Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #1

Spare equipment list

My last post, and the fact that I will be making my first long haul trip later this year, got me thinking about compiling a list of spare parts and necessities that we can carry with us on our travels. I see that so many of you have a huge amount of experience that there has to be items that novices wouldn't even think of.

So, what do you carry with you on your trips? What kind of tools, fluids, parts, etc. Thanks.
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

Talking

Paper clip, Para cord, duct tape, Leatherman and a bottle of Jack.

If the above can not fix it, It's time to call in the pros.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #3
Professional Texan

My list
  • WD-41
  • Silicone Spray
  • Duct Tape
A three drawer tool box full of tools such as:
  • Wrenches and pliers
  • Screw drivers (all kinds)
  • Multimeter (Volt / ohm / Temperature)
  • Wire working tools
  • A small parts box full of wire nuts, tie wraps, misc screws and nuts
    TV cable connectors.
  • Extension mirror
  • Extension Magnet
  • Stapler with stamps and nails
I always carry a wireless 3/8" drill with bits.

Spare parts? Not so much but I do have a few but nothing I couldn't get at Home Depot or Wal-Mart.

This probably not a complete list generally this is what I take.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #4

I carry extra oil, some transmission fluid, anti-freeze, oil and fuel filters, basic tools (screw drivers - note almost all of the screws used have square heads, pliers, wrenches, allen wrenches), lubricants to lubricate hinges and locks, a variety of fuses, and of course duct tape. I'm sure that I am forgetting things but this is a good start.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #5

The only thing you need is......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_4655-imp.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	52795  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
Spare parts? Not so much but I do have a few but nothing I couldn't get at Home Depot or Wal-Mart.
Try finding a Thetford Toilet Flush Valve at Wal-Mart. When that goes out it is "game over" till you get it fixed.

I also carry a roll of Eternabond (they were giving a "repair roll" away at the 2013 Rally as a party favor). Put a tear in the roof with rain the the forecast and you will wish you had it. I have a small wallpaper seal roller that I use to press the tape down.

I carry a caulking gun with a tube of Dicor Lap Sealant for the same reason. A daub under the tear to keep it waterproof and the tape on top for a permanent fix.

I carry a small tube of white flexible sealant for the vertical seams (like around the windows and doors) again something you might need in a hurry if rain is forecast.

I carry two rolls of "Gorilla Tape" (speed tape; 100 MPH tape; etc) for mishaps on the road.

I carry various lengths of ZIP ties (up to 36 inches) and find I need them every trip for some project or expedient.

Would go no where without my DeWalt 1/2 inch battery drill and good bit and socket sets.

I am never without my pop rivet gun and an assortment of pop rivets and washers. I seem to repair at least one person's awning every trip!

Soldering gun and acid core solder, wire cutters, needle nose, 3/8 drive socket set (metric and SAE), hammer, short pry bar, one of those cool multi-use screw drivers, Channel Lock Pliers, and an assortment of fasteners.

For plumbing, I have an assortment of hose adapters, Y shutoff valves, and repair parts. ALWAYS buy brass! Those plastic ones get brittle and you do not need a waterfall at 3 AM.

Somebody stop me!!!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
The only thing you need is......

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX222222222222222222!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

boowho???
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Try finding a Thetford Toilet Flush Valve at Wal-Mart. When that goes out it is "game over" till you get it fixed.

I also carry a roll of Eternabond (they were giving a "repair roll" away at the 2013 Rally as a party favor). Put a tear in the roof with rain the the forecast and you will wish you had it. I have a small wallpaper seal roller that I use to press the tape down.

I carry a caulking gun with a tube of Dicor Lap Sealant for the same reason. A daub under the tear to keep it waterproof and the tape on top for a permanent fix.

I carry a small tube of white flexible sealant for the vertical seams (like around the windows and doors) again something you might need in a hurry if rain is forecast.

