Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #41

Wow Bob that's like asking what is better gas or diesels.
I can only say what is best for us. A MH is by far the best way for us. We are retired and I have very severe neck issues so that plays into my decision. We stop often when traveling and a MH is so easy to pull over and take a rest. Easy of set up and take down is big for us. I love traveling and driving the MH. Dianna can make coffee as we drive. We have access to everything when in the road. She sometimes just goes back and takes a nap when I'm driving. When we get where we are going we have a normal size car to drive to see things or just to the store. Lots that others will add.
On the negative side a 5th wheel has more room in it. I also believe that a 5th wheel has a better floor plan. In Michigan a MH cost for plates is ridiculous. Mine were 800 per year. A 5th wheel is a plate for the ever. I fixed that by moving my home state to Florida when I bought a lot there.
Hope this helps and sorry for the hijack.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #42
Always Learning

Great post, Phil.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Phil,

Thanks for the words of wisdom - greatly appreciated!

We may wind up not going with the Tag (I am still running the numbers) but we are pretty positive that a MH is the way to go fo a fulltimer (versus a 5th wheel or Toy Hauler) -- comments would be appreciated however

I'm not a full timer, but I agree with Phil with the advantages that he sites. I love the fact that I can have a coffee or sandwich made for me going down the road and the ability to stop almost anywhere and use a clean bathroom when needed. Driving is really a breeze once you get used to it. However, when looking at 5ver's in Goshen, I was particularly enamored with the front living room model. (Cardinal?) I have lived in smaller apartments. If I was going to be spending prolonged periods in one place, I would definitely consider a fifth wheel. But we like to travel a lot, and a motorhome works better for us. The Berkshire is a great coach, especially for the money. And, as most of us will attest, Forest River diesel division support is second to none! Many of us have been taken care of way after the warranty was done, which shows me their commitment to the customer after the sale.

Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
Thats nuts! In a MH? With a Freightliner chassis? My lightweight 5er has more CCC that your Berkie? That can't be right? I'm thinking there is a zero missing from your "1022"
That IS nuts. On the other hand my yellow door sticker on my 2011 390RB 40 states carrying capacity of 3835 lbs!!!. Obviously over stated by at least 1800 lbs.

And yes I said 3835 CC with the **-40 engine**. Obviously, incredibly overstated and the reason I STILL think about legal action for false advertising.

I've weighed at a 4-point scale and find (depending upon how much fresh water in tank) that I'm typically about 200 lbs over on the rear axle (only). Tires are not the limit, just FR's axle spec.

So although legally over weight, I'm not actually over (I don't think). The rear axle max on my 340 HP is identical to R/A max on the 360 HP (according to a comparison of BOM's). FR "specs" it down by 2000 lbs on the 340 engine (19500 -> 17500). Most likely marketing trickery and deceit; or the old smoke-and-mirrors thingy.

I recently learned that FR does not have a single employee with an engineering degree on staff. Also they do NOT have a scale to weigh each rig. They just take a SWA guess at actual weight. IMHO, we're lucky to have as few a problems as we do with such a "amateurish" design staff.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
That IS nuts. On the other hand my yellow door sticker on my 2011 390RB 40 states carrying capacity of 3835 lbs!!!. Obviously over stated by at least 1800 lbs.

And yes I said 3835 CC with the **-40 engine**. Obviously, incredibly overstated and the reason I STILL think about legal action for false advertising.

I've weighed at a 4-point scale and find (depending upon how much fresh water in tank) that I'm typically about 200 lbs over on the rear axle (only). Tires are not the limit, just FR's axle spec.

So although legally over weight, I'm not actually over (I don't think). The rear axle max on my 340 HP is identical to R/A max on the 360 HP (according to a comparison of BOM's). FR "specs" it down by 2000 lbs on the 340 engine (19500 -> 17500). Most likely marketing trickery and deceit; or the old smoke-and-mirrors thingy.

I recently learned that FR does not have a single employee with an engineering degree on staff. Also they do NOT have a scale to weigh each rig. They just take a SWA guess at actual weight. IMHO, we're lucky to have as few a problems as we do with such a "amateurish" design staff.

