Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #1

Sofa Bed Weight Limit?

I have a 2014 390RB-60 Berkshire with the (I assume) standard sofa bed. We have some relatives that may visit for a few days but are concerned whether the sofa bed has a weight limit since the combined weight will be somewhere around 550-600 lbs. I certainly do not want to offend them but also do not want to break anything.
Anyone know whether the bed will handle this?
Old 07-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #2

Sofa Bed Weight Limit?

I do not want to be in your situation. I have the BH model which may be the same sofa bed. I would think that it would hold the weight. But I do not know of any weight limits. Good luck!

My son in law is a big dude, he goes about 6'5" and about 265, my daughter is average size. No problems with them sleeping on my sofa bed.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #3

Have you ever slept on that fold out sofa bed?
Have you folded it out and laid on it?
No one we now has been able to sleep on it.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #4

Yes Dan I have, I never slept on it though. We keep a 3" foam pad in the bunks, we roll that out over the sofa bed when in use.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Have you ever slept on that fold out sofa bed?
Have you folded it out and laid on it?
No one we now has been able to sleep on it.

I have laid on it but not over night.... I assume you are talking about the blow up air matress. I found it quite comfortable and I am a "svelte" 250 lbs.

My son has slept on over night for 4-5 nights and said he slept quite well.

HOWEVER, putting upward of 500+ lbs on it will like cause a severe "blow out".

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
I have laid on it but not over night.... I assume you are talking about the blow up air matress. I found it quite comfortable and I am a "svelte" 250 lbs.

My son has slept on over night for 4-5 nights and said he slept quite well.

HOWEVER, putting upward of 500+ lbs on it will like cause a severe "blow out".

Boowho??

Boo
Do you have the sofa with the big drawer underneath? That is what we have in our 2012 Berk 360 BH. Our blow up mattress and pump are stored in the drawer. Never used the mattress. I have not seen another with this sofa arrangement.
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #7

I'm not sure we are all talking about the same style fold out bed.
Our 2014 390RB-60 (like the OP) did not have a blow up mattress,
and the sections are not level to the other.
It ends up with a big dip in the across middle of it that we had to try to fill in with pillows.

We did buy a good air mattress that helps, but I was actually just trying to give the OP an 'out'.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #8

I would really love to have a regular sofa bed that has the metal frame and a mattress that you can make up and just pull it out and it is ready to go. This is what we had in our '08 Berkshire. Now, as I'm sure you know, we need to unfold the sofa, take a rolled up air mattress with a foam topper that we keep in the area behind the pullout, blow up the air mattress that we took out of an Air Dream mattress (https://www.airdream.net/) and then make the bed up for sleeping. A real PIA if you ask me. This combination seems to work well for sleeping but not so much for convenience.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:00 AM   #9

Correct Dan, this is a different sofa bed. It folds out to form the bed, it uses the sofa cushions. It is a little hard and it is not a level surface once in sleeping position. This is why we keep a foam topper stored in the bunk house and use that on top of the sofa bed.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #10

I have the same sofa in my Columbus I would think it would be hard to sleep on but my son and my brother and his wife both sleep on it like baby's. If this is the one you are asking weight issue about I believe you will be fine my brother tips at 350# and his wife at 300.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:00 PM   #11

WE replaced our sleeper sofa 2 inch mattress that came with the MH.Berkshire.
This is the best ever, even bought another one for out sleeper sofa in our den. Look up Sofa sleeper mattress then air Dream air over coil sofa bed mattress. The Best!!
Pictures of how it inflates and deflates all sizes and fits perfect on our pull out sleeper sofa and VERY comfortable like a regular mattress.
Palmtreepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
I'm not sure we are all talking about the same style fold out bed.
Our 2014 390RB-60 (like the OP) did not have a blow up mattress,
and the sections are not level to the other.
It ends up with a big dip in the across middle of it that we had to try to fill in with pillows.

We did buy a good air mattress that helps, but I was actually just trying to give the OP an 'out'.
Here is what I have found with the sofa bed in question:
1. Be sure the fold out leg is fully extended. It doesnt extend to sleeping position on its own.
2. I didnt like that metal leg on the porcelain tile so we put a floor rug under that metal leg.

What I recall is that it wasnt level at all until I realized that leg needed to be pulled all the way to the stops. My boy sleeps on it on an air mattress.
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:05 AM   #13

Our couch bed is only attached at the wall. It has no support legs down when folded flat into the bed. We are not sure how much weight can be supported from just being bolted to the wall.
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I do not want to be in your situation. I have the BH model which may be the same sofa bed. I would think that it would hold the weight. But I do not know of any weight limits. Good luck!

My son in law is a big dude, he goes about 6'5" and about 265, my daughter is average size. No problems with them sleeping on my sofa bed.
Whats average size?
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruane View Post
Whats average size?

Nunya.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #16

Well i'd be worried about the GVW and load capacity for the trailer. I have a 8280WS Rockwood 5th wheel with a nominal weight of 7130 Lbs. It came off the weighbridge when all the features were added in at 7900 Lbs. The nominal cargo capacity of 1820 Lbs now becomes just over a 1000 Lbs. Th guests are quoted at up to 600LBs and lets assume the hosts are are in the same "average" then you are already overweight and you haven't added in as a minimum 500Lbs of junk for everyday living that you need. You also need to add in water, propane, extra AC etc and then you have a real problem for the frame?
Whats average and whats excessive becomes and issue. Id want to defriend guests like this before I invited them into my rig.
bruane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:02 PM   #17

I really doubt my motorhome will break because of the people that sleep in it. But thanks for your concern.

And no one and I mean no one ever ask how much a woman weighs.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruane View Post
Well i'd be worried about the GVW and load capacity for the trailer. I have a 8280WS Rockwood 5th wheel with a nominal weight of 7130 Lbs. It came off the weighbridge when all the features were added in at 7900 Lbs. The nominal cargo capacity of 1820 Lbs now becomes just over a 1000 Lbs. Th guests are quoted at up to 600LBs and lets assume the hosts are are in the same "average" then you are already overweight and you haven't added in as a minimum 500Lbs of junk for everyday living that you need. You also need to add in water, propane, extra AC etc and then you have a real problem for the frame?
Whats average and whats excessive becomes and issue. Id want to defriend guests like this before I invited them into my rig.

What?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
What?
Not you Phil57
Sorry. But we are discussing the couch that turns into a bed that cantilevers off the wall, and is only attached at the wall.
What weight will the bed (couch) carry when extended out from the wall, with someone sleeping on it. Can an adult sleep on it without the attachments breaking out.
That's this subject.
Thanks.
barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie1 View Post
Not you Phil57
Sorry. But we are discussing the couch that turns into a bed that cantilevers off the wall, and is only attached at the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrie1 View Post
That's this subject.
Thanks.
Are you sure? The OP said 2014 390RB-360

Here's a pic of my 2014 390RB-360 sofa,

and the couch extended into a bed.

I'll say no more until the OP identifies what kind of sofa bed he is talking about.

Gottawonder
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, weight