Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Slide topper fabric wrinkles on one end

I have a 2014 class A motor home with 4 slides. The slide topper on one slide wrinkles on one end when the slide is retracted. What could I do to remedy this problem?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4192525.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	50288  

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

When it is deployed, check to see that it is centered on the roller. If not, center it and pop rivet it thru the hems on both sides.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #3

Coot,
what do you mean by 'through the hems'?
Tom

Old 04-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #4

Mine does the same Tom. Usually on the master bed slide.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Coot,
what do you mean by 'through the hems'?
Tom
This is not a topper, but it shows the hem.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pop Rivet in Awning.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	50329  
Old 04-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
Cyclone

I never had this problem until last weekend when we were driving in 50 mph plus cross winds. This caused exactly what OC described. The material pushed down the tube which causes the wrinkles. I reduced it by extending the slide then unrolled the rest by hand and pulled it back. It will be easier with two people because the spring loaded tube will need to be held while you pull the material back. Unfortunately, on my dinnette slide, there is enough extra material that it will be very difficult to rivet it in place.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Forest River Forums mobile app

Camping nights: 2015 - 19, 2014 - 39, 2013 - 48
beipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
I have a 2014 class A motor home with 4 slides. The slide topper on one slide wrinkles on one end when the slide is retracted. What could I do to remedy this problem?
Thanks
Their are 2 things to do, I had the same problem and what caused the problem was that on the left end my slide came out of adjustment and dropped 1/2". How you can tell is if your decals do not line up when closed. The 2nd thing you have to do is let the slide out, on top at the rail attached to the trailer is slotted and has a screw going through the material. Remove the screw and pull the material over and redrill the set crew over a bit after you tighten the topper.
a pair of vise grips work well to grab the material and pull it tight. What OC is talking about is a way to fix an awning to keep it centered when opened. A topper doesn't open all the way like the awning. Mine was rolling up on an angle being the slide dropped. I got most of the wrinkle out. That's on my list for goshen. I only have the problem on 1 slide out of 3. Do not know now if the dealer has that slide corrected yet. It has started to happen again. Or now the material has stretched....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:55 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

You need a helper to finish unrolling the slide awning and hold it while riveting and then switch ends, the awnings aren't rolled that tight and you can always wedge a block of wood on one of the knobs and against the slide to hold it from trying to roll back up.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #9

Here is a picture when the slide slip down on the left side fully extended. This stretched the fabric, There are screws on top, you can see how it is pulling down. You can install pop rivets as stated, but the cause is on top at the trailer not under the 4 wraps on the roller. The roller will walk being not level when brought in. This will also cause the set screw to make the whole bigger and it will walk and cause the wrinkle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	topper 028.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	50355  

Old 04-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #10

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look at it this week. I want to try to get it fixed because I ordered slide topper roller covers and they should be delivered some time next week other wise I would have waited until Goshen to get it looked at.
Thanks again and Happy Easter to all.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Here is a picture when the slide slip down on the left side fully extended. This stretched the fabric, There are screws on top, you can see how it is pulling down. You can install pop rivets as stated, but the cause is on top at the trailer not under the 4 wraps on the roller. The roller will walk being not level when brought in. This will also cause the set screw to make the whole bigger and it will walk and cause the wrinkle.
Regardless, the awning material should be centered on the roller, first,then the slide retracted and the material aligned accordingly in the track on the trailer and anchored. The material will eventually shrink or expand accordingly.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:22 AM   #12

I'm not disagreeing with your method, The pictures where sent to Dometic by the dealer. They agreed the material stretched. The dealer installed a new fabric and raised the lowside. Now when the slide is closed the decals line up. I'm telling the OP what happened on mine. He could have 100 different things that happened. I think anyone with a brain knows the roller and awning anchor needs to be lined up. That was not my problem. If you read the dometic web site they say once the material stretches it will not come back. I guess that's why they sent the dealer a new one and told them to level the slide. I don't know OC that is what I was told. I'm still not happy with the new one. But it's not walking anymore. I'm not a trailer expert or a dealer who see's these problem daily. All I want is for it to roll correctly, because wrinkles will reduce the life span. I just do not think a pop rivet is the answer IMO. I still say that when they installed the new fabric they did not put enough winds in. On dometic web site it tells you how many winds each model needs for tension. My dealer couldn't tell me how many winds they put in the roller. That's why I will wait for Goshen. From Linda and I we WISH EVERYONE A HAPPY EASTER>

Old 04-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #13

Here is the slide lifted and new topper
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new topper 001.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	50440  

Tags
slide