Old 08-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Tom, as for the steps delayed reaction mine started doing that on the way to Goshen last year. The Lipert guys crawled under there for a couple of minutes and fixed it. Been working correctly ever since.
I know that doesn't help much, but it indicates it might be something simple that they could talk you through over the phone.

I sure wish someone would figure out what only took a couple of minutes to fix. This step is driving me crazy and as the DW says that's her job.

Wayne

Old 08-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
I just have had some problems with my step and contacted Lippert and learned a few things which substantiates Phils post.

Lippert calls my step the "Coach Step", which they did away with (do not know when) and replaced it with the "Quickie Step". The Coach Step has the motor underneath, while the Quickie has the motor above the frame. Their web literature does not clearly address this and could be confusing if one was to order a part. This leads to a question as to how long parts will be available for the Coach Step.

Hank that's interesting because my 2015 XL uses the coach step label on it says coach step. Wish we could find out when they made the switch and is the new interchangeable with the coach step. Think when my unit goes to factory for fixing in Nov might have to insist they change the step.

Wayne

Old 08-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #33

The step and water heater were the two things that drove me crazy for the past 4 years. I have finally resolved both issues.

Water heater was changed from auto/low to high/low.

After replacing step motor 3 times Lipperts finally comped me an entire step assembly.

Almost a year has passed and no further issues.

As far as front door switches are concerned ... labels are not very intuitive. Switch labeled isle controls light below TV, part way up step, under step outside, and the light inside the grab handle.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:26 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Dan and Marty. Mine works as you both described. I see no reason for it to work like that as it makes the step switch useless. I never us it because I don't want to cycle the steps every time I open the door.
As for the step replacement they put the replaced mine with the same model it came with. I haven't had any issues with it so far.
Phil; my steps seized up a month ago and would hardly move. After removing the step linkage and the gear motor, I isolated the problem to the step gear plate. I could not budge it with a pry bar. After pounding it back and forth, it moved but not easily. Put the steps back together and it now moves like a dream. I would sometimes have my steps out for three months. I now have the steps going in and out with the door.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #35

Well smack me and call me crazy. I didn't even know the steps lite up until this thread.
I have an idea to Phil's suggestion on having the step switch off and the light coming on when the door is open but I'm no electrician so you more experienced RV'ers may be able to figure this out.
-Buy a stainless door switch (see pic), drill a hole to install through the door jam
-attach the wiring to the purple wire on the step assembly
In theory with this switch the light should come on when the door opens. You could pull power off the aisle switch which lights up the coach handle when on or the porch light.
Let us know if anyone figured this out
Thanks
Stephen

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1439855010.642085.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  49.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
Yes I found that in the manual suggesting connecting to the porch light. I also verified that the light will come on if 12 volts is connected to the purple wire.
Now I am just looking for someplace other than the porch lights to pick up the 12 volts.
Would be nice if they came on when your open the door, whether the steps were in or out.
You can get the 12 volts from anywhere. Install a 5amp inline fuse and use a plunger type switch (as suggested) or perhaps another magnetic door switch. The interconnect possibilities are endless. You'll get the right one for your application.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephencamiolo View Post
Well smack me and call me crazy. I didn't even know the steps lite up until this thread.
I have an idea to Phil's suggestion on having the step switch off and the light coming on when the door is open but I'm no electrician so you more experienced RV'ers may be able to figure this out.
-Buy a stainless door switch (see pic), drill a hole to install through the door jam
-attach the wiring to the purple wire on the step assembly
In theory with this switch the light should come on when the door opens. You could pull power off the aisle switch which lights up the coach handle when on or the porch light.
Let us know if anyone figured this out
Thanks
Stephen

Attachment 85976

Careful, the switch shown is a grounding switch as most older vehicles ran power through the lamps and closed the ground to turn the lamps on.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #38

Thanks
Anyone know what type switch to use?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Phil; my steps seized up a month ago and would hardly move. After removing the step linkage and the gear motor, I isolated the problem to the step gear plate. I could not budge it with a pry bar. After pounding it back and forth, it moved but not easily. Put the steps back together and it now moves like a dream. I would sometimes have my steps out for three months. I now have the steps going in and out with the door.

Did you think they seized from rust? It sounds like they need to run once in awhile. I might need to just run them once a week or so especially when parked in FL. We are on the coast and the salt will do a number on any unprotected surface.
Thanks.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:42 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You can get the 12 volts from anywhere. Install a 5amp inline fuse and use a plunger type switch (as suggested) or perhaps another magnetic door switch. The interconnect possibilities are endless. You'll get the right one for your application.
You're right, there are a number of ways to accomplish this. Right now I'm looking at trying to use the existing magnetic door switch. There is already 12 volts down by the steps. I think I can do it with a relay.

Tags
light