Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #21

Chris,
I was on a trip and at a campground when mine went out. I was able to get a mobil RV tech to come to me and he diagnosed the problem as the motor/gear box. I got in touch with Randy at Forrest River and they sent me a replacement. Had the mobil tech return and install the unit.

kherm,
As Phil mentioned, I would look around your coach and make sure that they are not hidden in a closet somewhere. If they are not there, contact your dealer and tell him that you don't have the slide locks and that he should get them to you.

Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #22

We did not have a good experience with the dealership and yes we purchased brand new! We are currently looking at trading ours in. Although we love everything about it. The color is beautiful dark wood inside. We feel like it's been in for repairs more then we have used it. We had a trailer and Truck before thinking that might be the way we need to go.
Kherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #23

Slide(s) question

Kherm, don't give up on it just yet. Most coaches have bugs to work out. I know mine did. Once the bugs are out, you will enjoy it a lot.

I had my bunk slide motor go out also. Mine was a broken shaft actually.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #24

Thank you, we will consider your advise and give it some time. We purchased well before we retire in hopes to work all this out. Still have lots of years to work. Time is just limited for these fixes. We do love traveling and have met some great people along the way!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Kherm, don't give up on it just yet. Most coaches have bugs to work out. I know mine did. Once the bugs are out, you will enjoy it a lot.

I had my bunk slide motor go out also. Mine was a broken shaft actually.
X2!! Once the bugs are worked out you will really enjoy the coach. We had kitchen slide problems with our '08 and with the bunk slide motor on our '14. Forest River stands behind their product and will make things right- that is why we bought a second one.
Tom

Old 05-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #26

Thanks Tom and Chris we did check for them no luck! My husband was able to order 2 for $90.00 lucky for us the couch is in the driveway hopefully we can take to someone on Friday! Left another message for Mitch at Forest River no return call yet!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #27

That was coach love the corrections when texting.😄
Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #28

Hi all. Kherm don't give up. Last year I felt the same way ready to trade but this past March I took my rv back to the factory and many things were fixed including a creeping kitchen slide. My slide is still creeping but I think I have a leak because when I retract it I now Hear a leaking but can not see.
I emailed Randy today to find solutions. I went to the Tampa rv show this past winter and saw many new units but I like my rv and I am now making it mine with modifications.
This forum has also been a big help with feedback. Time is valuable especially if you are still working but if you really like your rv it is worth having Randy and his team work out the bugs.
Debbie
Old 05-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #29

Kherm
E-Mail Randy. Mitch works for Randy. You will get a quicker response by e-mail.
Debbie
Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #30

Thanks Debbie I will try emailing Randy were in California. We don't have a lot of choices on taking in for repairs. We do love our coach funny your message just came in right after my Husband and I agreed we need to give it thru next year. We have a trip to Sturgis planned for next year! Although it's only a 2012 we have had many problems! Would be nice to go thru one summer and just enjoy it! The slides just make us a little concerned would hate to get stuck somewhere. Although we would be comfortable!😄
Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #31

Even if you can not get to the factory Randy may know a good repair service in your area. Where I brought my rv caused some of my problems and I will not go back to them. I am going to Gaffney in June for maintenance and then I hope to find someone locally. I just came back from myrtle beach and it was awesome. The space with the slides out and everything working was great. I have a 2011 that I brought new and I am just now starting to really enjoy it. Forest river is very safety concerned and they will make things right when dealers fail to do so. If I can not get the slide fixed on the east coast I will be going back to Indiana but I will time it for the frog rally.
When I was thinking about trading I was looking at Newmar and what I learned from their forum is to take your unit back to the factory for repairs and Gaffney for maintenance because they know your unit. Not everyone can do this but I am going to try just to make sure all systems are working.
Debbie
Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #32

Randy has been a great help with my slide problem, he thinks it is the gear box just like TOM said. We found a place that repairs forest river trailers and he said they are great people to work with and only 60 miles from me. They should be able to replace the gear box. Thanks for everyone's input. Chris
Attached Files
Old 05-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kherm View Post
Thanks Tom and Chris we did check for them no luck! My husband was able to order 2 for $90.00 lucky for us the couch is in the driveway hopefully we can take to someone on Friday! Left another message for Mitch at Forest River no return call yet!
Kherm,
Contact your dealer. They should have come with the coach! If they don't have them, see if they can do better on the price for you.
Tom

Old 05-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #34

So day 3 tried calling Randy he is not available till next Tuesday! Left another message to Mitch went on line to get Randy's email address not posted anyone able to share that with me? A bit disappointed in the Service at minimum Mitch should return my call. Looks like we're grounded for a few weeks trying to get this fixed!
Old 05-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #35

RHouser@forestriverinc.com
It's always first int. and last name.
E mail is a great way to work with them our any business. Think how easy it is to forward e mail to the proper person. Stay involved here and most issues will be talked about before your problem comes up. Search will find everything like email and phone numbers. They are listed hundreds of time on the forum. Is your dealer of no help. It should be a simple part a motor in This case if I remember correctly and a Rv repair Pearson to put it in.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kherm View Post
So day 3 tried calling Randy he is not available till next Tuesday! Left another message to Mitch went on line to get Randy's email address not posted anyone able to share that with me? A bit disappointed in the Service at minimum Mitch should return my call. Looks like we're grounded for a few weeks trying to get this fixed!

Reading this again it's important to understand that this is a working office. The guys are all over the plant working and are out if the office a lot. Maybe the should have secretary's but they don't. Right or wrong that's the wY most of the industry works. E mail and I have never had them not back to me in 24 hours. Also try Andy in parts if you just need a part. Have you had a Rv person look at it yet? I just don't understand why your dealer is not more help. Feel free to PM me and I will give you my phone number and we can talk more about it if you think that can help. I know Tom had the same issue. PM him he's a great guy and will help in any wAy he can.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #37

Phil, Thank you and yes if we could we would contact dealership. We purchased at McMahon's RV Forest River no longer does business with them. And of course we understand that they are in the middle of being sold. So unfortunately we only have Forest River to go to! We may need to just trade it in so we can reestablish with a dealership that could help us out! This forum has certainly answered the question on what the problem is. Once we receive the safety straps that we had to purchase we will take it and get it fixed. I just wanted to clarify with Mitch that the fix would work! I do own a business myself customer service is and should always be a priority appreciate your comments'
Old 05-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #38

Ok read more and you don't need to wait on the slide locks. A 2x4 cut to size and placed in between the slide frame and the coach will allow it to be driven anywhere. 5min and you can be in the road.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #39

Did that still creeped out went with caution and ordered straps should be in today! Don't want to cause any further damage. 😄
Old 05-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #40

Cadbid,
Definitely the motor/gear box. That is the same noise mine made. Just as an FYI, the motor/gear box is usually installed as one unit. Once it is swapped out, all of the cables would need to be adjusted.
Good luck,
Tom

Tags
slide, slide out