Originally Posted by JTN8
Has anyone had the plates for under our slides installed? My 2014 390BH bunk / wardrobe slide became unaligned. Apparently the bottom of the slides are soft wood and the rollers dig into the wood messing the slide alignment up. Randy and his team at FR know about the issue and sent aluminum plates that will mount under my slide to fix the issue. I just dropped the coach off today to get them installed and was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or the plates installed. Highly recommend looking under all of your slides when the are out and see if they are doing the same as mine.
My 2012 BH had problems with the forward end of the slide from when it was new. Back then, FR recommended removing the internal compression seal and it was replaced with a rubber lip seal. The forward end of the slide has continued to give problems and upon seeing the external floor of the slide being ripped open (see picture), I requested plates from FR.
I just finished installing the plates by myself. I decided on both ends of the slide as lift points. The slide is basically a 5-sided box and the strength is on the ends. With the Wardrobe (bunk) slide out, there is still about 12 inches of inside and hence a lot of weight inside. I felt that I needed to find a balance point. I marked the end of the slide and the rubber seal at each end to let me know how much I was lifting. I used a car floor jack and a screw jack as shown and found that I had to lift around 3/8" to enable sliding the plates between the rollers and floor. If I only had one jack, I would have lifted the rear end, placed a 2x4 post under, remove the jack and use it at the forward end.
The five plates supplied by FR where 8" x 26" x 1/8" aluminum with ten counter-sunk hole on each side (only seven per side can be used however). No hardware was provided. Since 70 stainless steel screws would have cost a lot, I used 1-1/4" exterior deck screws. I also determined that this length did not protrude on the inside.
I quickly found out that the rear-most plates where too long and stuck out 3" on the rug inside. Since I did not know what was within the space where the plates go, I was very concerned that the interior end of the plates might jam into something when the slide was pulled in (such as the bedroom carpet or the end of the hallway tile). I decided to cut the rear-most plates to 20.5". I previously done some fishing measurement where the tile was and decided that 26" would ride above the tile.
Screwing the plates in became a bit of a hassle, because some plate rows of holes fell where there was some aluminum frame-work. I had to drill pilot holes in the aluminum using a 9/64" drill bit. The exterior deck screws tapped in very good. I have broken many a screw using a power screw driver, so I experimented with the good old hand Phillips to make sure that the hole wasn't too tight or loose.
Now for the oh-s***, the forward row of screws where the plywood delaminated; the screws would not hold. But thankful that the other row of screws hit on an aluminum frame. Hopefully, one row will be sufficient to hold the plate. Since my compression seal was previously removed, I am not sure if it would present a problem for installing plates.
I speculate that all wardrobe slides of all Berk models are constructed similarly. The BH wardrobe is however much heavier and is the first to exhibit problems.