Boowho??
Bill I can't comment to much about the engineer other to say when I was going through the whole thing with the overweight I was introduced to a guy as he was the engineer for diesel div. I also have met the new guy that fills the spot as an engineer. Not sure if either one held a diploma. As for the scale I was weighed twice on the scale in the factory. I believe it is still there but I don't know for sure. The last time I saw it in the factory was late 2012.
I also can tell you that the yellow sticker is printed in the control booth for the scale. they have a computer in that booth that they enter the info into. They have to enter the fuel gage and the computer will add the weight if the tank isn't full.
All this may have changed in the last couple of years but that is what I saw. I was in my rig when they pulled it onto the scale.
The biggest issue was with either the computer or the computer operator.Also the old engineer was obviously asleep at the wheel as he let an awful lot of rigs go through without the proper review.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Bill I can't comment to much about the engineer other to say when I was going through the whole thing with the overweight I was introduced to a guy as he was the engineer for diesel div. I also have met the new guy that fills the spot as an engineer. Not sure if either one held a diploma. As for the scale I was weighed twice on the scale in the factory. I believe it is still there but I don't know for sure. The last time I saw it in the factory was late 2012.
I also can tell you that the yellow sticker is printed in the control booth for the scale. they have a computer in that booth that they enter the info into. They have to enter the fuel gage and the computer will add the weight if the tank isn't full.
All this may have changed in the last couple of years but that is what I saw. I was in my rig when they pulled it onto the scale.
The biggest issue was with either the computer or the computer operator.Also the old engineer was obviously asleep at the wheel as he let an awful lot of rigs go through without the proper review.
Oh well, I can't be right all the time.

Boowho??
Old 10-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #47

Can't believe I never saw this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1444402634088.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	91052  
Old 10-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #48

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1444428623.884496.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  97.7 KB
theres the sticker. Wonder why mine is so much less than the others on here...tile floors?

2012 Forest River Berkshire 390FL
2013 Hyundai Veloster
jegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegstrup View Post
Attachment 91089theres the sticker. Wonder why mine is so much less than the others on here...tile floors?

2013 Hyundai Veloster

Mine is a 2014 390fl-60. Also tile floors. Do you have 340 hp?

Rich
Old 10-09-2015, 05:20 PM   #50

Yeah, it it is the 340

2013 Hyundai Veloster
Old 10-09-2015, 05:22 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman94 View Post
Can't believe I never saw this...

Looks like mine is about 800 lbs heavier but with a lot less ccc

2013 Hyundai Veloster
Old 10-09-2015, 05:27 PM   #52

That is about the weight of the tile floor.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:11 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
That is about the weight of the tile floor.

I don't think so, Tom. Got tile in mine as well, and we have the same floor plan. Must be something else that had changed in 2 years.

Rich
Old 10-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #54

Rich,
When FR was doing the upgrades to the air bags, tires and front axle to the heavier duty ones, I was asking them about doing the upgrade to my '08. They told me that it wouldn't be necessary because I didn't have tile floors. If I did have tile, that would have added 800 lbs to my coach. That is where I got that number from and why I thought that might be the difference.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #55

My understanding of the overweight issue is it was caused by the tile floor estimated at over 1000 lbs plus the addition of def adding another 1000 lbs(I always questioned that as it is mostly on the rear axle). The four door fridge add more weight. The RB model was most affected on the front axle because of the configuration. Front axle or not all this took away cargo capacity.
All the yellow stickers are wrong IMO. I wouldn't get to wound up about them until I got the MH weighted.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:54 AM   #56

I definitely believe that number Tom. Forest River gives some spare tiles for any future needs when you buy the coach and they are really heavy. I love the tile for its ease of cleaning, but the weight is definitely a price to pay in carrying capacity. But I'm usually not overweight as long as I keep my beer drinking regulated

Rich
Old 10-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #57

Where do I find the weights allowed for each axle?

2013 Hyundai Veloster
Old 10-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegstrup View Post
Where do I find the weights allowed for each axle?

2013 Hyundai Veloster

The my should be on the information sticker located in the compartment a love the drivers seat. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1444488738.083054.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	91114

Old 10-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #59

WClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1444488927.238645.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	91116
This is my stickers in the cabinet above my drivers seat

2013 Hyundai Veloster
Old 10-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #60

How about empty weight from the yellow sticker? Anyone care to compare theirs to mine:

2011 390RB 40

Empty (dry) weight on mine is listed as 23270

I do have tile floors.

Boowho??

Tags
slide, slide out