Old 08-25-2015, 06:13 AM   #1

Solar Panels on a Berkshire

Interested in seeing and learning about what it takes besides money to put panels up on the roof. We do have a residential refrigerator and a 2000 watt inverter. Thought I read somewhere that the Berkshire came prewired for solar panels but maybe not.

So does anyone have any pictures or info on systems they've installed or have had done?

Thanks !!

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #2

No one has solar panels on their coach ?

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #3

Joe,
Don't have solar on my coach, but the only thing that I know that the coach is pre-wired for is satellite. Never heard that it is pre-wired for solar. Also, give it overnight to get a response. Not everyone here is retired so they may not have see this post until later.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Joe,
Don't have solar on my coach, but the only thing that I know that the coach is pre-wired for is satellite. Never heard that it is pre-wired for solar. Also, give it overnight to get a response. Not everyone here is retired so they may not have see this post until later.
Well ok, have been looking at lots of different coaches lately. Not the end of the world, just more work.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 08-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #5
CCRVOC

In my opinion you're better off running your own wires anyways so you can size your wire to the size system you're going install.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 640w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
In my opinion you're better off running your own wires anyways so you can size your wire to the size system you're going install.

Thanks Ramblin. From your signature I see you have 640 watts of solar on your 5th. Do you have a res. fridg.? Does the set up you have run everything except the a.c. ?What brand of panels did you buy ? Thanks again for any info.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 08-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #7

Unless you are going to do some serious boondocking, is there a real need for solar charging? Inquiring minds need to know.
We've been on the road three months now and between driving long distances, the generator and RV Parks solar would be a waste of money for us.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-25-2015, 04:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Boy View Post
Unless you are going to do some serious boondocking, is there a real need for solar charging? Inquiring minds need to know.
We've been on the road three months now and between driving long distances, the generator and RV Parks solar would be a waste of money for us.

Paul
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

To be honest with you Paul, I don't know, guess I won't till I really start using the rig which at this point will be limited for this year. Just curious mainly not knowing what kind of lasting power the coach batteries will give.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 08-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #9

I don't have any panel either and they way we use our MH it would not be necessary. As for how long batteries last it depends greatly on what shape they are in and what kind. I have read that most folks with a red. fridge and great stock batteries can run the fridge for 8-12 hours depending on the conditions. This would easily last us on any day of driving but we would have a problem if we stopped at a Walmart for the night. So at some point we would run the generator.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #10

A lot has been written on this subject. Try the search function as without searching all that info is lost. Very good tool we have.

Tags
berkshire, solar, solar panel