Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
Step makes knocking sound

Step started making a knocking sound when retracting or extending. Any thoughts?

jimwillis00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Had the same issue, replaced the motor under warranty.

billygo3251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:23 AM   #3
i had the sane problem on my gtowne at 23.5 months old
dlr replaced motor and controller under warranty
liven life in east TN and wherever my
2011georgetown280ve, and
2016 fordexplorer and hemi RAM
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
I have had the same recurring problem. Since my dealer is far away I took it to a local non FR dealer who replaced (at my own expense) the gear which had a broken off tooth. This fix lasted about 2 days of use then the loud clunking sound is back. Hopefully I can get mine to the dealer while under warranty for replacement. I have heard the manufacturerof the step (Coach Step) is not very good to deal with.
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
I have been dealing with this for awhile as well, mine is a "Quicky Step". The motor was replaced with no change-clunking after full close stroke still there. This will quickly wear down the teeth on the clam gear responsible for powering the step thru its range of motion. I took the motor back out and physically moved the step fully in & out a few times to see if there was anything hindering its travel.Turns out there was, the little "ball joint" type connection in the mechanism has lock nuts that had worked loose allowing this adjustment to shorten the "step closed" stroke enough to put significant resistance into the final 1 inch of travel. My guess here is the motor stops only when it encounters complete resistance, ie. step fully stroked out (in or out). I adjusted the closed stroke so it freely moved, tightened the lock nuts & re-installed my two year old motor to find the problem fixed. The point I wish to make here is this motor WILL NOT turn off with just a little resistance, it keeps turning until it times out, so when the step- after a couple a hundred uses or so-goes out of alignment this clunking is the result-the motor thinks there is still room to move so it just keeps running.The last tooth of my clam gear is now worn right off but by adjusting the "close" stroke with the "ball joint" thingy the step works fine & I got my $100 deductible back on this $195 motor. Now I will check those locking nuts for tightness periodically. Might have to replace this worn gear eventually but "if it works don't fix it" is good enough till then. Why the RV techs at my dealership didn't explore "adjustment" as a possible solution should be a heads up to all RV owners.
ruffis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Great info thanks!
mjracsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
I had the same problem and recently had it fixed on warranty. From what I can gather, this is a very well documented problem with this particular motor.

Was given a bit of a run around by the local Berk dealer buy was able to get the work done without question through an other local RV Dealer.

Good Luck
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
Originally Posted by ruffis View Post
Why the RV techs at my dealership didn't explore "adjustment" as a possible solution should be a heads up to all RV owners.
This is problematic with MANY techs IMHO. I just had a guy from an RV service (in Apache Junction, AZ) emphatically tell me that the cooling unit in my dometic fridge was shot. Cost = $2200 to replace.

Consulted another tech who simply tapped lightly with a small hammer on the coils (to dislodge a "bubble" be suspected was in there) after he spent over an hour diagnosing, and fridge is PERFECT.

Plus, not only did the original idiot not have enough sense to be embarrassed, he actually "went off" on me for consulting the second tech. Guess his best laid plans to screw me over went awry.

So, I agree..... Keep a big heads up for incompetent or maybe downright crooked techs. Some of them just see we MH owners as a bottomless pot of money!!

OBTW.... I have the same symptoms and will trouble shoot/repair it using your technique.

boowho is offline   Reply With Quote