be different.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

Check the cylinder, if there is any paint on the shaft, Contact Forest River, On the Equalizer web there is a service bulletin about cylinder failures due to paint on shaft. As for changing the cylinders, I watched an experienced tech change mine and it tool almost three hours and was not east work. This was a single cylinder slide, if itís the full was double cylinder slide, forget it. Unless you are young and kin to Superman. Good luck.
rdonihoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:10 PM   #4

Best to have the slide fully extended. This will give you the room to replace
doughboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #5

Spoke w/a rep from Equalizer and he suggested replacing the cylinder. Finally able to remove the cylinder, but it took a little work.

1. Extend the slide fully open. (Like doughboy mentioned above).
2. Disconnect the cylinder shaft from the slide out.
3. Before disconnecting the hydraulic hoses, retract the slide cylinder all the way in.
4. Disconnect the hydraulic hoses from the hydraulic cylinder and drain oil into catch pans. Spread a large tarp in the cargo bay to help keep it clean.
5. Disconnect the base of the hydraulic cylinder. Mine was bolted to one of the main steel beams under the floor.
6. I was able to remove it through the dust broom/seal that's located under the slide out. Not much room to maneuver it.

I incurred two problems during the removal: #1 because there was a problem w/the hydraulic cylinder, the slide out wouldn't fully open. It took a couple of strong backs to pull it out the extra 6 inches. #2 the hydraulic cylinder wouldn't fully retract after disconnecting it from the slide out. Make sure its drained of hydraulic oil. Put a nut on the shaft to protect the threads and hit the end of the shaft with a 2 lb. hammer until it fully retracted. Without this, there wouldn't have been enough clearance to remove the old cylinder.

Thinking about taking the old one to a hydraulic repair shop and keeping it for a spare. Hope this helps someone down the road.
Berkshirebub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
equalizer, slide