Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Slides in or out?

After our last trip we cleaned the rv and left the slides out, planning to reload for the next trip within a few weeks. Medical issues arose that have delayed any trips for the next couple of months.
The slides are still out.
My question is: Does it matter whether the slides remain out for a few months? Any downsides? I am thinking probably not since when on an extended stay, like snow-birding, the slides would remain out the whole time.

Just wondering. Easy enough to retract them but trying to understand if it makes a difference.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #2

It really doesn't make a difference as it is rated to be out like you stated for extended stays or full timing... I personally would bring them in and really don't have a really good answer as to why other than I feel it would provide a little better weather seal...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

My slide-out seals came off after 3 camping trips, make sure you continue to check those!!!
gsnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #4

We're on a seasonal site and our slides are out from April 15th to October 15th. Never had a problem although I do treat the seals twice a season with Aerospace 303 UV Protectant.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #5

When we get home from a trip, we plug it in and run the slide out. It stays out until our next trip. The only time it is pulled in for an extended period is during the winter. Every RV dealership I've seen has all the slides out on the units in their lot 24/7/365. If it works for them.....
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #6

For the time it takes I would pull them in. I get some rain accumulating on the dinning room slide out topper as it's a big area and doesn't hold enough tension for the water to bounce off. The others can hold a bit too so would hate to worry about weight and stretching the awning material over the slides, especially the big one as it does have some sag to it after a storm. And like someone mentioned here as well, makes for a better weather seal and the rear wardrobe slide cables aren't exposed to the elements either. Or the shafts in hyrdaulic cylinders for the other slides. I mean all little things that aren't too big of a deal but I'd sleep better knowing they were in a secure. My 0.02cents
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #7

Before you bring them back in, get up on top of the unit and clean the top of the slides off of any debris.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #8

I agree with speedmerchant.
Less wear and tear on the Toppers, keeps the Sun off the seals, a better seal and less places for those little guys who fly or crawl and always want to invade through any opening they can find.
GOOD LUCK
AREA51
AREA51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
For the time it takes I would pull them in. I get some rain accumulating on the dinning room slide out as it's a big area and doesn't hold enough tension for the water to bounce off. The others can hold a bit too but not enough to worry about weight and stretching the awning material over the slides, but the big one does have some sag to it after a storm. And like someone mentioned here as well, makes for a better weather seal and the rear wardrobe slide cables aren't exposed to the elements either. Or the shafts in hyrdaulic cylinders for the other slides. I mean all little things that aren't too big of a deal but I'd sleep better knowing they were in a secure. My 0.02cents
X2!! I agree!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by avolnek View Post
It really doesn't make a difference as it is rated to be out like you stated for extended stays or full timing... I personally would bring them in and really don't have a really good answer as to why other than I feel it would provide a little better weather seal...
As sad as this makes me to say - I think I completely agree with avon. I don't have any real reason why I'd bring them, I just likely would.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I am sold on bringing in the slides rather than having all of the components exposed for no reason. Wouldn't be an issue if we were in it. I will check and clean the toppers, ensuring no debris on the slides, clean and treat the cables and pistons as well.
Thanks again.

Tags
slide, slide out