Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #21

Slide rubbing tile.

FR has tried many different heaters. To think that they haven't tried to find one that worked is not accurate. The problem is that this is new ( for RV) concept in having unlimited hot water. They are one of the only manufacturers to do this instead of doing the expensive Aqua Hot. I would rather not have the Aqua Hot as it takes up lots of basement space. The issues is the Manufacturer's both Gerard and Atwood promise more than they deliver. Now Gerard has a great product in the Gen 3. Atwood had some major design issues as well as some components that failed. Preventable maybe but obviously they happened. In case you haven't noticed nothing on RV's are set and forget. It takes tinkering to keep them working and sometimes to get them working. Fair? No but reality it is. So Truma hit a home run and is a great answer. Fantastic going forward. You say that at this price point it shouldn't have issues. Well there is a reason these Berkshires are cheaper than a Vantana or a DS or a Fleetwood. One reason is they do not have a Aqua Hot. Maybe will in the future but for me they will price themselves out of the market. I want a Moho that is Diesel and not 300,000 dollars. I can't afford to spend that amount of money. That is the Berkshire market and why I bought. A lot for the money but not the frills that I can't afford in a new Moho.
I guess I get sick of the same complaints on every post. This post is about slide issues and someone manages to get in a dig about water heaters. Good god fix the dang thing or swap it out for something that will work. We have beat the water heater subject to death. We have put forward ways to fix it and then it's an issues of the time it takes to get hot.
I'm not saying it's not a issues. I'm saying there are several ways to fix the issue. Pick one and fix it.
Sorry for the novel it's just my daily rant. I'll shut up before I get I trouble. I seem to be on then ice here.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:12 PM   #22

Same.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #23

Says they are 0.5 thick. That's too much for my dinette slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Toad: 2002 Jeep Wrangler

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:53 PM   #24
Dragonship Captain

Phil, first off you need to disclose that you did not do the mod required under the recall, which has made the thing a whole lot more finicky than it already was.

Second, I agree with BB. "With some work" is uncalled for at ANY price point. You replaced faucets, shower heads etc. Now you're complaining about people complaining that they don't follow your advice and run to Home Depot to get hundreds of dollars worth of hardware to replace the stuff they just paid for. Furthermore most people don't even know where to start to install that, or where to find someone to install it for them at great cost. All this on their brand new quarter of a million $$ (give or take) unit. Think about that. In my opinion it is NOT OK, not even by a long shot.

Your point is correct in that there are teething problems in the on demand systems. And yes at this price point the Aqua Hot is not an option so FR tried to do the "almost as good" trick with the propane OD heaters. Except they didn't work well, at all, until we got to the Trumin which they are now installing.

The right thing for FR to have done would be to say "We are not sending these out until we get it to work RIGHT." They should have sent them out with tanks, hey make it a 20G for that Hollywood shower, until the Trumin came along. And they know it, they told me so off the record. They took a shortcut to try and keep up with the Jones's and it backfired.

This is beyond "tweaking" but yes, I will fix it, even though I shouldn't have to. Stay tuned.

To the mods..... We LOVE our unit, I am not badmouthing the thing. I agree with Phil that for the money it is a LOT of bang for the buck. I would buy it again, and I will recommend it to friends. (I'll just tell them to make sure it has a Trumin, or negotiate it as part of the deal). This specific issue FR boogered up though, and I don't feel they are doing the right thing by sending me home with a "It is what it is....." They should make it right, it should not have to cost me money and time.

And sorry for the rant.... Phil started it.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #25

I have no idea where you come up with hundreds of dollars to remove the water restrictions from the shower head. That is really the only thing I did. I replaced the sinks and faucets because I was tired of the plastic crap. My entire cost to get the water heater working is.zero. Remove all of the restrictors and turn down the temperature. Works every time.
My point was that you own the Moho. It seems every post the water heater issue pops up. My comment stands. Fix the dang thing.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #26
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I have no idea where you come up with hundreds of dollars to remove the water restrictions from the shower head. That is really the only thing I did. I replaced the sinks and faucets because I was tired of the plastic crap. My entire cost to get the water heater working is.zero. Remove all of the restrictors and turn down the temperature. Works every time.
My point was that you own the Moho. It seems every post the water heater issue pops up. My comment stands. Fix the dang thing.
I'm fixing it, the parts are in, just looking for the time. And, all the restrictions were removed in mine and it was turned down..... you still can't take a shower that doesn't fluctuate between 50º and 140º.......

Remember, yours doesn't shut down when the flow gets a hair below "a lot".....(that's the recall mod).
Old 01-28-2017, 05:22 PM   #27

Phil57 is right about one thing, this thread was hijacked by the water heater.

Oscar, I feel your pain. I have been putting up with my Atwood heater from the day I purchased the MH in July. And Yes, I have done all of the mods, with the recall mod and still have problems with the heater. Atwood sold Berkshire a poorly designed system that never has really worked and has left it up to the consumer to have to do all the stuff that we all had to do to get some hot water. And the worst part of it is that they "All know it" and no one wants to do anything about it. So here we are, people that have a 2017 model with the Atwood heater that have spent the 200k being told to "just fix it". Good luck on your fix.
joet19711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #28
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by joet19711 View Post
Phil57 is right about one thing, this thread was hijacked by the water heater.
Ya, sorry about that I'll try and behave.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #29

As a technical person, an on demand hot water system just needs to have a variable burner rate, that the heater automatically adjust the rate to keep the output temperature near the desired temperature set by the user (like your home room heater).

A heater such as that described is not rocket science and needs not be as costly as the Aqua Hot. It is amazing that so many years went by until the arrival of the Girard Gen III and Atwood, that works very well. I upgraded from the Girard Gen I to the Gen III and wow, what a difference.

I know that FR or other RV manufacturers does not make the water heaters, but they should have long time ago demanded a better solution from their suppliers or have bought out one.
Hank
Old 02-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
Ya, sorry about that I'll try and behave.
X2, the hijacking is due to the fact that the On Demand Water Heater has been the #1 livability problem voiced by many over the last six years or more.

Now, I too must get off of the soap box and I an very interested in the slide scuffing problem, for which I do not have yet.
Hank

Tags
slide