Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 06:26 AM   #1

Slide going "THUD"

Anyone have a similar problem?

When I bring the wardrobe slide in the bedroom in, just as it is closed up, I hear a "thud", similar to the sound of someone throwing a tennis ball at the side of it (I looked and no one was outside with tennis balls).

Slide closes evenly and it doesn't make the sound when opening.

Thanks,
Ken
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:55 AM   #2

Hi Kenny,

Check to see if all eight of your cables are still connected. Should be four inside and four outside. You could have snapped one. It is not uncommon. I carry extras now.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Hi Kenny,

Check to see if all eight of your cables are still connected. Should be four inside and four outside. You could have snapped one. It is not uncommon. I carry extras now.
Are they easy to do yourself?
Old 04-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #4

I learned that one of my cables was unattached when I tried to retract the slide. There wasn't a thud, but only one side of the slide would move. Once the cable was reattached and tension adjusted, all was well. On my unit, there are supposed to be little rubber "keepers" to prevent the cables from un-attaching from the slide. They evidently hadn't been installed, and cables hadn't been properly tensioned, so simply dropped out of the slot.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
If you believe equalizer yes. It really depends how the cable breaks. There is a video on the equalizer web site on changing the accuslide cables. If you have a broken cable or even if you do not you should watch this video so you know what is involved. I have gotten my replacement cable from amazon. The cable is universal.

"BAL 22305 Cable Repair Kit Accuslide" current price $20.00

Also will want to get a hand full of these rather than crimping the cable
"1/8 in. Stainless Steel Wire Rope Clamp and Thimble Set"
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Kenny,
It depends on which cable is broken. If it is one of the top ones, you need to take a panel in the ceiling of the top bunk off and work through a 1-1.5 ' opening. Can be challenging getting the new cable routed trough and around the pulleys (ask me how I know). Not sure how you would get to a lower cables though.
Good luck.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #7

I don't have bunks. This is the 400QL. It's the wardrobe slide and the loose/banging cable is the bottom one.

Looking at the video, it appears I would have to remove all the molding. Is that correct ?

Ken
Old 04-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #8

Just an fyi.....just called CW in Akron where I purchased it and they said I would have to leave it with them for a month......love that CW...
Old 04-13-2015, 03:48 PM   #9

Be careful removing moldings and panels. When my motor went out the dealership techs broke several of mine and a panel. Month and a half later I got my coach back.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Be careful removing moldings and panels. When my motor went out the dealership techs broke several of mine and a panel. Month and a half later I got my coach back.
Will do. I've had two off (not by choice, but by slide movement) and see they're glued on.

I think I'm going to attempt to fix it myself. I'm not going to leave a brand new coach sitting there for a month right at the beginning of camping season. I knew I wasn't going to like CW.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #11

I echo your feelings about CW.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:30 PM   #12

Any tips you can provide about removing the trim would be very welcome. I dread the day I have to get into this repair but it is probably inevitable.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewant View Post
Any tips you can provide about removing the trim would be very welcome. I dread the day I have to get into this repair but it is probably inevitable.
I intend to use a putty knife and small pry bar to SLOWLY work it off. If I can't fix it myself, read on:

To anyone reading this thread and in the northern Ohio area:

After Camping World told me I have to bring it in so they can see what's wrong and then bring it back after an appointment is set up and then add up to another month to get it fixed, I decided NEVER to go to camping world again. (Oh boy. Now I'm going to hear from the crowd that tells me how un-realistict I am)

On the corners of Rt 83 and Rt 82, there is a place called Jim's Trailer Sales. I've known the owners for a few years. They sell Forest River products among Jayco and others. No diesel pushers at this time. Mostly 5er's and TT's. I told him that a cable came off or broke on the slide and they said they would do the warranty work. They further said, if they have any parts needed in stock I can wait there for it AND watch the techs fix it so I can learn how. How great is that ????
Old 04-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #14

Sounds great! I would bring a new cable with me in the event it is needed. This way you might eliminate a trip back.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Sounds great! I would bring a new cable with me in the event it is needed. This way you might eliminate a trip back.
Will do. Cable is on it's way from Amazon.
Thanks Tom !

Tags
slide