I carry two rolls of "Gorilla Tape" (speed tape; 100 MPH tape; etc) for mishaps on the road.

I carry various lengths of ZIP ties (up to 36 inches) and find I need them every trip for some project or expedient.

Would go no where without my DeWalt 1/2 inch battery drill and good bit and socket sets.

I am never without my pop rivet gun and an assortment of pop rivets and washers. I seem to repair at least one person's awning every trip!

Soldering gun and acid core solder, wire cutters, needle nose, 3/8 drive socket set (metric and SAE), hammer, short pry bar, one of those cool multi-use screw drivers, Channel Lock Pliers, and an assortment of fasteners.

For plumbing, I have an assortment of hose adapters, Y shutoff valves, and repair parts. ALWAYS buy brass! Those plastic ones get brittle and you do not need a waterfall at 3 AM.

Somebody stop me!!!
Actually I do have a Thetford Toilet Flush Valve onboard.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:04 PM   #9

JJ don't get too overly concerned about having everything you need to survive a camping trip. If you carried everything you could possibly need mechanically, electrically or plumbingly??? you wouldn't have room for you or your family. Keep a modestly stocked tool box, duct tape, spare fuses & a volt meter. Save room for the fun stuff like adult beverages, kid beverages & food. Enjoy the ride and we have your back if anything comes up.

If you load up for bear, I can guarantee you when something breaks you won't have the right part anyway.

Safe travels.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
If you load up for bear, I can guarantee you when something breaks you won't have the right part anyway.
Safe travels.
Ain't that the truth. With the new requirements of the DW's medical equipment my attitude is gonna have to change. Now THAT is going to be an adjustment, believe you me!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

Somebody stop me!!!
Are you sure you're not pulling an extra
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS behind ya?

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #12
2011 Berkshire 390BH

JJvike, I attended Freightliner Camp, as did others here. We were advised to carry the following: 1). Serpentine Belt
2). Fuel Filter
3). Fuel filter/water separator
4). Filtration wrench

In addition, I also carry a cable for the wardrobe slide, as well as tools already mentioned and plastic gloves for messing with the battery and the black water tank.

Craig

Finally completed all State visits in August 2011 with a trip to North Dakota.
Superchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
NELA

OK, I'll go ahead and be the first to admit;

I'm waiting for OC to post his supply list!

Y'all might as well go ahead and admit the same.

AND, I'll admit I just jumped over on eBay and bought a roll of eternabond tape. Thanks for the heads-up Herk!

I was actually surprised at what all DH had thought to stock. Of course I *knew* he was going to get himself a new wireless grill. Just told me this past weekend that he likes the new one he bought for the RV so much he thinks he needs a new one just like it for his shop.

But, he's got fuses galore, volt meter, I asked wmtire to pick up one of those infrared thermometers for us (he's a trooper), he's got an entirely outfitted tool box including all those odd shaped screwdriver/drill bit heads...yanno those "let's see if this sucker's got *THIS* one" type screws they put in our RVs. He has a torque wrench he keeps in the TV. Did that before we ever went on our shakedown with the V-Lite. I'm downright impressed with 'im, I tell ya.

Oh, yeah....I forgot....he's got that all important roll of duct tape as well as Teflon tape.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #14

the number one thing for us is a FULLY STOCKED FIRST AID KIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #15
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance View Post
the number one thing for us is a FULLY STOCKED FIRST AID KIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOT THAT! CHECK

And he has a grease gun.

Hmmmm, my list is beginnin' to look like Herk's!

Old 05-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superchief View Post
JJvike, I attended Freightliner Camp, as did others here. We were advised to carry the following: 1). Serpentine Belt
2). Fuel Filter
3). Fuel filter/water separator
4). Filtration wrench

In addition, I also carry a cable for the wardrobe slide, as well as tools already mentioned and plastic gloves for messing with the battery and the black water tank.

Craig
Yep, nitrile gloves for us....AND the gel alcohol hand wash.