Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #1

Slope question

I'm concerned our driveway has too much of a slope to handle a 36-40 ft Coach. Does anyone have suggestions on how to determine without bringing one home?
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #2

If you have a level with a laser in it maybe that would be a good place to start. Place the level at the high end of the drive way and see how much it drops were the wheels or jacks mark on the drive way. That will tell you how much of a ramp you may have to build out of wood/ metal to make it level.
First measure the wheel base or the distance between the jacks and mark it on you drive way.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm assuming that your concern is the amount of rear overhang on the MH and the upward slope of your driveway?

Wrapperman gave you an excellent method to measure...all you need to know is the distance from the rear tire to the lowest point at the rear of the MH and also the distance of that lowest point to the ground. Every MH will be different so you'll need specific measurements.

Dave

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #4

Thanks. I'm worried about two aspects - the middle and the tail. See my very bad drawing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2534508215.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	44519
Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, now I understand your issue. As far as the center problem, you'll need to know the wheelbase of the MH and the minimum ground clearance between the front and rear axles. With that info you could do a rudimentary test by tying a string the length of the wheelbase to 2 yardsticks at the minimum ground clearance. With the string tight, position over the area that you're concerned with to see if you'd have clearance.

The rear-most clearance would be a little harder to determine but could be done also. You'd need to know the length from the rear axle to the lowest point at the rear of the MH and what that minimum ground clearance is. Add that length of string to the other setup, and test keeping the string in line with the one attached to the two yardsticks. Looks like it'd be a 3 person job.

It sounds bizarre but it should work. Let your neighbors know what you're doing so they don't call in a 'code white' (psychiatric episode)!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #6

Is the driveway paved? If not, you can fix that problem with a skidloader.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #7

I've got a similar problem with trying to et my 5th wheel up my driveway but all those methods listed above make my brain hurt. I'm gonna do what fast Murray said and get a skid steer to regrade in the spring.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #8

Thanks! We will be home next week and see if we can do what is suggested. Yes, the driveway is paved. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #9

Debbie, try this, take three measurements. One, the length from the center rear wheel of your Solera to the end. Compare that to the other coach. If its close and your Solera doesn't scrap, the tail on the other one probably won't either. Two, take a measurement center wheel to center wheel, or obtain the wheel base number of the other unit. Three, take a tape measure, stretch it out over the hump keeping both ends of the tape at center wheel height off the ground and see how close it nears the highest point of your driveway. That should give you a close approximation. But, its just a suggestion, so drive slow if you do the physical test instead.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #10

Years ago, my dad has the same problem with his fiver. He constucted a flat parking space next to the house with a new paved driveway. Entry slope from the street was fine, but when the traler leveled out, it tore up the bed of the PU. He ws able to use the driveway for other vehicles, but not the intentended one.

2004 Georgetown 326DS
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote