Old 07-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #1

Steep Grade.

We just pulled into Watkins Glen NY and happy to be here. There was two grades we pulled coming into town that I seriously thought we weren't going to make. I have no idea what the grade is but the first started on a right turn so we had no run at it. I was in second gear about 10 mph at the top. The second one I was in 1st gear and 5mph at the top. That one I thought I was screwed. Flat out nothing left. I have the 340 motor and the 2500 Allison Trans. I think I need a hp mod. I have a few ideas but I'm not doing that again. Very stressful.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:09 PM   #2

At times like that it's best to ignore the cars around you.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:41 PM   #3

Oh I did. Not worried about anything but getting to the top.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:03 PM   #4

I believe its a 6 or 7 % grade When I hit it the first time with my ford F150 with the Eco boost I said here goes my first reel test and It passed with flying colors. I was able to keep up with normal traffic towing my 8000lbs TT this engine has plenty of HP and torque. Oh by the way be careful coming back down I've smelled plenty of trucks burning there brakes
Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDE OUT View Post
I believe its a 6 or 7 % grade When I hit it the first time with my ford F150 with the Eco boost I said here goes my first reel test and It passed with flying colors. I was able to keep up with normal traffic towing my 8000lbs TT this engine has plenty of HP and torque. Oh by the way be careful coming back down I've smelled plenty of trucks burning there brakes

This was way more than 6 or 7. We were way off the beaten path and I'm guessing here but we got off 87 at Bath and took 54 to 23 to mud lake road I think. We decided we wanted to find a campground so we got off and never found one. I just let our GPS do the route. Bad idea. I have pulled a 7 with my Enclave behind me now we pull a Jeep Wangler two door that is 2 thousand pounds lighter. Worse the first grade we started from a dead stop and the second we started from a roll at about 15 mph. I tried to find info on the grade but haven't yet. I'm very curious because this was the absolute max for this rig.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #6

This is a perfect example of why I have 4wd TV s with manual front hubs.When I see something like this comming, I can pull the transfer case into 4LOW,but of course the front hubs are disengaged, so its really 2LOW ! This doubles my gearing advantage and if the rear tires dont break loose,I can climbe almost anything. I use this technique when backing into spots and manuvering as it really gives the converter a rest which in turn keeps the fluid cool. Remember there is no air flowing accross the trans cooler at 3-4 mph when backing around to spot the trailer!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:01 PM   #7

Did you manually downshift as you started up???

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-06-2015, 11:41 PM   #8

Yes I did. I kept the rpm's high. I will send in a suggested fix for my gps. It should have warned me well before I was committed.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:56 PM   #9

Will a GPS warn of a steep grade ?? Mine will warn of low bridges, narrow roads, etc but not grades and it's the truckers version....

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-07-2015, 12:55 AM   #10

I have done that in my old Class C motorhome with the V-10 engine. Not fun!
Did you happen to see what your temperature gauges were reading during the climb? Either engine or transmission.